• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support

Here are more photos as suggested by another member...thank you all for the help...it's really amazing to me the in depth knowledge that some of you have...

IMG20230628162252.jpg

IMG20230628161727.jpg

440 cars had the extra leaf on passenger side, no?
Was eyeballing that, too. Hard to discern from the pic, but here's some info from literature to reference.
68ChargerSuspension.jpg

8-3/4 would have been standard with the auto trans.

If the body you have was an R/T and the metal dash tag and fender tag are no longer with the car they are most likely on another car out there driving around now and no way to put them back on your 68 Charger shell you have
You can try to go back from the person you bought the shell from and the previous owner from there with the hopes they kept the tags but I would not get too excited thinking you will ever be able to find them :(

this ^^^^^^^^^

you really don't have anything to be excited about, sorry

and someone may have dropped the ball........if someone was smart enough to take the fender tag and VIN, they should have taken a chunk of core support and trunk gutter, so maybe they weren't smart enough afterall

and someone may have dropped the ball........if someone was smart enough to take the fender tag and VIN, they should have taken a chunk of core support and trunk gutter, so maybe they weren't smart enough afterall
Being a 68 it's pretty hard to tie the stamped body numbers to the VIN... Gotta have an original broadcast sheet Or some other likely long lost paperwork...

I'll agree using the fender tag on a different car body would be a dead giveaway... Someone who's doing this would want the tag to disappear....

And since there have been fake broadcast sheets for years now how hard would it be to show fake proof and fool 99.85% of the Mopar world...

Sorry, on a 68 proving it's real with a missing fender tag & VIN is tough.. It appears to have all the right stuff, but proving it???

All right I follow you guys now. Guess I jumped the gun on getting excited. Thanks again for all the knowledge and input...

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support​

This cannot be done with any degree of accuracy whatsoever.

Any assumptions made as to the VIN will only ever be a guess.

I'd rather have .092 bars than .090 bars, same with the leaf springs.
So numbers matching show pony you will not have. Cool road going Charger is never a bad thing.

440/727/8.75, A/C Column shift, power drum brakes, folding buddy seat.. Not much doubt it's an R/T but missing the VIN tag so how do you prove it... How do you go about getting a VIN assigned in Illinois? Can you get an assigned VIN without getting the car impounded? I wonder if the VIN tag & Fender Tag sold on Ebay... The car doesn't look bad for being in the Chicago area & I don't see why someone would have separated the numbers from the body...

The dash and tag are probably cruising around or at a carshow right now..

But the rear pic of the car... are there R/T holes in the tailpanel?

The dash and tag are probably cruising around or at a carshow right now..

But the rear pic of the car... are there R/T holes in the tailpanel?
I think so, but it's not a great shot to determine that..

From the few pics you have posted, I would agree it sure looks like a R/T. Not that it really matters, because you can't prove it. How exactly are you going to get a title for the car without the VIN tag? Definitely don't stick a penny in it until that is squared away.

Auto Transport Service
Back