• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support

he doesn't have a dash vin or a title...... that's the problem
Ok, post 37 he said he looked up a vin decoder. I thought he may have had one based on that. That, and I'm trying to get 3 things done on the car at the same time I'm reading posts. :)

Also look for dual exhaust hangers.

R/T and 383 4 barrel cars would have welded brackets on one side and bolted brackets on the other in the same relative position.

2 barrel cars only had the welded ones on one side.

Of course someone could have added them to hang duals, but it may or may not be apparent if this has been done with factory style parts and locations.

It's just something else to look at and another piece of the puzzle.

66-70 were XS29.
You're correct, not all Chargers were the S special price class. Just using mine as an example along with the 29 designation.
Yep no such thing as an XS charger before 68.
And then a few XS and XX after that until 70 they brought in an XH
But the vast majority were the original XP.
And all 66-67 Chargers came with a swaybar.
After that they cheapened Chargers with 6cyls etc, so maybe had a swaybar delete option as well

Yep no such thing as an XS charger before 68.
And then a few XS and XX after that until 70 they brought in an XH
But the vast majority were the original XP.
And all 66-67 Chargers came with a swaybar.
After that they cheapened Chargers with 6cyls etc, so maybe had a swaybar delete option as well
What's interesting is that the Coronet R/T had a WS23 VIN in '67, but the Charger didn't, even when ordered with the same 440 Mag.

What's interesting is that the Coronet R/T had a WS23 VIN in '67, but the Charger didn't, even when ordered with the same 440 Mag.
Because the "Charger" was a true flagship model, there were no sub models or higher ups. The prestige faded in 68

I've always found it interesting that the 67 440 Charger wasn't an R/T.

As mentioned, if you wanted the boy-racer fanfare, you had the coronet rt and the gtx.
The new for 66 Hemi, and Charger, were all about showcasing what the next nascar champ will be.

Vapor return line indicates 440 or 426? A/C eliminates 426.
68Charger2.jpg

Does your VIN start with XS29L8B?
Strictly a guess, but it seems likely. Lack of a sway bar is odd... any tabs on the Lower Control Arms?

68Charger.jpg

Start checking date codes stamped into K-member and body panels to try to narrow down the vintage? Order number is little help since it can span the entire 101 to C31 calendar. A few members on here have a veritble boatload of Broadcasts collected that might help with bracketing in conjunction with this car's date codes? Without a broadcast, back tracing ownership is probably the only way to ever determine with accuracy - we can only surmise and speculate.

Good luck - always enjoy a good mystery!
Mark

Length of the throttle cable may help

Adding more pics doesn't cost anything

If we are anywhere close, you could contact Barry at Hamtramck Historical as there are a few potential sources on file there to check. (couple clinkers, too)

HH contact page link

He's probably a B-bodies member, but I only know his handle on A-bodies, so I can't tag him here.

Don't get your hopes up, tho - you are trying a nearly vertical uphill endeavor!

Leads.jpg

If in fact the vapor return lines are original, in conjunction with the A/C, it can be assumed that it was originally a 440 R/T car.

If in fact the vapor return lines are original, in conjunction with the A/C, it can be assumed that it was originally a 440 R/T car.
And then mix in the missing dash and fender tag...

Yea without those the clues are about the only things to go by.
I don't know much about the vapor separator line application( I thought it was regional) but to me the T bars would seal the deal.
Or could they be optioned on a 383 car..?

I don't know much about the vapor separator line application( I thought it was regional) but to me the T bars would seal the deal.
Or could they be optioned on a 383 car..?
The v-s were for 440/hemi cars. I'm not sure about the R/T style t bars being available on a 383 car, but you never know what odd stuff went out the door.
Edit: according to the dealer sales book the .92 bars were exclusively for the R/T.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back