• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Tube Setup- Choke 426 Hemi

I believe all Hemi cars received a variable speed wiper for clearance. I can’t see his clear enough in the picture to compare to mine. They usually have a white to off-white 1/2 round plate. His is pretty dark but may just be a weathered original.

Mine came with a 3 speed
DSCN3421.JPG

Are you talking the choke heat tubes or the exh heat riser valve. I dont see anyway the exh should get to the crankcase if either were clogged ? Ron
The two large heat tubes on the back of the manifold one painted and one natural circulate exhaust gases in a chamber on the bottom of the intake manifold I assume for warm up. If the bottom of the chamber rots out the gasses go into the lifter valley.

I should have referenced I was speaking of 66/67 cars. Yes, I have a friend with a 69 Hemi RR and it has a 3-speed. But, I could be wrong on 66/67.

The two large heat tubes on the back of the manifold one painted and one natural circulate exhaust gases in a chamber on the bottom of the intake manifold I assume for warm up. If the bottom of the chamber rots out the gasses go into the lifter valley.

Ok you are talking about the heat riser tubes that when the heat riser valve is closed will run exh gasses up under the intake through a passage in the intake and out the other side exh. Course on the Hemi the crossover tubes send the exh back out the same side exh as most engines send the exh out the other side exh. It helps driveability during eng warm up. Now I have not seen many Hemi's in my 24 years at a Dodge dealer but I have never seen the intake rot out in the exh crossover area. But we used to get them all the time clogged up with carbon and then the exh heat wont get in there which keeps the choke coil on the well type chokes from getting enough heat to open the choke up. Now thats on the choke coils that are mounted in the intake well as that style choke coil also uses that exh heat. The choke coils in the black caps on the carbs do not need that heat as they have there own seperate choke heat tubes. So with the black cap choke coils the exh crossover heat is just to help the eng run better during eng warm up as it helps the fuel from pudddling on a cold intake and helps the fuel atomize better so it runs better when warming up. Unless the Hemi had a problem of the intake rotting out from the crossover getting carbon glogged but I have not ever heard of the intake rotting out from that. But I also have never worked on many Hemi's. Ron

That's interesting point on the heat tubes. I also removed my battery tray before we put the engine back in and I had my new starter on the engine. Prior to this, I had restored my engine bay by removing everything, removing all the grease and grime of 50 years, primed and painted it. Then I rewired, installed new brake booster, master, all the small components, restored the wiper motor. Hopefully, I will get it back on the road by the end of the year, thanks to All Forum members help.

View attachment 1191555 View attachment 1191556 View attachment 1191557 View attachment 1191558 View attachment 1191559 View attachment 1191560 View attachment 1191561 View attachment 1191562 View attachment 1191563
Yy
That's interesting point on the heat tubes. I also removed my battery tray before we put the engine back in and I had my new starter on the engine. Prior to this, I had restored my engine bay by removing everything, removing all the grease and grime of 50 years, primed and painted it. Then I rewired, installed new brake booster, master, all the small components, restored the wiper motor. Hopefully, I will get it back on the road by the end of the year, thanks to All Forum members help.

View attachment 1191555 View attachment 1191556 View attachment 1191557 View attachment 1191558 View attachment 1191559 View attachment 1191560 View attachment 1191561 View attachment 1191562 View attachment 1191563
Y

Great work on your engine bay! One small thing: the small removable ports on the side of the shock towers are supposed to be black, not body acolor.

Yy

Y

Great work on your engine bay! One small thing: the small removable ports on the side of the shock towers are supposed to be black, not body acolor.
I have removed and re-painted those black, just haven't posted any photos yet. Thanks.

I thought all Hemi cars came with a 3-speed wiper motor, but your car has a 2-speed one, so what gives? Can you install the air cleaner?
The 3 speed wiper for 1968 and older cars is different from the 69 and up motors. The wiper motor on this 66 car is correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back