• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine rebuild questions

62 Dart Convertible

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
I will be soon putting the sump on the 413 I'm rebuilding. It has a factory windage and I have 2 fel-pro gaskets to install. I will contact glue the gaskets on to the block and sump, what, if anything, should I put on the sides sandwiching the windage tray?

Also, I degreed the Lunati 10230703 cam. It recommends an ICL of 106deg (4 degrees of ground in advance). I measured 107deg. Is it worth the effort to correct it that 1 degree? (I have the offset bushes but I would need to drill the timing gear.)

I put sealer on all sides but only a thin bead to minimize the squeeze out. Also watch the gasket pack as you tighten the bolts because it will feel squishy and you don't want to over tighten.

No reason in the world to adjust your cam one degree.

Cheers Meep!

I will use a thin smear of Loctite master gasket on the sump gaskets.

Didn't think one degree on the cam would matter much...

I really like Permatex #2, I coat both sides of the gasket then only snug it, then come back after it's stiffened up and torque it. I use the contact glue for places that a gasket needs held in place like intake gaskets if using them. That's just me

I really like Permatex #2, I coat both sides of the gasket then only snug it, then come back after it's stiffened up and torque it. I use the contact glue for places that a gasket needs held in place like intake gaskets if using them. That's just me

The good old gasket goo. I have used that in the past too... Cheers

So your putting the oilpan gasket on Frank so I assume your nearly done?? Or ready to paint ?

So your putting the oilpan gasket on Frank so I assume your nearly done?? Or ready to paint ?

Hey Mate

Short block is assembled and cam degreed. Next day or two I'll install oil pump, pick up and oil pan. Then on to the heads... That reminds me, I need to mock up heads and intake to see alignment as heads and block were decked (and likely not for the first time:eusa_think:.)

3 more days at work and i'm having 13 days off straight to concentrate on getting it all done.

I will start an engine rebuild thread soon....

EDIT - Did you end up getting that 426 MW shortblock?

Can't wait for the thread .Sounds like its all coming together .No doubt it'll be as nice as your carb resto. I'm glad you stayed with the carters ;))
You should be ready for summer !!!!

Waiting on some pics ,guy has to get it out of storage shed.No rush ,I'll get it !

I am aiming to have it in and running within a few weeks. I was going to hold off putting engine in until the reco steering box arrived, but I think that is going to hold things up too much.

September is the the "Bay to Birdwood" event, and weather pending, I'd like to go in it again!

Are you looking to corner the market in MW engines?!?!

Auto Transport Service
Back