• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifold flange gasket to head pipe

lebshiff21

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Changing out my log manifolds for HP manifolds on a 383. The head pipes to my exhaust are flared. The log manifolds have what looks to be an insert in them to mate up with the head pipe and the HP manifolds are flat. What do I need to get the HP manifolds to do the same? My googling skills are failing me.

F699D01A-F681-4D49-977C-C813CE681361.jpeg
3A21FB48-4C51-4E61-BC37-0E993BA341CA.jpeg
D8A950B6-C212-4CFE-BB76-DE55F2830E72.jpeg

Different head pipes or remove the end of the pipes and weld on flat flanges.
Mike

Casting numbers determine head pipes sir. HP manifold have a different angle so getting the old pipes to fit is not going to work.

TTI exhaust makes head pipes to match HP manifolds, you need to have the casting numbers for the correct pipes.

Mark

Its either that or a trip to your local exhaust shop

That's where I'm headed, thought there might be a tapered insert or something I was missing. Looks like that's what I have in the log manifolds that came out. Thanks all.

Changing out my log manifolds for HP manifolds on a 383. The head pipes to my exhaust are flared. The log manifolds have what looks to be an insert in them to mate up with the head pipe and the HP manifolds are flat. What do I need to get the HP manifolds to do the same? My googling skills are failing me.

View attachment 1152014 View attachment 1152015 View attachment 1152016
Unless your running on a track for big$$$ it's a waste of time and money to change exhaust manifolds.

Unless your running on a track for big$$$ it's a waste of time and money to change exhaust manifolds.

There is a major difference in a log style manifold and a factory hp one. Well worth the upgrade and change in my opinion

ECS has exact factory correct 383 HP head pipes. I know because they used mine OE's to make their jig !

The outlet diameter is MUCH larger on HP manifolds requiring different manifold to pipe gaskets and head pipe / flanges

Auto Transport Service
Back