• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap ideas

Leave the paint. Don't wrap it. I already looks killer.
To others here - if he leaves the 318, won't 360 heads bolt right up?

But why not just the whole damn 360?

From an objective point of view, only put what you want into to the car for YOUR liking. Nobody, either back in the day or now, wants a four-door car. You can tweak a 318 to be a pretty good street car, did a few 'o mine back in the day.

From an objective point of view, only put what you want into to the car for YOUR liking. Nobody, either back in the day or now, wants a four-door car. You can tweak a 318 to be a pretty good street car, did a few 'o mine back in the day.
Rock Solid advice !

Wow. I want to thank you all for your input. I'm not a secret millionaire or a 16 year old newbie. I chose 69 because it was the year I was born. I refuse to pay the inflated prices on a Charger. I should have gotten one a few years ago before they blew up. I looked at other Mopars from 69 but as one person said, you always see them. Then I came across the 4 door Coronet. It's got the look without the price tag.

Since I'll only be doing cruise nights and the occasional short distance road trip, I'll see what I can get out of the 318. That'll free money up to spend on suspension, interior upgrades, and wrap.

Oh, here's a couple of pics.

View attachment 1343262

View attachment 1343263
Wrap ? Why ? Car looks good just the way it sits. I'd tweak that reliable 318 with conventional methods and enjoy the car for yourself.

Wrap ? Why ? Car looks good just the way it sits. I'd tweak that reliable 318 with conventional methods and enjoy the car for yourself.
The color itself is nice. The paint job itself is not the best. So instead of painting it, I can save a few thousand and wrap it. Use the savings elsewhere.

I searched but couldn't find a thread where this is discussed. Sorry if I missed it.

I just bought a 1969 Coronet 440 4 dr with a 318. Im thinking of going a few different ways and would like some input on what you guys think. I won't be doing any racing (strip or track). I want to have a nice reliable weekend cruiser with decent power. I already plan on updating the whole suspension and going with a coil over kit. That opens the door for dropping anything I want in. Here are my thoughts.

Rebuild my current 318. It'll be inexpensive. And from what I've heard, can get close to 400hp. But it's more of a high revving engine.

Get a 360. Also inexpensive. More hp and low end torque.

5.7 or 6.1. Both bolt to the 727. More than enough power. Further electronic upgrades possible (i.e. abs).

If you can give me your thoughts, or other suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Blue Print engines in Kearney, NE has a nice 360 combo that would be perfect for you

Blue Print engines in Kearney, NE has a nice 360 combo that would be perfect for you
Whew!! I think they're a bit more than what I was looking for. After reading everyone's suggestions, I think the 318 with a little massaging will be just fine for cruise runs.

I searched but couldn't find a thread where this is discussed. Sorry if I missed it.

I just bought a 1969 Coronet 440 4 dr with a 318. Im thinking of going a few different ways and would like some input on what you guys think. I won't be doing any racing (strip or track). I want to have a nice reliable weekend cruiser with decent power. I already plan on updating the whole suspension and going with a coil over kit. That opens the door for dropping anything I want in. Here are my thoughts.

Rebuild my current 318. It'll be inexpensive. And from what I've heard, can get close to 400hp. But it's more of a high revving engine.

Get a 360. Also inexpensive. More hp and low end torque.

5.7 or 6.1. Both bolt to the 727. More than enough power. Further electronic upgrades possible (i.e. abs).

If you can give me your thoughts, or other suggestions I'd appreciate it.
360 with edelbrock 1406 carb set up. Good mileage, great performance, reliable forever. Low rev motor, especially if you can find a truck motor with a truck cam and valve train. good luck.

You'd need to put allot of money into a 318 to get 400hp. A stock 440 doesn't even produce 400hp.
Coil overs are a bad idea imo. Tortion bars are far more a comfortable ride than coil overs.
You engine needs all depends on your budget. You start getting into big dollars when you want to increase power.
If you have a good budget ($10k++) with allot of elbow grease you could go from your small block to a rebuilt big block and now you are going to be closer to 400hp with everything needed to support that increase in hp.

Imo, stay with the stock 318 or upgrade to a 360. A stock 318 produces 230hp, a 360 produces 255hp. If you can get a 340 then its 275hp. If you stay with the small blocks you can use your stock k-member.

I started with a 318 in my Cordoba. I upgraded to a stock 360. Underwhelmed with that I added a 4 barrel Holley, intake and dual exhaust. Its better but I wanted more, so in goes a 440 (stock 375hp). After many upgrades, time and money I'm at 500hp. I guess it all depends on your budget and wants.
K members are the same for big, and small blocks except hemi, and slant 6

Auto Transport Service
Back