• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 w/mini starter

XX88MAN

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys. Looking at a 68 Charger that seems to have a couple of issues. First the starter only works when boosted but that’s likely battery or loose connection. The big problem is when the starter does run, it doesn’t turn the engine at all. 440 and 727. The owner put a new starter on the car from a 90s Dakota. It doesn’t seem to engage the ring gear. Do these need a spacer or what could I be missing? Also the solenoid is not mounted solid due to a stripped out screw will that cause starting issues?

That starter should work fine, no shims needed. Maybe it is no good or the ring gear damaged?

I would remove the starter and install a known good one BUT I would put a bar on the lower crank bolt, spin by hand just to verify no issues to surprise you..

Sometimes you have to make some modifications to the mounting holes on mini starters to get them to fit and engage correctly.

I had to elongate the holes. I had to lay under it and see how the gears engaged and adjust accordingly. Mine wouldn't disengage so I had to move it away from the flywheel just enough.

Auto Transport Service
Back