• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine paint

Big bill

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering what rattle can engine paint is the close to the 69 440 -6pak color ?

You should be able to buy Engine paint in the correct color at NAPA or some other parts store. Probably orange for '69. There is a ton of threads on here about engine color. I think That is what I was looking for when I found this forum.

I keep saying this but VHT makes several great colors.
SP126 Chrysler blue
SP120 Hemi Orange
SP155 Chrysler Red

SP120 and 126 both are shown in these 2 engines I did.
IMG_3770.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG

I have never had any issues with VHT or Dupicolor engine enamels on my engines.

20210918_151018.jpg 100_1698.jpg 20201011_185148.jpg

MAX WEDGE ORANGE is krylon medium pumpkin orange.
Thanks max! I've been trying to find it since you first mentioned that in another thread. Still haven't found any.
As for the sixpack, just pick the hemi orange in the brand you like, they all vary. But know the lid on the air cleaner is a different shade than the hemi orange, basically Fram filter orange.

@33 IMP I just googled it and the only hit I got was on FBBO! It might be discontinued a long time ago.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I might have to try the stuff Mazzolini sells, tho It goes against the grain.
I have also heard that Omaha orange without the metalflake is right..... but it doesn't seem yellow enough, to me.

A90CE711-3F3C-496D-B4BD-425BB80EDC05.jpeg
Dupicolor de-1622 is a close color for the 69.5 440 in my opinion.

I am gonna clean my a12 motor and get the best paint match for the engine and the a/c lid, before I tear it down for the rebuild . Gonna try at least three different brands of spray cans, and Bill Hirsh brush and spray on. (Might even side-by-side with, dare I say it, c-word orange.)
I frankly think there is less variation in hemi orange, then there is in RACE hemi orange. I have seen maxwedges in at least four different shades and colors. Which is correct, for sure? I sure don't know.
I KNOW I can match 69 hemi orange.

I'm not a fan of the duplicolor. It's very thin, and ends up pretty flat. I really liked the plasticote, but couldn't find it anywhere. Then from doing some research, they were bought out by duplicolor :BangHead:

I believe that your Chrysler dealer can still get the engine paints also. I've used them almost exclusively and have good results.

I am currently using dupli color DE 1652.and VHT clear works fine so far I am clear coat the intake after 3 good cotes of paint

IMG_20220201_202334.jpg IMG_20220131_065707.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back