• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Oil Help

G-man

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi

Just spoke to a mechanic the family has known for years. TOld him I have a 383ci motor and that I was recomended to use 20 W 40 or 25 W 50.

Now I know there is valvoline, royal purple etc etc.

This mechanic said he would not use anything other than Penrite HPR 40/70.

Said hes stuck it in every car over the last 30 years, nobody has ever complained, engines that blew smoke stopped, etc etc etc. He said because its such a heavy oil it will find any spot thats not getting enough lubrication. He stays away from everything else. The higher performance motor you go the more reason to use Penrite 40/70 is basically what has been said. For my 383ci he swears by the 40/70 HPR.

Your thoughts?

Never heard of it either, if you're going to run 40/70 you you might as well run gear lube, I'll bet it does stop smoking.

Unless you're in extreme heat I wouldn't run anything that heavy, 20/50 is about max in my opinion. I run 30W and a half bottle of EOS, whatever you do if you don't run a race oil with zinc in it then add zinc.

Yeah. What he said. Amsoil Premium Protection (20/50)seems to have the highest ZDDP content of any oil currently on the market. Think I'm going to order a case and a couple of filters to see how it does in my 360 Duster, and 2.3 Turbo brand F.

But back when oil was oil, I ran Pennzoil 50w in my big blocks in the summer, and 40w in the winter.

Never heard of it

Ditto

On "OIL" from the ground, I just keep it fresh and changed often. I try to move away from the dino oil ASAP and go to Synth so long as I do not leak or burn it up.

It's been approx. 100,000+ miles on my wifes Taurus with synth. oil. I change the oil twice a year and do a filter change with it. I change the oil filter out inbetween the oil changes and just add a quart that the filter has in it.

The car has over a 150,000 and still doesn't burn any oil, operates fine and pass emissions test very well.

Synthetic Oil

I run Shell Rotella T 5-40 synthetic motor oil in my 383. Just under 1400 zddp. Works great for me. Many of the diesel oils have plenty of zinc, above 1200 zddp, up to about 1400. Keep up with motor oils at Bob Is The Oil Guy's web site. Excellent info on there.

Thanks for that.

Here is the emails I have gotten from PENRITE Oil.

Thank you for the enquiry.

We recommend HPR 30 (SAE 20W-60, API SM/CF) in your engine if it is in good condition and not using a lot of oil.

You don’t need to be concerned about using HPR 40 or HPR 50 (which is the 40 w 70) unless the engine is burning a lot of oil.

I replied:

Hi thank you for that. I have been advised by charger/challenger owners that if the oil does not have a SL rating (only SM) to stay away from the oil. I have flat tapped cam and I need alot of zinc in the oil or else its useless.

They replied back:

The API SM limits on phosphorus levels (and therefore zinc) are only applied to viscosity grades of SAE 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils. Any other grade is exempt from this limit.

Hence, HPR 30 is our recommendation for your engine. This product actually has 1580ppm of zinc, so please be assured that there are no problems using this product. HPR 30 meets more than just API SM. It meets API SM/CF and ACEA A3/B3 – this does make a difference.

Please find attached the technical bulletin on zinc levels for your perusal.

Is that good enough oil and zinc? 1580ppm?

Read attached files and chart. Notice HPR 30 (20 w 60) has more zinc than HPR 40 (25 w 70) by near 500 and HPR 50 (40 w 70) has the most zinc by near 200 over HPR 30.

Mechanic told me to still use HPR 50 because it will mean less friction which then means more horsepower. Hes done half million dollar cars with that same stuff and even got offered to work for the big Rolls Royce company down here. So is there a chance that hes found soemthing that others just by using logic think wont work well?

PENRITE.jpg

PENRITE x2.jpg

Interesting where it says "only applied to viscosity grades of SAE 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils. Any other grade is exempt from this limit."

So theoretically Pennzoil 10w30 would have low ZDDP, and straight 40w or 50w COULD HAVE high levels of ZDDP.

So the question is, if the oil companies have to remove it from most of their product, WOULD THEY continue to add it to the rest of their product?

Dont know. All I know is their HPR 30 does have a 1580ppm level of zinc however they measure/label their stuff.

is 1580 zinc enough for the 383?

is too much zinc bad since 1200 is "recomended" or its better if there is more just not less?

Uhm, stupid question but... 20W 60 means what exactly?

20 in winter and 60 (thicker) in summer for better protection when things get hotter or what?

I live in australia and it knows how to get very hot and humid here that also might be why such a thick oil recomended here (the conditions get nasty from cold 1 day to burning hot the next)

It's like that here in Texas to. "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute." lol

I haven't heard anything about to much ZDDP being a bad thing

Auto Transport Service
Back