• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excessive Fan Noise due to fan speed

Hey RJ. How about YOU leave the engineering out of this. The issue here is excessive noise.

EC527343-E4A7-4D73-A34E-264FBF7F4AB9.jpeg

Does the fan turn freely on the clutch or is it tight? On mine, the fan turns easily. It won't "spin", but it will easily turn about 1/2 a revolution if I flip a blade and I don't notice fan noise when it's running.
Oh, this one is tight. You can’t “throw” the fan and see it spin at all. It stops the moment your hand leaves it.
Dwayne has another one at home he is going to send my way. We are over 2 hours apart so it wouldn’t pay to go get it. Let the USPS do it.

Until you take the car out on the road the fan noise doesn't mean much... My Green car has a lot of noise from the fan cold... But once it gets up to temp it quiets down to barely noticeable... And when the temp gets excessive the clutch locks back up & it gets loud again, but there's a reason for it & it brings the temperature down so I'm okay with it.... In theory it shouldn't drive the fan when cold but it does....

yep, I have stock pulleys, but they're now OEM junkyard for an A/C car since my car was originally non-A/C and is now getting a Vintage Air A/C setup installed.
As well as the change in pulley diameter (to increase fan speed) the factory A/C cars also had a water pump with less flow to compensate for the faster spin speed.

Checking some reviews I found on Summit and Amazon, only a couple reported about fan noise. One said after he ran it around for a while it quieted down some. Another mentioned adjustment. I gather these come in various ratings – heavier, lighter duty. You might check the reviews; many reported being happy with the setup. You could contact Hayden and see if they can be of any assist..
Noise is subjective and is measured in dB or Sound is measured in decibels (dB). "It quieted down some means nothing".....how many dB .....it is determined by the listener as to its level of acceptance....some people are more/less sensitive than others.....
"A whisper is about 30 dB, normal conversation is about 60 dB, and a motorcycle engine running is about 95 dB. Noise above 70 dB over a prolonged period of time may start to damage your hearing. Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears".
BOB RENTON

I’m sure that the OP/Dwayne and I both appreciate the input.
I just started my Jigsaw Charger, it has the same setup as this Plymouth. Yeah, it is quieter even though it has headers, 2 1/2” exhaust and rumbles nicely.
My 2007 Dodge truck has a Flowmaster but the fan is louder at 2500 and up. You can’t hear it from inside or even with the windows down while driving.
Then there is this beater….

8555E3B8-F27E-4D97-A2E0-7BB5B158105B.jpeg

Look at this.

B4DF017C-11A0-498D-BE82-07D970F09288.jpeg

Talk about field fresh!
I get a three finger gap between the blades and shroud.

A9E67A7A-90F7-4148-89AD-9CCCB1CFBD63.jpeg

I don’t hear the fan at all but then… it spins almost a half turn when I “throw” the fan and let go.
This one hasn’t overheated but it doesn’t have A/C. It is a reringed 360 with maybe 8 to 1 compression and a mild cam.

Hey RJ. How about YOU leave the engineering out of this. The issue here is excessive noise.

View attachment 1632022

Oh, this one is tight. You can’t “throw” the fan and see it spin at all. It stops the moment your hand leaves it.
Dwayne has another one at home he is going to send my way. We are over 2 hours apart so it wouldn’t pay to go get it. Let the USPS do it.
If it was not for engineering, we would still be using square wheels on our ox carts or never have developed the air plane or Lunar Lander or atomic bomb or even BRAIN DEAD BIDEN's EV program ......out of curiosity, where/how do you think think the "noise" is developed in the first place?......maybe it's which csme first principle: the chicken or the egg??
BOB RENTON

Do we need more proof that SOME engineers have no sense of humor ?

Mickey Thompson, in his biography, said that he had no use for engineers. While they plodded along and figured out every scenario, he had already tried five or six different experiments and found what he needed, and moved on to a different problem. :)
1710987582662.jpeg

As I've noted here before... about a week after I was to work on the Canadarm, at Spar Aerospace in 1982 as a Junior Engineer with 4 years of post secondary ed / graduated with honours, I tossed my pinky ring and went to work elsewhere..... as I just couldn't do ****! The verbatim grows tiresome...

For the last twenty five years I've worked closely with a number of engineers... Most were useless, One was great... Most fall into the category of "Couldn't fix a peanut butter & jelly sandwich" But they sure can talk a line of superiority BS... Funny, twenty five years later I'm still employed when I want work... Can't say the same about most of the engineers... Only one we had that we would want back passed away twelve years ago...

Mickey Thompson, in his biography, said that he had no use for engineers. While they plodded along and figured out every scenario, he had already tried five or six different experiments and found what he needed, and moved on to a different problem. :)
View attachment 1632164
ALTHOUGH...the opposite perspective is worth considering as when comparing Edison and Tesla. We all know that Tesla was brilliant (an educated Electrical Engineer) and he tried many experiments, but with careful planning and often times with amazing lasting results (remote control, radio, A/C current, etc). Edison was the opposite. He tried everything he could think of until he found something that worked, many times with little planning. Lots of times this resulted in Edison's work taking much longer than it should have. Tesla was quoted as saying about Edison (who was also his former boss) - "His [Thomas Edison] method was inefficient in the extreme, for an immense ground had to be covered to get anything at all unless blind chance intervened and, at first, I was almost a sorry witness of his doings, knowing that just a little theory and calculation would have saved him 90 per cent of the labor."

So it goes both ways. It depends on the engineer.

Well after 41 years and 11 months as an Electro Mechanical Engineer, I think that I know which side that I popped out on! Praying I don't come off as an **** asshole around here......

So I read up online and hundreds of others with all makes and models of cars (new, late model) are having excessive fan noise problems after fan clutch changes. Not all, but many. Most mechanics are saying that sometimes the fan clutch spring was coiled too tight when made at the factory. So they swapped in a 2nd new fan clutch and the issue was solved. Luck of the draw though. I have a 2nd new in box shortie Hayden clutch that we'll try.

Well after 41 years and 11 months as an Electro Mechanical Engineer, I think that I know which side that I popped out on! Praying I don't come off as an **** asshole around here......
I think I speak for most of us here.. We value your input & you've got nothing to worry about... I don't perceive the all to common engineers arrogance...

Auto Transport Service
Back