• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap ideas

Funny, i have a 383 in my 4 door 67 belvedere. This is America, and if people want to run 400 to 600 horsepower so be it. No worries I'll stay off your lawn
Oh and also I’m curious …? Do you have 400-600hp on your 4 door car ?

I am not a fan of modern drive lines in classic cars. To me that takes away the nostalgia of having a classic. I have had modern Chargers and Challengers and enjoyed them but would never want that driveline in an old car. Those cars are an automatic skip for me at car shows and cruise nights. If it’s a running, driving car, I would upgrade the exhaust to get a nice rumble and see if that gives you all you need. If you aren’t racing who will know if it’s 230 or 400

Lol sure no worries man.

This is America But that doesn’t mean everyone has some common sense.

You are forgetting that the car is also a four door and it’s his car so you and him can do whatever you want, it’s your money but I’ve been on this hobby long enough to know that most of what he sinks in he won’t get back.

Anyway it’s just a discussion and I can agree to disagree
I don't do it for the money. That's for you purists. I build something because i like it. I do it for my enjoyment. Everybody has seen roadrunners, gtx's, coronet superbees/r/t's etc. I'm sure people would be intrigued by a 1967 4 door belvedere, with a big block, with a 67 GTX interior. Btw, the back seat will be a gtx rear seat with the seat surround. The bezel is being rechromed, trim holes will be filled. I contacted yoast fabrication ( yofab.com) i'm having a belvedere emblem made 1.2 inches tall, 5 inches long. It will go where the gtx emblem goes on the bezel. I won't use gtx, or satellite because i don't want to catch **** from the cool kids

Last edited:
Oh and also I’m curious …? Do you have 400-600hp on your 4 door car ?
375 horsepower black 4 door 1967 plymouth belvedere

20210921_124142.jpg

20210921_124123.jpg

20210921_124004.jpg

20210921_123929.jpg

20210921_123944.jpg

20210921_124015.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. I want to thank you all for your input. I'm not a secret millionaire or a 16 year old newbie. I chose 69 because it was the year I was born. I refuse to pay the inflated prices on a Charger. I should have gotten one a few years ago before they blew up. I looked at other Mopars from 69 but as one person said, you always see them. Then I came across the 4 door Coronet. It's got the look without the price tag.

Since I'll only be doing cruise nights and the occasional short distance road trip, I'll see what I can get out of the 318. That'll free money up to spend on suspension, interior upgrades, and wrap.

Oh, here's a couple of pics.

Screenshot_20220915-091027_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220915-091042_Facebook.jpg

Wow. I want to thank you all for your input. I'm not a secret millionaire or a 16 year old newbie. I chose 69 because it was the year I was born. I refuse to pay the inflated prices on a Charger. I should have gotten one a few years ago before they blew up. I looked at other Mopars from 69 but as one person said, you always see them. Then I came across the 4 door Coronet. It's got the look without the price tag.

Since I'll only be doing cruise nights and the occasional short distance road trip, I'll see what I can get out of the 318. That'll free money up to spend on suspension, interior upgrades, and wrap. Oh, here's a couple of pics.

View attachment 1343262

View attachment 1343263
Nice color on your car. Looks great too.

Lol sure no worries man.

This is America But that doesn’t mean everyone has some common sense.

You are forgetting that the car is also a four door and it’s his car so you and him can do whatever you want, it’s your money but I’ve been on this hobby long enough to know that most of what he sinks in he won’t get back.

Anyway it’s just a discussion and I can agree to disagree
Nice little sideswipe about common sense. Arrogant prick.

I see this frequently....A guy buys an old Mopar and says that he intends to swap in some aftermarket front suspension kit in it.
These guys rarely seem to have thought it through. They often think that if it is NEW, it must be better. Their old car is all over the road, the tires squeal when turning and since it needs to be rebuilt, why spend the money on restoring old technology?
Here is why:
When the car is rebuilt to mostly stock specs and aligned to modern standards, the ride and handling are amazing. Mopars had better geometry and durability than most other American cars of the same era. The Mopar torsion bar suspension is designed for these unibody cars to keep the weight low and toward the rear. Coil over kits move weight forward and up. Their manufacturers brag about weight savings but the comparison isn't apples to apples. They weigh a power steering equipped stock setup to a manual rack and pinion coil over setup. Of course their kit weighs less. Try comparing your stuff to a manual steering car and the weights are not that different. The coil over kits do have better exhaust clearance but so what? TTI and Doug's make headers to fit any chassis anyway. The coil over kits are not as durable. The suspension travel is less than stock. The turning radius is often wider than a stock torsion bar car. The coil over kits often cost upwards of $4,000. A stock rebuild can cost half of that and provide a great ride, durability and handling while saving a bunch of money.
If they were better, I'd be happy to endorse their use. I'm not married to everything that Mopar did. I support aftermarket brakes and transmissions in the classics because they do provide actual improvements over stock stuff.
I run larger torsion bars in my cars along with big sway bars and good shocks. I also went with the improved Borgeson steering box in my red car. The car drives and rides quite well.

View attachment 1343165
Great advice. Plus you've got my dream car. Id love to have a Charger. But the 4dr Coronet is a nice consolation prize for me and my current budget.

Great advice. Plus you've got my dream car. Id love to have a Charger. But the 4dr Coronet is a nice consolation prize for me and my current budget.
You can make your car ride and handle like mine on a modest budget. From the driver's seat looking forward, It will look and feel like a Muscle Car.
A great recipe:
Stock replacement lower control arm bushings.
Moog K 7103 offset upper control arm bushings.
Urethane strut rod bushings.
PST 1.03 torsion bars. Helwig 1 1/8" front sway bar. HD leaf springs, 3/4" rear sway bar. Bilstein shocks.
You can have decent handling with a 15" tire but it will not be as responsive as it would be with 40-45 series rubber.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
Regarding investment versus value:
It is true that the money spent to fix up a 4 door will not be fully realized if/when the car is sold. That same money spent on a 2 door model does have a better chance of a return when selling. That isn't always true but generally has been the case.
It sucks to let money deter you from having fun with the car. Why not enjoy it and worry about resale value when that day comes...IF it ever does.
It is good to be informed though.

Last edited:
Calm down Nancy, no need to cry
No need to be snarky felicia, btw, my cars don't have foose wheels, put on your bifocals gramma. Go dry your eyes, and blow your nose. Things will be better in the morning.

Last edited:

Since I'll only be doing cruise nights and the occasional short distance road trip, I'll see what I can get out of the 318. That'll free money up to spend on suspension, interior upgrades, and wrap.

View attachment 1343262

View attachment 1343263
Man you got a nice car there. Don't underestimate the 69 318's as they were rated at 9.2 : 1 compression ( probably closer to 9:1 reality )
but add a 4bbl / intake, moderate cam and dual exhaust and it will have plenty of power for relatively little $'s

No need to be snarky felicia, btw, my cars don't have foose wheels, put on your bifocals gramma. Go dry your eyes, and blow your nose. Things will be better in the morning.
I don’t know. It’s pretty clear you’re the grandma here since youre still crying and whining

View attachment 1343262

View attachment 1343263
That looks really nice, what would you want to wrap?

Stop it.
You two are good contributors to this forum. Please don't bait the staff into taking action.
Besides....I'm supposed to be the one that critiques poor grammar here....

1 laugh 4.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice, what would you want to wrap?
It's a 10ft paint job from 2 owners ago. Wrapping will be cheaper than painting. If I want to change it at any time I can without it costing too much. But i do like the color so it'll still be close.

We have run several 318s with bolt on performance parts. First we installed headers and a 4 barrel both huge improvements. We ran several cams. Stock cam actually did ok, I liked the bigger cams...just don't get carried away.

There are some real nice torque convertor upgrades available, which is probably some of the best money you can spend. Get a tight custom convertor. I always liked 3.23 over 2.7xs in ours. 904s are excellent, rebuild it with a shift kit. My favorite transmission ever was a 904 that came out of a low mileage 69 coronet 440.

If you are up for a challenge....we took all the above upgades and turbocharged the 318. You would never know we had a small block under the hood back then. We usually ran 12lbs boost on av gas. It made a obseen amount of torque.
It's been about 25+ years ago. Didn't have all the turbo stuff available like is available now. Best part of boost is great street manners and great power.
We had a lot of fun with 318s...but everything but our 340 duster is big block powered now.

Auto Transport Service
Back