• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust

tracy

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
What's everyone doing for exhaust ? Are you ordering exhaust kits online or just taking to exhaust shop ? What kit if so ?

That depends on how competent any local shops are and what your budget is.

TTi makes complete kits.Pypes also. Summit and Jegs have generic kits as well.

I prefer to make my own connection from the headers to the mufflers. The last three I have done the tailpipes with the Flowmaster mandrel bent ones.

I see alot of kits like from summit, pypes do include head pipes

Local shop here really did a great job in my car. 2.5, H-pipe, and priced right. Very pleased.

i have a good friend who owns a exhaust shop he’s doing mine also he does great work

TTI, or a local shop that does some Nice work, MufflerMan...

Local shop here really did a great job in my car. 2.5, H-pipe, and priced right. Very pleased.
So, 2.5” and not 3”. I’ve heard 3” isn’t necessary until… and I don’t remember the rest. I’ll be running 512 cu in and am told that’ll be over 600 hp so am also wondering about exhaust options.

System I have is TTI including headers. Initially had flow master 50’s. They sounded nice; but too loud for me despite all the sound deadening. I asked members what they recommend and several said the hemi mufflers through Accurate so got those. Pricy, but worth it MO. Still a lot of sound, but when cruising I can hear the stereo and not have to raise the voice much chatting in the car.

One error was getting talked into 3” – WAY too much for my ride. The hemi mufflers are 2.5” so had some reduction there. Having done some reading, subject to debate, I’ve read that motors benefitting from a 3” system would be around 500HP.

TTI with Flowmaster Delta 50’s

Ron H said his car was too loud with the exact same system, hopefully I won’t feel the same way…

IMG_4540.jpeg

So, 2.5” and not 3”. I’ve heard 3” isn’t necessary until… and I don’t remember the rest. I’ll be running 512 cu in and am told that’ll be over 600 hp so am also wondering about exhaust options.
have dual 3 1/2'' with H pipe on my 505 , behind tti headers...
according to summits past exhaust article , 3'' is too small for a 500 '' engine .

Headers, 3" duals and generic Flowmasters here. Too big, too hot and a bit too loud...
but I inherited the damn stainless system with the car a dozen years ago and it refuses
to rot out, so I put up with it. :)

I would ask what is my intentions for the car street, street-strip or strip? Street id say dual 2.5 should be plenty. S-S maybe 3, strip open headers.

I would ask what is my intentions for the car street, street-strip or strip? Street id say dual 2.5 should be plenty. S-S maybe 3, strip open headers.
I built an approx. 600 h.p. hot 406 sbc , w/ headers , 92 gmc pick up , took it down and had 3'' dual ex made and installed ,dumped out behind the rear wheel like a camero , I could feel the diff when I started it up and backed it out of their shop .
Drove it straight home and reinstalled my dumped/turn downs , felt like it had 50 more h.p.
For a hot 700h.p. , 500'' engine ,I wouldnt consider under 3 1/2''...

For a 512, I would use at least a 3" system. My secret to a quiet high performance exhaust is simple. Get the proper size pipe for the engine, pick out the type of muffler sound you like (triple pass, straight thru, or Flowmaster style) and then get the biggest, longest, muffler that will fit under the car.

I found some formulas that calculate the flow. While they don't agree exactly, it seems that around 500HP-520HP is the limit for dual 2.5" I'd rather have more ability than needed, so have decided to go 3" all the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back