• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EV2 paint

HP2

Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
My 71 Charger Super Bee is soon ready for paint and I have decided color, it will be Hemi Orange/Tor Red. The problem is that the actual color differs quite a lot between paint manufacturers. At a show I visited last year three Hemi Orange cars was parked aside and one was pinkish, one yellowish and one reddish. The owners were discussing this and they had all ordered their cars EV2...
Has someone out there mixed a paint and compared it to the original? It should be possible to find an unrestored car and find some paint behind a door panel that never have seen sun.

I managed to do this when I repainted my 70 cuda In Violet. The answer was to mix the two DuPont shades to get there. Two portions dark and one light. It came out very very close to the reference car.

Welcome to FBBO! This is a great site for knowledge!

I can't speak to the 3 colors you saw but a true EV2 is a reddish orange. Dodge hemi orange is more of a true orange. It's not the greatest picture and the hemi orange is spray can but you can tell a distinct difference between the hemi and EV color. The door is original paint. I don't know about true color codes but the guy painting my car says dupont has a match on the EV2 but I can't verify that is factory correct.

I will try to get better pictures later when I get home.

2017-03-16 17.26.28.jpg

Last edited:
I can send you a few mL's of ev2 and you can get it matched. My body man matched the paint with original ev2 from a door jamb when I had some rust cut out last year. I kept a tin of it for touch ups. Not an easy color to duplicate especially from a picture.

I can send you a few mL's of ev2 and you can get it matched. My body man matched the paint with original ev2 from a door jamb when I had some rust cut out last year. I kept a tin of it for touch ups. Not an easy color to duplicate especially from a picture.
Don't duplicate it from the picture just order it from a good paint company, they have the formula for it

Guarantee they will all be different shades.

However, if you are not blending the paint then not much to worry about. I like my Plymouth tor red on the 70. Red in low light orange in bright light.

Guarantee they will all be different shades.

However, if you are not blending the paint then not much to worry about. I like my Plymouth tor red on the 70. Red in low light orange in bright light.
Supposedly 69-73 hemi orange (dodge) and tor red (plymouth) are the same color but the hemi orange on the engine is a different orange

Agreed on that, I have seen a million variations on hemi orange engine color.

There's two different stories here. Hemi Orange/Tor Red EV2 is car paint but engine paint is engine paint with different codes. I think there was two different: Race Hemi Orange and later Hemi Orange.

I also have an EV2 70 RR. But my paint looks more Rallye red than Tor red. A guy was telling me about PPB paint matching the paint the best. Any thoughts?

The difficult task in getting the paint to match to the original finish is the metal flake size and amount for these metallic colors. The current size of metal flake is larger and really impacts the characteristics of the color. You will really need several spray outs to determine which one that your most comfortable with.

Call me crazy but base/clear EV2 always looks "off" to me. Probably because guys just spray it out of the can and don't bother to play with it, or different primer colors/application technique for each car. Were all factory parts shot with red oxide like the NOS stock? Personally I'd spray it in acrylic enamel and wet sand, but that's me.

There's two different stories here. Hemi Orange/Tor Red EV2 is car paint but engine paint is engine paint with different codes. I think there was two different: Race Hemi Orange and later Hemi Orange.

Some experts even claim that the Street Hemi Orange engine paint formula changed somewhere between '66 and '71. EV2 has metallic and the engine paint doesn't, EV2 without the metallic looks good on an engine IMO.

I'm doing a v2 69 Bee
and I have looked at many cars the same color
and the color is all over the place.
I do know what small glimpses of original paint left on the car
has more orange then red in it
just a little more then the floor in the pic above.

The difficult task in getting the paint to match to the original finish is the metal flake size and amount for these metallic colors. The current size of metal flake is larger and really impacts the characteristics of the color. You will really need several spray outs to determine which one that your most comfortable with.
Thanks. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to do V2 Tor red.

If you're seeing variations from car to car are you looking at actual cars or pictures ? PPG was the original supplier not Dupont. Also primer color will make a HUGE difference in the result of the color shade. If you do EV2 over grey primer and then EV2 over red-oxide primer the results will be extremely different.

it's also a color that changes dramatically with different lighting conditions.

Auto Transport Service
Back