• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Shrouds For All?

71_bronze_gtx

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can positively confirm that a 71 or 72 GTX or RR with a 440 4-BBL and a 22" radiator would have a shroud. My 71 GTX didn't when I bought it in 2012. Listings for shrouds at YearOne and Classic Industries seem to be saying not all 22" radiators had shrouds - possibly engine CID related.

I'm not so much concerned about correctness as that my fan fits in the shroud opening.

If your only concern is fit, what is the diameter of the fan you have ?

22" radiator and no shroud? It doesn't sound like a Texas car lol. Does the car have any options like AC, PS etc? I know ChryCo built some strange cars but I would think a 440 car would at least have the heavy duty cooling package. Is it running cool like it is?

If your only concern is fit, what is the diameter of the fan you have ?
It's 18". Seven blade, 46237 stamped beneath the Pentastar logo. Also a large 58 stamp. This blade is mounted to a solid hub.

My past research indicates this engine would have been build with thermal clutch drive.

I'm wondering if a small block would position the center of the fan in the same place as a 440. As in maybe a 318 Satellite with A/C might have a 22" radiator with shroud, but a 440 GTX without A/C didn't.

440 GTX or RR were built standard with 22" radiator unless you had A/C or ordered HD cooling or trailer towing. Possibly other options got 26"-ers also.

The car has run cool, BUT, the previous owner had put in low compression pistons. I'm rebuilding it with 10:1 compression so it will be trying to run a little warmer. Besides that, I want a shroud just for the safety aspect.

Don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Is the engine & radiator in the car now ?

Was able to find the answer using my Factory Service Manual and Parts Catalog.

A 440-4 GTX automatic was built with a high capacity fan (18") with direct drive, and had a radiator shroud, P/N 2998328. The ones Y1 and CI are selling both appear to fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back