• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eye Glasses

And then we could always start a thread on hearing aid prices; thank god I don't use them, yet!

That's another topic/ thread I'm interested in.----Anyone out there hear that?:)

I get my eye exams and glasses at my local WalMart. My experience with them has been great quality and service. Beware online vendors.

I'll correct my wording to Own, Control or have contracts connecting them to 80 percent. I didn't hear that from fake news. there is an eyeglasses company nationally known up here which started in an office half mile from my house. I went to school with the owner who started it and know a couple of the current executive through the car world. My info came from them. Their company was sold 2 years ago to another major well known company. Smaller manufacturers are finding it very difficult to compete. I've had glasses for 42.5 of my 44 years. Always tried to buy local. I'm lucky because the Canadian Armed Forces pays for them now. I just pay for the anti scratch and anti glare coatings.

Last edited:
That's another topic/ thread I'm interested in.----Anyone out there hear that?:)
As long as its on my left side. Freight trains do not even get my attention from the right. Its been that way for 59 years.
The local heating center will do free hearing test and fit me with an aid on a 30 trial. Cost after the 30 days is just plan scarry.

Could you win a staring contest?

A3J8jop.gif
Nope.

As long as its on my left side. Freight trains do not even get my attention from the right. Its been that way for 59 years.
The local heating center will do free hearing test and fit me with an aid on a 30 trial. Cost after the 30 days is just plan scarry.
The VA gives me my eyeglasses and hearing aids and dentist visits free.

****, they charged me $57 last fall for a pair, the bastards! Let alone they put them in one of those jiffy bags for shipping and they were all bent up when they arrived. That just piss's me off!

And I look in the paper with ads for $800 off for hearing aids. Jeez if you give that much off what do they cost? Plus batteries every couple days.

Isn't technology great? I'm typing the above post on my phone & an ad comes up for eyeglasses..

I have been wearing progressive lenses now for about 20 years. I have found that I can not wear polycarbonite lenses. When poly first came out, 15 or 20 years ago, I had a pair of prescription safety glasses made out of poly. Hard to explain it, but it was like everything was sparkling, and in 3D. Weird, very bad. The optometrist remade my safety glasses in plastic or glass, I dont know which, and no problems. Every pair of glasses I have had since have not been made from polycarbonite. More recently this HD type of lens came out that is not poly. They work great giving a nice wide field of view in the progressive lens. Much technology has happened in the recent years.

A couple of years ago my current employer sent us in for safety glasses. The only lenses the company covered was poly lenses. So I decided to try them and see if things have changed. Nope, just as bad as ever. Couldnt wear those poly safety glasses for more than a few minutes. Actually last week I ordered another pair of safety glasses and specified no poly. They are being made with plastic and still progressive lenses. They said the lens is still a safety lens, just not as strong as poly. We'll see?

Paul just want till you need a 'triple(?)' with a little less than bi-focal in your upper so you can see a computer screen from 2-5ft & still focus on something at 6-8ft without bending your head way back.

A friend of mine received hearing aids from the VA. They didn't last about a year before he needed an upgrade. They refused a second set. The last time I saw him he couldn't hardly hear a thing I said to him. Can't talk to him on the phone anymore so we text. Hope things have changed with the VA.

KK the VA doesn't mean crap, hearing aids ARE the crap!

Paul just want till you need a 'triple(?)' with a little less than bi-focal in your upper so you can see a computer screen from 2-5ft & still focus on something at 6-8ft without bending your head way back.

I didnt know they made such a thing? I need new lenses in my current glasses and will inquire about triples. My current pair cost me about $550 last year. My cost after insurance.

Hmm. that sucks. He needs to start his complaint at the top of the food chain and let it trickle down. Write or call his State Senators office and give him, her an earful. I guess my experience is a little different because of a few things. 1. This is Vermont, a small rural state with a VA that is plenty big enough, and then some, to handle everyone in need. 2. I'm at 100% rating with the VA, and 50% with DOD, so everything is handled quickly for me. My hearing aids are digital and paired Bluetooth. Very small and fully adjustable both up and down volume. My wife looked them up in the civilian world and said that I did not want to know what they cost. I try to take good care of my glasses and hearing aids so that I don't take time or gear from another veteran. 3. I also receive CRSC, combat related special compensation. It doesn't make me any better or more special than the next vet but it does seem to grab the attention of VA employees anyway. I cant help that.

Paul the safety ones I have a little less power at top for " not close,not far" I keep them for hanging curtain rods, car work , I hate having to tilt my head way back for halfways close work. Especially on a car! KK these hearing aids are a joke to me, my 90-yr old aunt can't hear a phone unless it's got an amplifier on it(with hearing aids), so obviously a cell phone is never going to work. Always going back to get them tweaked,etc.,etc.

Ghost that's what I was talking about on hearing aids. Ur wife is a 'good one'.

Auto Transport Service
Back