• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Thanks fella's........Obviously i'm no metal wizard, but just giving it my best shot to make her look good again.

What do you have for a welder?.

Matt, running a Miller Millermatic 140 MIG welder....Pretty easy unit with good weld qualities. The only thing I don't like is the generic auto setting feature. Tried it a couple times and it doesn't work very well at all. Also, Miller put a metal thickness template along with your amp settings on the dial. One thing I found out is that there Guage settings are a bit cool for the thickness stated, but I always practice before throwing arc on anything and just dial in my Amps and wire speed manually. What unit you running Matt?

Stuart.. It sure is a lot easier for alignment in a major rebuild when a guy fixes the old with a patch or two. Plus, after recieving some more parts from the renound AMD, I'm finding out that old mother mopar had much better metal/stamps. And there is the whole cost savings as well.

AMD has it's place and is saving alot of cars , but think alot of people get chop/cut happy when they could save alot more original metal . I know that you cant save every cars and every part of a car . Its just refreshing seeing you save more then most do .

Last edited:
Same machine you have 140 w/easy set. I have found the same thing with the whole easy set vs> manual and I too prefer the manual settings.:grin::yes:
What gauge wire are you using?, I was using .024 for a while, thinking that would be better for the sheet metal we are working with, until a buddy told me he uses .030, so I switched and what do you know, it's better!!:tongueflap:

Really? Wow... i'm running the .024 hobart..never used .030 out on sheet metal. Is it easier to create a more broad puddle or a bit easier to dial in the amp setting (not such a fine line)? Right now I got the Amps set to #4 on the dial with a 40 wire speed....
Pretty easy to remember 4-40 setting for some odd reason :edgy:

Really? Wow... i'm running the .024 hobart..never used .030 out on sheet metal. Is it easier to create a more broad puddle or a bit easier to dial in the amp setting (not such a fine line)? Right now I got the Amps set to #4 on the dial with a 40 wire speed....
Pretty easy to remember 4-40 setting for some odd reason :edgy:

I'm noticing flatter welds and better penetration(I just said penetration on the internet:grin:), could be I'm getting better, but I did notice a difference and it became easier with the .030 wire. I don't remember what my machine is set at right now:mornincoffee:, I'll check it and post a little later. Your using 75/25 gas mix?.

I've been checking up on this thread incognito for the past week, and i gotta say...Damn Prop, you gots skills!! and you're a glutton for punishment!! :rolling: great work man, keep it up you'll be tire fryin' before you know it!!! Ahhh, nuttin' like the smell of goodyears in the mornin'!! :car flipper:

I've been checking up on this thread incognito for the past week, and i gotta say...Damn Prop, you gots skills!! and you're a glutton for punishment!! :rolling: great work man, keep it up you'll be tire fryin' before you know it!!! Ahhh, nuttin' like the smell of goodyears in the mornin'!! :car flipper:

Holy Smokes!!! The Black Sheep returns!! How was your week in the gallows there hero? :black_eye: Way to Go....LOL! Thanks for the momentary pic before being hauled off by the berries and cherries..Glad to have ya back

Glutton for punishment.....probably. I appreciate the compliment, but by no means would I consider my work to be skills, maybe more like a monkey aimlessly waltzing around on a pogo stick :grin: Gonna try to keep this momentum going as long as I can. Hopefully we're not visiting this thread in 5 years, reading about my weekend long project of changing out the sunvisors.

Anyway, good to have ya back "Black Sheep" :ban:

Matt: Running the 75/25 80# as well. I'm gonna be starting the frame rail removal/installation tonight hopefully, so I'm changing out to .030 wire anyway. Gonna give it a whirl on the passenger side wheelhouse. Huhhha...huh...huh, you said penetration :beavisnbutthead:

We got parts!!! Had my trunk show up today from Sonic motors over in Holly, MI. Awesome shape and they did one heck of a packing job. The basement is starting to pile up as well......

Got some work done on "skeletor" today. Ripped out the trunk brace, shock mount brace and the rear frame rails w/shackle mounts. I was really suprised how goobered the welds were on the bottom of the shock mount brace. looked like a weld made of smeared peanut butter. I had to cut next to the welded areas to remove and will have to re-fab the ends when I install.

tr1.jpg

tr2.jpg

tr3.jpg

tr4.jpg

tr5.jpg

tr6.jpg

I think that is the norm for the welds on the shock mount crossmember, every one that I have seen has been installed the same way.
How did you find that trunk lid, it looks really nice. It is always shocking to see such clean body parts from the mid west. Must be one of those outfits that make a few runs down south or west several times a year buying up cars and parts.
Great shot of the basement, the only thing missing is the xmas tree!!.
I all of the sudden feel the need to put a hat on and get a cup of coffee.

X2

That's a lot of work. I only wish I had that kind of skill.

I think it's more of just being willing to work and able to use a tape measure 72 Charger.
Obviously being able to weld is pretty much a must as well. It's actually looks a lot more intimidating than it really is. I think most guys that carry a bit of fabrication experience, have the ambition, and are apt for willing to learn, can do it. I know one thing that makes me more comfortable when I'm sawing or drilling something out or installing/welding something in, is this site and all the great folks with a wealth of knowledge to help me out if need be.

Great shot of the basement, the only thing missing is the xmas tree!!.
I all of the sudden feel the need to put a hat on and get a cup of coffee.

That's right Matt, everyday is Christamas here on Christmas island! Grab the coffee :lotsocoffee:, time to get to work!!
Found the trunk online by using a craigslist search engine which searches all areas in a mileage radius that you put in. "Search tempest"

Thanks Prop, ya the black sheep is finally back

back to my usu. tricks! LOL :suning:

I think it's more of just being willing to work and able to use a tape measure 72 Charger.
Obviously being able to weld is pretty much a must as well. It's actually looks a lot more intimidating than it really is. I think most guys that carry a bit of fabrication experience, have the ambition, and are apt for willing to learn, can do it. I know one thing that makes me more comfortable when I'm sawing or drilling something out or installing/welding something in, is this site and all the great folks with a wealth of knowledge to help me out if need be.

I'm looking to get a welder this fall and finally learn how to weld. But it will be a while before I feel comfortable touching my Mopars with the welder. Maybe I'll have to get an old Ford (like my first car) to work on, so it won't matter if I mess it up.

I'm glad that you and others on here are willing to take the time to put your photos and step-by-step restoration tips on the forum. I'm already learning a lot without even having to tear a car down. Hopefully that will translate into less mistakes when I do.

Auto Transport Service
Back