• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Trunk Mounted Battery?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
I just bought my dream car: a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner. :hello2: It has a 383, 4 speed, air grabber, A36 option (8 3/4 with 3.55 sure grip, heavy duty cooling, hemi leaf springs), limelight paint, tick tock tach, and the light package (I believe).

The car is completely unrestored and in pretty good shape, but needs restoration. The problem I have is that it is missing the fender tag, and no broadcast sheet has been found. The only way I can determine what options it had is by documenting the car through pictures of what it currently has.

I realize that some owner added modifications most certainly have been done to this car. One item it has are provisions for a trunk mounted battery. The cables exist as well as a battery tray bolted to the right hand side of the trunk floor. It looks pretty old, so it has certainly been there a long time.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Were trunk mounted batteries an option (It doesn't look like it)? If not, were trunk kits available from dealers?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Trunk mounted batteries only came in a few cars...I know that the A990 cars had these...I,m sure your car did not...My car had the same..It was used as a drag car in the late 70,s and early 90.s...Check out this guy for a kit to properly mount the battery in the trunk..www.madelectrical.com
Petty Blue 67 gTx

Trunk mounted batteries only came in a few cars...I know that the A990 cars had these...I,m sure your car did not...My car had the same..It was used as a drag car in the late 70,s and early 90.s...Check out this guy for a kit to properly mount the battery in the trunk..www.madelectrical.com
Petty Blue 67 gTx

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I figured it was not a factory option, but was not sure if it was a dealer/Mopar parts counter item. My general idea at this point is to restore it to what is now termed "Day Two". This means I will put headers on the car, and yes, I will probably use the old trunk mounted battery since it has been in the car so long.
The car currently has C body exhaust manifolds, indicating that a previous owner most likely put headers on the car that he removed when he sold it later on.

Hawk

There was a trunk mount battery kit available from DC back in the 70's and 80's and most likely it was based on old factory parts so naturally it would look factory. I say no way it's factory from 1970.

Auto Transport Service
Back