• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Tom-mat-toe tom-mat-toe...

Holy Crap Prop! you totally stole that car!!! :tongueflap: The guy have any more of 'em??? :rolling: Figures a chebby guy wouldn't know what he's got!!!

I've heard that there is a way to check the diff. between a 383 and a 440 is that the 440 has a flat pad on the drivers side just behind the water pump?? anybody hear of this???

Either way, Congrats Prop! and get to work!!!! :grin:

Thanks MarPar. You are absoulutly right, flat pad on the RB blocks vs. angled sides of a B. Unfortunatly he does not have any more mopars. He really was pretty ignorant about mopars, but still a real stand up guy. He refered to the torsion bars as spring shafts...lol..Totally honest with me about everything though.

Car looked pretty lonely crammed in a shop full of chevelles. Soon as I walked in the door I heard the car say "get me the hell out of here!", so obviously I had to buy it then. :grin:

Got a couple grand worth of sheetmetal from AMD today, so this weekend should be pretty productive. Heading down to the big car show/swap meet in Jefferson tomorrow, hopefully to find a decent trunklid---way too much mud/rot in the old one...

Thanks again for all the kind comments guys.

Thanks MarPar. You are absoulutly right, flat pad on the RB blocks vs. angled sides of a B. Unfortunatly he does not have any more mopars. He really was pretty ignorant about mopars, but still a real stand up guy. He refered to the torsion bars as spring shafts...lol..Totally honest with me about everything though.

Car looked pretty lonely crammed in a shop full of chevelles. Soon as I walked in the door I heard the car say "get me the hell out of here!", so obviously I had to buy it then. :grin:

Got a couple grand worth of sheetmetal from AMD today, so this weekend should be pretty productive. Heading down to the big car show/swap meet in Jefferson tomorrow, hopefully to find a decent trunklid---way too much mud/rot in the old one...

Thanks again for all the kind comments guys.

Obviously... Anybody in their right mind would have to save her... :grin:

Chevelles, huh? that's about the only non-MoPar i'd even consider. Well, aside from a mid-sixties Ferrari GTO or Ferrari SWB 275!

But I digress...spring shafts!!!! :rolling::rolling:

Anyway good luck on your build and hunt...keep us all posted!!!

Well Guys,

After spending hours wading through the muck at the swap meet for a day and coming home with a Roadrunner horn and windshield clips (better than nothing i guess), It was time to get to work today.

Kicked off the day with pulling off the brakes, the parking brake cables, the shocks, the shackles, the leaf springs, then the entire rear end. Pulled off the mudded up trunk lid, tail lights, and then the tail light housings.

Next it was time blance out the car from front to back and left to right so i can properly make measurements from the bottom of the car to the ground. I used a digital laser level in the jams for the front to back and across the hump for side to side.

rr3.jpg

I had to use rubber shims between the jack stand and the car in several places to tweak the balance to 0.0 degrees.

rr4.jpg

Next it was time to weld up a support jig for the rear end seeing I am replacing most of the metal from the jams back. This is by no means a primary support for the rear of the car, but gives added support for when the integrity of the trunk pan/extension, and frame rails are removed. I used 1"
10 Ga. C/S square tubing. I went with the main supports arms coming down from the gussets so I would have Vertical and Horizontal structual support for the down legs, and would not have to worry about the main horizontal beam taking a bow. I attached the support legs to a piece of 16 ga. steel then used a punch in sporatic areas to spot weld it to the top of the quarters. I also cranked up my AMPS a bit to burn in a few stringer welds. Plus a little added bonus, when i am finshed with the rear of the car and no longer need the jig, it will double as a nice sturdy stand to hang panels/parts for primer work, and it only cost me $31 bucks for the material.

rr1.jpg

rr2.jpg

rr2a.jpg

After pulling out the rear seat, I was pretty happy of the floor underneath. another area that is not too bad is the rear rails. The one in the pic is the better of the two, but both need the shackle rails replaced, so it is all coming out and getting replaced

rr5.jpg

rr6.jpg

As you can see below, my rear crossmember and filler panel have seen their better days. The left tail light bucket is dead as well. They are about to go into retirement.

rr7.jpg

rr8.jpg

rr9.jpg

As far a measurement and documentation, obviously that is the key factor in having a job turn out. I took an 6 foot laser level to the garage floor to insure it was level (which it was by +/- .0032), and began using a plumb bob at every reference point possible. I measured at the centers to get my accurate readings and marked them on the floor with a magic marker. I also ended up with a few pages of rough draft drawings for reference as well, which i will put into AutoCAD to help pin point any areas out of wack or areas needing more measurments/review.

rr10.jpg

rr11.jpg

So, busy day at the home front, but goes to show how much a guy can get done when the old lady's gone, have a couple ice cold brews, and good tunes are playing on the Juke Box. I'll have pretty much all of my fresh sheetmetal in tomorrow from AMD, so as soon as I can get a bit of time, the battle will continue...Have a good one fella's

Nice work Prop, your not wasting any time. Are you pushing to have it finished by the Nationals in a few months.
I utilized my builders laser quite a bit for the "JUNKYARD DOG", reference marks and measurements galore!.

Thanks Matt,
I'm thinking the Nationals would probably turn into a pipe dream. As far as completion, that is directly porportional to Congress (the wife) releasing funds for the bird and how long I can get away with hiding out in the garage. Going to hit her hard through the warm months. I've decided to change out the upper cowl. The one on there is in pretty good shape besides a bit of mud I found near the center so i will probably be picking your brain on that soon enough if you dont mind

Take care.........Prop

Finally got some more time to work on the bird today. Started off by sicking the ingersoll die grinder with a 1.5'' wire brush on all the spot welds in the trunk.

After a tediuos adventure of drilling out 60-70 spot welds and with the help of a Milwaukee saws-all, the rusty old trunk is history.

rrst3.jpg

I again double verified the car was still sitting level and the original metal was box/square

rrst1.jpg

After the trunk was out, I noticed the passenger side inner wheelhouse was not as stable as thought. Instead of a hand fabed patch, I have a inner wheelhouse I'll section out to fix this area properly.

rrst2.jpg

I still plan on hand fabricating a patch for the inner on the driver side. Obviously the custom outer wheelhouses on both sides will be removed/replaced.

rrst4.jpg

The shackle mounts are not too bad but are pretty degraded on both sides at the mount up to the rear crossmember and willl be replaced along with the rear frame rails

rrst5.jpg

So, with a level car, all my measurements, drawings, photo's, and other references in place, the frame rails, shackle mounts, and trunk braces will be on the way out the door as soon as I get a few more parts in early next week.

Have a good one

Not too bad Matt. The driver side has about an dime size hole, but the passenger side is good. I got a smokin deal on a full set of AMD quarters off craigslist, so both sides will be new anyway. Spent a couple hours today fabing up and welding in a patch for the drivers side inner wheel house. I'll toss up some pic's later....3:25AM, probably should hit the sack..:mornincoffee:

The rate your going at it i should be able to see it at Iola in july?Feature this year is the Sensational 60s.:grin:

Throwing on a few picks of the patch installed on the drivers side inner wheelhouse. I used what I could as far as a template from the old chunk I cut out. I also had to partially template with what was left of the passenger side for the notch that dips down a couple inches before joining up with the outer wheelhouse.

re1.jpg

re2.jpg

re3.jpg

re4.jpg

After a couple hundred very small tack welds, finally the weld across was complete and ready to be ground down.

re5.jpg

re6.jpg

While messing around with the inner wheelhouse I noticed a couple small holes at the corner of the driver side torque box/rear dutchman support. After grinding down on them they obviously got a bunch larger. I ended up fabricating a couple small patches, tacking and welding them in and gringing them together as a single patch.

re7.jpg

re8.jpg

re9.jpg

re10.jpg

Iola...........I wish. I'm sure i'll be there Wannadrag, but I don't think i'll be driving a 69' roadrunner there. Hopefully my rear frame rail sections come in tomorrow along with the shackle mounts. that should give me plenty to do moving into next week.

Take care all-prop

Auto Transport Service
Back