• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine/trans/k-frame removal

I was a buddy's 2nd sled and the caliper froze up causing the rotor to get so hot it ignited the oil tank. I repaired it for him.
Mike
Nice. My buddy has one of those as well

Depending on your level of crazy, we have used the "pivot" method in the past when absolutely necessary. I have done this during fabrication where the engine is coming in and out for fitting. Two jack stands on the frame rails in front of the rear tires with large c-clamps in front of them so they don't slip. Then make whatever dolly you can and once in place unbolt the trans crossmember and kmember. Add some ballast to the trunk and then one person can easily tilt the car high enough to slide the engine in or out. I made posts to hold it up. I have done this with just a shell and suspension as well as full cars.
6696.jpg

Has anybody removed the Kmember, Hemi, and trans with a 4 post lift out of the bottom? The entire front suspension is on as well as the front wheels? Any ideas?

I did on mine when taking the 440 out. Looks like I already took the arms off though.
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG

My cart/dolly is made from a old copier shipping pallet (one of the gigantic copier from another age). I use a 2 post lift now, but have lifted many times with engine hoist. I usually put rear tires on blocks (with chocks front and back to prevent roll) of wood and start with front on jack stands. Roll cart under just below the K frame and transmission. Then lower toward cart and finish unbolting. Then lift car.

I have a lift, so it is real easy. I have seen pics of guys lifting the front end of their car up with a cherry picker mounted to the bumper bracket locations. That should work as well, just be extremely careful.

Easy as can be, although I removed the grille because the boom on the hoist was uncomfortably close.

B2406C4F-DFEE-4720-A543-C25D7FE25327.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back