• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Expert paint help needed.

truetriplex

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
I have my car at paint and need some help/advice. I want to have the car painted using Glasurit top of the line paint. The paint shop uses PPG (Global) and had already put the PPG primer on the car. In speaking with Glasurit, the say that they will not guaranty their paint UNLESS we strip off the PPG and red the car in Glasurit primer. From the paint experts out there, is it OK to put the Glasurit over the PPG? What could/will happen if I do? I have used Glasurit on two previous cars and was EXTREMELY happy with everything on the paint and I do like Glasurit (and Sikkens and BASF) over PPG, DuPont, and other paints out there and don’t want to change.

If I'm the one putting it on I like PPG (at least some of the lines). If someone else is putting it on it matters far less. I don't need to spray it. In fact, you're probably best off using what the shop likes to use. Would you prefer a Mopar guy repair your Mopar or a Chevy guy? Sort of equivalent in many ways but experience counts. If you must have Glasurit then re-prime it. If you just need a really nice paint job of high quality paint, let them use PPG.

go for it.....you wont have a problem......ppg is quality stuff, and you would have no issues using ppg paint either, if you still have concerns.........Glasurit stuff is pricey as balls, but it is the cat's ***!

didn't you inform the shop what topcoat you were putting n from the get-go?
Anyway, have them bake the PPG primer and then they can DA the primer with
600 and put Glasurit over it. Glasurit is the top of the line material. Oh, and what
kind of guarantee are they talking about anyway??? Too many variables to guarantee
anything going on there! Does the material need to be applied by a certified
Glasurit shop??? You are using great material. You'll be fine. If the shop made the
mistake, make them swallow the primer bill.

Didn't they use PPG paint to paint our cars at the factory?
Dunno if Glasurit paint over PPG primer works but i guess i personally would not take a risk, meaning:

A: Apply PPG paint over the PPG primer
B: Reprimer the car with Glasurit primer and then apply the glasurit paint.

If im right and the original factory paint was ppg i would stick to that probably.
Edit: Within reason that i absolutely LOVE the paint on my 69 charger. Its the original paint and it looks great.
(Its not perfect due to wear and tear but you can tell its quality paint. Modern paint often does not look that good)

Last edited:
If you chose the shop based on their past performance. Let them do what they do. Nothing worse than a customer that wants to change midstream when they had every opportunity in which to place all the variables on the table. Not saying they'll give you less than their best but these situations seem to take some really strange twists where neither party is happy in the end.

I've used Glasruit, PPG, DuPont, Sherwin Williams, ect. I broke in using Dupont (Xalta) and have always been comfortable with their systems.
I remember the first time back in the early 90's I was asked to use PPG BC/CC. No problem, I did, and it turned out great.
My first thought back then. Why would anyone use a product that had sooo many different thinners, catalyst and required you to be a jr chemist???? It was simply different.

I may be missing something .... but is there no sealer going on after the primer ?
Many shops will paint base coat direct on top to primer but most times that is to cut costs. Or is done on many single stage jobs.
Your painter will do as he wishes but for my money I would seal it, ppg 3055 or a dp, epoxy 90 or 50 depending on the base color.

The sealer goes on JUST prior the the Base Coat. Right after it "Flashes".

many shops use one brand "exclusively" for a few reasons. 1) they have the full selection of colours, primers, catalysts, etc. on hand. 2) they've mixed it so often they know exactly what product to use for the temperature and humidity they're spraying in 3) all the products work together 4) they're comfortable and confident using that product. There are probably more reasons but you get the drift. These days I think products that fit particular categories are very similar in the outcome if done by competent shops. And when you see high end cars flaunting a particular product, there's a good chance that product was supplied at no charge. Have a look at the cars competing for the Ridler Award ... you'll see a number of different brand products but they are all drop dead gorgeous. This has more to do with what's beneath the paint and who shot it and did the final cut and buff than the product itself. Personally, on a street car I don't want anything that's too perfect !!

couple things...... many guys, myself included......like the epoxy primer by southern polyurethanes........sands easy, fair price, and can be coated with any base coat (or single stage for that matter). Point being southern poly does not make basecoat, so it gets coated with all brands.

all other epoxies I have used are similar, I would have no issue using any quality base over any quality epoxy

furthermore.......most epoxy primers can be reduced and used as a sealer just prior to paint (as mentioned above). I have used Glasurit on a regular basis back in the day (but it just got too damn expensive); I'm sure their epoxy can be used as a sealer also (its been a while)....... epoxy primers I have used, including Glasurit, can be applied over multiple surfaces (subtrates), even old paint as long as it is "sound". The ppg epoxy already on the car would qualify as a (very) "sound subtrate". Therefore, if you are really concerned, a layer of glasurit epoxy (reduced for use as a sealer) can be applied over the sanded ppg epoxy and you are good to go. Glasurit may also produce a "sealer only" that can also be used. Applying Glasurit base coat over Glasurit sealer solves the warranty issue as long as the Glasurit sealer (or epoxy sealer) is used in the manner suggested by Glasurit

one more thing lol....... I have a hood coated with Glasurit epoxy primer behind my shop........I think I primed it over bare steel in 1989, it has been outside ever since.......its a little faded, but not a lick of failure, I was just admiring it the other day

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back