• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eye Glasses

it's a well known fact that glass or plastic blocks ultraviolet light.

"Glass that is transparent to visible light absorbs nearly all UVB. This is the wavelength range that can cause a sunburn, so it's true you can't get a sunburn through glass.

However, UVA is much closer to the visible spectrum than UV-B. About 75% of UVA passes through ordinary glass. UVA leads to skin damage and genetic mutations that can lead to cancer. Glass does not protect you from skin damage from the Sun."

So any UV protectant they're charging for would be to counteract the UVA.
And with prescription sun glasses you pay for the actual tint - which is not cast into the lense but applied as a coating.

Last edited:
"Glass that is transparent to visible light absorbs nearly all UVB. This is the wavelength range that can cause a sunburn, so it's true you can't get a sunburn through glass.

However, UVA is much closer to the visible spectrum than UV-B. About 75% of UVA passes through ordinary glass. UVA leads to skin damage and genetic mutations that can lead to cancer. Glass does not protect you from skin damage from the Sun."

So any UV protectant they're charging for would be to counteract the UVA.
And with prescription sun glasses you pay for the actual tint - which is not cast into the lense but applied as a coating.
Interesting, didn't know there was an "A" and a "B".

I had to buy prescription eye glasses and sunglasses about 4 years ago and was shocked at the cost. Insurance covered some but not a lot. Most of the coverage goes to the exam itself.

I'm in need of a new pair and went to the same eye doctor and he wrote me another script.

Has anyone bought prescription glasses on the internet? I have been told it is very economical.

Thanks.

The cost of glasses is minimal considering all that you get for your investment. $400.00 for a pair of glasses that gives you clarity and vision to perform daily activities and work is nothing compared to your monthly cell phone bill, internet/cable bill. Online eyeglass sellers do not have to follow the same guide lines your local optician has to follow. Simply taking a measurement and making you a set of glasses is only the beginning to seeing properly. Every day I see glasses that are purchased online and the quality of the product is not even close to those made in your opticians office on the premises. Prism, imperfection in lenses, optical centers that are not even close to any standards set by your state and the american board of optician. Think twice before buying anything online that has to do with your vision.

I've been wearing prescription eyeglasses since first grade until my cataract surgery 2 years ago. At $400-$600.00, prescription eye glasses are a pure ripoff. There's no way that there is more than a hundred bucks of material there.

At $400 to $600 your glasses are far from a rip off. The technolagy that goes into the lenses and coatings is amazing. All the manufacturers out there are excited about making you see the best. The technology used for online lenses is barbaric coating are so out dated, Frame materials that are used for online sales from companies like Warby Parker and others are the same that you will find when you buy a pair of over the counter readers.

It's because Luxottica owns 80 percent of the Eyeglass and Sunglass market in the world. They own brands that you wouldn't think including Pearle Vision, Target Optical, Sears Optical, Lenscrafters and a whole lot more. They set the Market Price because of a monopoly.

Actually Luxottica owns about 30% of the market. Don't believe all the fake news you see. Luxottica prides itself on quality in frames and lenses. The retail brands listed above are all great places to purchase your eye ware with a guarantee of the best product from frame to leading lens technology with standards second to only some local optical shops.

Here's a question that I've always wanted to know the answer to.

Being a welder most of my life, it's a well known fact that glass or plastic blocks ultraviolet light. Welding arc emits very high concentrations of UV rays that will burn your skin and create blisters on your eye. (sand in your eye sensation).

So the question is, why do they say they will coat your lenses with a UV protectant and charge you for it? I've asked every optometrist that I've been to this guestion without an answer. They don't know. You pay extra for this every time you buy a new pair of glasses. You pay more for a quality pair of sunglasses because they have UV protectant.

I think it's a gimmick.

The amount of instant UV light that you are exposed to during welding is to much to be blocked by clear lenses treated with UV protection. The UV protection that is found in lenses will block 99% of UVA and B. You must wear your welding mask to prevent damage to your retina. Don't play Russian roulette with your vision. Remember you only get one set of eyes protect them.

The amount of instant UV light that you are exposed to during welding is to much to be blocked by clear lenses treated with UV protection. The UV protection that is found in lenses will block 99% of UVA and B. You must wear your welding mask to prevent damage to your retina. Don't play Russian roulette with your vision. Remember you only get one set of eyes protect them.
I've experienced no side effects from over 40 years of welding. I also wear prescription glasses under the helmet so that's kind of double protection. I've been burned through my clothing once or twice from the UV rays. Heavy cotton and especially leather is good protection.

I've had it happen and also with coworkers, when you turn your head while tacking, thinking you're avoiding the "light", the rays can reflect off of the inside of your glasses, even safety glasses and still get you right in the eye. I learned the hard way and have always passed the info on to others not to do this.

Being a Multi Board Certified and State Licensed Optician for the past 31 years I have seen most of what you are all talking about. Remember all frames and lenses are not created equal.

I've worked for only two companies for the past 31 years. A local mom and pop optical shop that showed me how to grind lenses and craft glasses in my first years as an apprentice. After 14 years they decided to sell us to Lenscrafters, I have been an employee of luxottica for the past 17 years. Luxottica has it's faults but one thing that they do very well is train there associates. We pride ourselves in delivering a high quality product for a fair price. If you have any additional questions please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
luvplace.gif
you never know who you're going to meet!

The lense coating add up and there are many.

They do, The best coatings to get are No Glare/Anti Reflective coating and polarized sun lenses. One the safest lenses to use as a base to all the coating available is Polycarbonate. It's impact resistance and holds up very well with the proper coatings added to it.

I've been wearing glasses daily for about 40 years now. I've pretty much worn them all. My leneses now outprice my frames, graduated bifocals. It's just something that I accept. I've tried to find less expensive options but it always ends up being about the same. And because I wear them all day every day I buy what I like, price be damnned (well almost).

Currently wearing Masunaga frames. Very sturdy, going on two years with the same pair. Will probably get another on my next purchase.

I got a pair of Polycarbonate lenses at Pearl Vision about 15 years ago and they were the best. I severely abused them and they wouldn't scratch. Of course my prescription changes a couple of years later and I haven't had any lenses that would hold up since. These lenses today will scratch just to look at them. I've had their coatings start peeling off for no reason, scratches, the pair that I have now smear and film up during the day. The quality isn't there anymore. I only clean my lenses with warm soapy water too. I would love to find a pair like I had from PV again.

I do everything I can to protect my eyes. As was said earlier you only get one pair and they're fragile at that. I buy the best glasses I can get and don't fret the money too much. The lenses are loaded with all the coatings and I get the polycarbonate material. Hell youre wearing these things on your face every day you may as well get the best you can afford. No they're not cheap - but neither are your eyes....

Last set of complete lense and frame was in the $1700 range and that was 17 years ago. The titanium frames have held up well over the years, but have finally had it. The lenses have always been best quality.
Things wear out but when one sees better with out than with its time for new.

I wear glasses, I can't see with them, can't see without them, that's weird!

Thats why I have given up wearing mine. If you can not read the instrument cluster with but can without time to quite wearing them.

And then we could always start a thread on hearing aid prices; thank god I don't use them, yet!

Internet ordering: My wife did that because she wanted a lot of pairs in case the ones she was using got sat on or lost. She needed to measure her pupil distances and figured that if they didn't work she would know and toss them. Well, they worked fine and she now gets her glasses for low cost. I am sure there are differences, but if it works, it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back