• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Establishing a VIN number from the order number on radiator core support

MOPIEMAN

Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I have a 1968 Dodge Charger that does not have a dash or VIN number stamped anywhere. The only number I can find is on the radiator core support. I believe this is an order number. I heard that there's a way for somebody to reference the order number and establish what the VIN number is. Is this true? The order number is B8X073657. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMG20230628162525.jpg

Hmmmm.....I "thought" those were the last digits of the VIN (at least on a 70). I'm SURE somebody here knows

you would need the build sheet.......all you can get from that number is a 68 charger and where it was built, where ever the "B" indicates

a partial VIN may be on the engine or trans, but no way to prove it came in that particular car

you would need the build sheet.......all you can get from that number is a 68 charger and where it was built, where ever the "B" indicates

a partial VIN may be on the engine or trans, but no way to prove it came in that particular car
Unfortunately there is no engine or trans...just what I believe is a big block k member

IMG20230628162505.jpg

IMG20230628162515.jpg

As stated the numbers stamped on the trunk lip & core support should match the shipping order number which will appear on the fender tag. The B indicates a Hamtramck build. If your original engine and trans were stamped, it would read 8Bxxxxxx, having the last 6 digits match the VIN.

Have you checked your state laws on registeriing a car without a VIN. You haven't said that you have a title, assume no or a bill of sale? I'd find out how to get to the point of being able to register your car before putting money into it. Each state has it own hoops to jump through. Good luck.

My '69 GTX trunk, rad core, engine and VIN are different. I already knew it was not even close to numbers matching. But Damn! Someone 30 years ago put this car together from what I can gather of 2 different GTX and 1 Sport Satellite.

The guy passed away nearly 20 years ago. So trail is cold. And I threw in the towel trying to figure out.

Fender tag, Dash VIN and title match. VIN saying its a RS23.

You may be in simular situation Mopieman. It is what it is! And of course enjoy your build and ride.

Last edited:
It’s 55 years old now. That core support could have been swapped from another car.

If that is a big block k member then how does a small block k member look different? They don’t, they are both the same in 1968.

The number on the core support on 68 and older is a shipping order number, it does not tell you what kind of car it is either. The only way to match the shipping order number with the VIN number is with a broadcast sheet or IBM card.

chargers always have a sway bar. The only other 1968 b-body to always have a sway bar is a road runner, GTX and Coronet RT. Optional on all others.

The number on the core support on 68 and older is a shipping order number, it does not tell you what kind of car it is either. The only way to match the shipping order number with the VIN number is with a broadcast sheet or IBM card.

chargers always have a sway bar. The only other 1968 b-body to always have a sway bar is a road runner, GTX and Coronet RT. Optional on all others.

the X on the core support stamping indicates Charger, no?

This one doesn't....

How do you know this car does not have a front sway bar ?
The holes to mount the sway bar to the edge of K frame are there
You can not see the lower control arms in these pictures where the other end mounts
The bar could have been removed just like the rad is missing but assume it had one at one time

How do you know this car does not have a front sway bar ?
The holes to mount the sway bar to the edge of K frame are there
You can not see the lower control arms in these pictures where the other end mounts
The bar could have been removed just like the rad is missing but assume it had one at one time
I know it does not have a sway bar because we can all see that it does not have a sway bar.... At no point did I say it didn't originally have one.... Seeing the lower control arms would give a clue but wouldn't prove anything cause they could have been swapped.....

I can say that the bolt holes where the mounting brackets would bolt to don't show any visible marks indicating something was removed....

But maybe the whole K member was swapped from another car....

Welcome to the jungle mopieman? If you have option? Then do it.

It was always an option for your year. If so? Then do it. It could Always been a dealer option?

Hello. I have a 1968 Dodge Charger that does not have a dash or VIN number stamped anywhere. The only number I can find is on the radiator core support. I believe this is an order number. I heard that there's a way for somebody to reference the order number and establish what the VIN number is. Is this true? The order number is B8X073657. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 1487307
In the same boat.
With no vin to verify, only your bill of
sale (if you have one) will be accepted
by your state police, unless you have
documentation to prove the car was
assembled via different vehicles.
Their interest is to make sure none of
the parts used to construct your
vehicle are stolen parts. They will
assign a new vin# if any identifying
numbers come back a not stolen.
A bonded title may be your only
recourse. I'm in process of getting
an old truck titled. It's a long drawn
process. Going on 3 months now
for my title. They're telling me it could
take as long as 10 months before the
title application is approved.
Contact your car insurance agency
to see if you can obtain a bond for
your car. Stay away from the internet
advertisers for surety bonds.
Check with your DMV as to the
process to apply. Man, I sure wish
you luck, as it's been a long drawn
out headache for me.
Better to get a jump on it now, if
only to discover you've poured heart
and soul into a project that turns
into something you can only admire
in your garage.
The state police will not be
concerned with any engine/trans
you choose to install so any
identifying numbers will not be
scrutinized. They run on body/
chassis numbers as engine and
transmissions are swapped out
on a regular basis.

Last edited:
My '69 GTX core support starts with "X" some space before the production number.

Again. Maybe my car may not be best example?

your core support or at least your upper tie bar is from a charger

Satellite, Belvedere, RR, GTX would have an "R"

Coronet, Super Bee, Coronet R/T would have a "W"

the X, W, or R would be the first letter in the VIN

Auto Transport Service
Back