• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAN SPACING

Red63440

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
What’s the optimum spacing for a fan to radiator? When I got my 64 it came with an aluminum radiator but due to how it was installed it’s closer at the top than it is from the bottom. Once that problem is eliminated I can install a spacer to get the fan closer.

What’s the optimum spacing for a fan to radiator? When I got my 64 it came with an aluminum radiator but due to how it was installed it’s closer at the top than it is from the bottom. Once that problem is eliminated I can install a spacer to get the fan closer.
1/2 inch fan to radiator with fan halfway into shroud

1/2" is ok if space is limited as mine is, but 1"+ is preferred n recommended. Farther away makes no difference as long as blades are half in n half out of shroud.
Screenshot_20210621-143439_Chrome.jpg

It’s a Be Cool radiator with no shroud so I’m SOL on that but it did come with an electric fan unit which hasn’t been installed.

It’s a Be Cool radiator with no shroud so I’m SOL on that but it did come with an electric fan unit which hasn’t been installed.
If no shroud, no more than 1" away. If no a/c and no cooling problems in slow/stopped traffic then no problem. Otherwise I'd always recommend getting a shroud.

...I'd always recommend getting a shroud.
Agree.

Shrouds do A LOT to help keep a car cool. Sometimes people blame the radiator for overheating issues when instead the problem is lack of a shroud.
I would highly recommend adding one.

Given a choice would you stick with the mechanical fan or go with the electric fan. No a/c is installed…

Given a choice would you stick with the mechanical fan or go with the electric fan. No a/c is installed…
I prefer mechanical. Simpler, less things to go wrong. Yes, mechanical take away a little hp, but unless you're doing dyno shootouts or competitive drag racing, it's a non issue.

Either can work fine, it just depends on them being properly setup.

The purpose of a shroud, regardless if it is for an electric or mechanical fan, is to cover the radiator so when the fan turns it draws air through the entire area of the radiator. Without a shroud, the fan won't be able to do this, regardless if it is electric or mechanical.

I have seen an electric fan that covers less than 50% of the surface area of the radiator. And it didn't have a shroud either, so it was not very effective. If you have a large one or a dual setup that covers the overall radiator surface and helps draw air through all of it then that is good.

So, my recommendation depends on what you have handy. Use what will give the best airflow and that has a shroud (or you can get one).

Good Luck

1/2" is ok if space is limited as mine is, but 1"+ is preferred n recommended. Farther away makes no difference as long as blades are half in n half out of shroud. View attachment 1130487

Just something to consider.....OMIT the flat washer as shown. Using a lock washer in conjunction with a flat washer as shown, the bolt will not be prevented from turning, because the bolt is not locked to the fan assembly, but is locked to the washer which is locked to nothing. Just use the lock washer by itself....the tangs of washer will dig into the bolt hex and blade assembly. For my installation, I use Loctite Orange on the fan blade to fan clutch assembly and to the clutch to water pump drive sheave/hub connection. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Was a Millwright for 46 years and always omit the flat washer in that type of use when I see it. I’m guessing I will need at least a one inch spacer, maybe an inch and a half which should give me the one inch I will need.

Last edited:
Either can work fine, it just depends on them being properly setup. What is the best way to find a shroud to fit a radiator. I have two fans one push one pull on mine but would like to add a shroud

The purpose of a shroud, regardless if it is for an electric or mechanical fan, is to cover the radiator so when the fan turns it draws air through the entire area of the radiator. Without a shroud, the fan won't be able to do this, regardless if it is electric or mechanical.

I have seen an electric fan that covers less than 50% of the surface area of the radiator. And it didn't have a shroud either, so it was not very effective. If you have a large one or a dual setup that covers the overall radiator surface and helps draw air through all of it then that is good.

So, my recommendation depends on what you have handy. Use what will give the best airflow and that has a shroud (or you can get one).

Good Luck

I use a plastic mechanical fan (i know, dangerous, eats horsepower, etc. It keeps my 500hp cool) with a shroud, hi efficiency core in 26"tanks, and an electric installed in front to cool between rounds at the drags. Some say the pusher is a restriction, but i see the blades turn with it off, if the engine is running. Doesnt seem like a restriction to me.
I could probably save some power with a clutch fan, but what i have works for me.

We used them when I was a kid and after I saw a few of them blow up I quit using them. Guys used to cover the edges with fingernail polish to keep them from flaking.

"The purpose of a shroud, regardless if it is for an electric or mechanical fan, is to cover the radiator so when the fan turns it draws air through the entire area of the radiator. Without a shroud, the fan won't be able to do this, regardless if it is electric or mechanical."

Guess I could build one in my wood shop!:lol:

Glad I came across this, I have an aluminum ebay 26" radiator in my 71 Charger (bone stock bb), 7 blade clutch 1.5" from it and was slowly overheating. Installed a shroud I bought off ebay, same as Mancini's at $50 cheaper n free ship. Issue is gone. This tells me I should lose the clutch, space it up closer, run it direct and it can be better

Glad I came across this, I have an aluminum ebay 26" radiator in my 71 Charger (bone stock bb), 7 blade clutch 1.5" from it and was slowly overheating. Installed a shroud I bought off ebay, same as Mancini's at $50 cheaper n free ship. Issue is gone. This tells me I should lose the clutch, space it up closer, run it direct and it can be better
If the issue is gone, leave the fan clutch on. It takes less power from the engine and a lot of fans cannot withstand 4-6k rpm. Also the high rpm of direct drive fan is harder on the w/p shaft bearing.

If the issue is gone, leave the fan clutch on. It takes less power from the engine and a lot of fans cannot withstand 4-6k rpm. Also the high rpm of direct drive fan is harder on the w/p shaft bearing.
Decided to leave it

Auto Transport Service
Back