• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Failed Smog !

From what he said apparently all the smog shops are under surveillance, in order to get your state permit it was forced on you... He's a pretty straight up guy so I don't think he got legitimately busted doing bad smogs, but as I explained later the stuff the state has busted people for anything is possible...
Personally, I do not believe to the degree California's smog regulations and subsequently, required testing are far more stringent than they need to be. The "do gooders, have the populus best interest" in their decisions....politically speaking....but not economical considered. I'm glad I don't live in California.....the cost to support all these regulations is just too high for the benefits received......example: gasoline prices prices.....
BOB RENTON

I have a squeaky clean air filter , the idle mixture screw is the gold flat head right ? How far counter clockwise should I turn it ? Do products like these even really work ?

View attachment 1642454
I don’t know what carburetor you have. Check online for the idle mixture screw. The CRC stuff is supposed to clean catalytic converters and I’m not sure if it works.

No emissions in Texas (counties that require it) once a car hits 25 years old. Not based on the year model.

I remember trying to get my older cars smogged in Ca. Az was similar but now with collector car insurance they are exempt.

The idea is to introduce air into the mixture, a silenced vacuum line will do the job it will have to be run through the firewall into the car like a heater control hose and open, it will be open just enough to pass without making the car run too rough you may have to turn the idle to lower the rpm to just the amount it takes to level out.

You should actually rejet the carb for maximum lean burn, every car I have had has had the proper jetting instead of a fits all type setup.

There is a lot of horsepower to be had by exact jetting if your tailpipe is at all black you are losing tons of power.

Do a minimal 200 mile plug reading through all of the ranges and rejet by that.

If you have older plugs in the car you should be able to pull them and see what your mixture looks like, white to very light brown will mean you are running at the lean end, any darker will mean you have to go a few steps smaller. What type of carb do you have on it?

If it is a Thermoquad you may need to work on the bowl the jet caps on them can be loose and leak raw fuel into the system.

Not all places are really good at Thermoquad rebuilds, they are a different breed with the bowl prep needed.

Auto Transport Service
Back