• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine paint failure

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
I recently bought a few cans of OER Classic Blend engine paint because the color was the best match for my 63 wedge intake. Carefully prepped the intake, followed the instructions, and it looked great and matched the block paint and valve covers very well. However, after installation of the intake I had to pull the carbs and some fuel leaked out of one of the lines when I disconnected it (just a couple drops). Much to my surprise almost instantly the paint softened and could be wiped off easily? Since it says it resists all these things I am quite disappointed.

Am I missing something here? Is a topcoat needed or is the paint just not what it is supposed to be?

Thanks

I have not had that happen on my painted engines, most of which have had at least a couple carb bowl fuel leaks or flooded carbs. I would find something else to re-coat them with after stripping. OER should know better. Unfortunately you may have to get cans from 2 or 3 sources to find a good match. I went through this recently on my 66 Hemi. Turned out neither Hemi orange colors from Dupli-Color engine paints matched but Chevy orange did. Probably what the prior owner used.:rolleyes:

Bottom line with all engine paints is that if they're not catalyzed, they won't stand up to
anything "hot", even gasoline. A urethane that has an activator will hold up and will look
superior. Cross-Ram manifolds were notorious for having porosity and needed to be painted
to "seal them up". Anything out of a rattle can is just single stage paint. There may be some
products out there with an activator in the can that needs to be released and shaken, but
not aware of any engine paints.

Yeah I just can't find the correct color in any two stage or activated paints. Bummer because this color was perfect match for existing block and valve cover paint.

I wonder if there is a urethane or other clear coat that could hold up to spills and go on top of OER?

Thanks
if its aerosol highly prone to failure. also did you use propane torch to dry out any oils in the intake?
Yes I dried oils as describd by others. Paint sticks fine but gas just melts it away in a moment. This was rattly can but I do have a can of brushable in the same color. Not sure how that would make a difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back