• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Too Close ???

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Trying to make up my mind on this distance. Worked out at 3/4" at the bottom, 1-1/2" at the top. Leave it or shorten the fan extension?

20170523_210924.jpg

20170523_141246.jpg

Shroud or no shroud???
I'm trying "no shroud" first. (useing E free fuel) I've been looking for one though. Trying to find one that fits without much modifying or I'll just fab my own if the temps run too high. I should have stocked up on all the ones that were being sold for $25 a few years ago. Now the prices on the OE ones are ridiculous!

Ya Ive been seeing them for sale here and there and going for crazy money....
I like electrics myself...dont really know why though....one thing Ive learned which i guess is true with anything, is you get what you pay for with them.
Back to your install though, I would think the closer the better if your not going to run a shroud, as you need ( especially at idle or slow speeds) the negative pressure side of the fan pulling through the radiator and not from around it. Using a shroud allows the distance to be increased because there is no other place for the air to come through except the radiator.

Engine Masters test about different fans:

Personally my steel fan destroyed plastic shroud-s upper side after installing new engine pads.

The guys at HAMB had a thread about this a while back and I remember the radiator shop fellas saying something about "if you aren't leaving flesh on the radiator fins when installing the fan, you're not close enough". :)
The consensus seemed to be no closer than 3/4" without shroud (enough room to get the fan belt over it when it throws one out in BFE). With shroud, the fan should be positioned 1/3 outside and 2/3 inside the shroud.
Finally, I had a flex fan shatter and take out a radiator many, many moons ago in my daily driver in the early 80's. It was brand name, too, not a cheapy.
I've shied away from them ever since.

The guys at HAMB had a thread about this a while back and I remember the radiator shop fellas saying something about "if you aren't leaving flesh on the radiator fins when installing the fan, you're not close enough". :)
The consensus seemed to be no closer than 3/4" without shroud (enough room to get the fan belt over it when it throws one out in BFE). With shroud, the fan should be positioned 1/3 outside and 2/3 inside the shroud.
Finally, I had a flex fan shatter and take out a radiator many, many moons ago in my daily driver in the early 80's. It was brand name, too, not a cheapy.
I've shied away from them ever since.
Anyone ever seen a fan blade stuck in a stock steel hood , when a blade let go ?

Your fan clearance is exactly where I put mine. Works fine. I'm running a stock 7 blade steel fan though. I have seen those flex fans come apart at high RPM. I was able to use an original steel fan shroud after a little adapting to my 22"alumnum radiator and it cools fine. Got a nice glass beeded original shroud off EB for $45.00.
P1010189.JPG
P1010191.JPG

I dropped my 22 off at Glen Ray, and Bob strongly suggested a shroud,and an after market cooler. He also suggested not using the cooler in the radiator, which would be somewhat non effective. I'm also running a higher stall converter, and will be generating a little more heat. Just the fyi info I got.

Thanks people for all the replies.

I'm returning the Flex-a-lite. I was considering the light weight and added cooling that you get with them but really didn't add in the risk of the blades breaking. I remember hearing about that years ago too. With any fan, they need to be inspected periodically. I even remember replacing a couple factory ones back in the day.

Read this thread when you get the chance. It happened with a old blade that should have been replaced years ago but still an eye opener!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...r-be-very-careful-working-on-old-cars.347235/

Now I'm back to doing more research, damn I hate researching sometimes. So time consuming but it has to be done.

I only have 2-1/4" from the pump flange to the outside edge of a fan to work with, so I don't believe a clutch setup will work.

I was looking at this fan, I've bought two used ones so far, from swap meets, and both need work. I like new when possible.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/der-17317

Also it's hard to get good measurements on the available fan shrouds out there but I have some.

I don't want electric fans.

Your fan clearance is exactly where I put mine. Works fine. I'm running a stock 7 blade steel fan though. I have seen those flex fans come apart at high RPM. I was able to use an original steel fan shroud after a little adapting to my 22"alumnum radiator and it cools fine. Got a nice glass beeded original shroud off EB for $45.00. View attachment 427212 View attachment 427213

You got a great deal on your shroud MW. Must have been a few years ago. Have you seen what the two piece ones are going for today? And they are reproducing them also. I like your setup :thumbsup:

Get a stock 7 blade fixed fan and a shroud. That will work perfectly.

Or you can buy a cheap aluminum radiator, cut the brackets off, move them forward and gain 1/2-3/4 inch more clearance and run the Hayden super short heavy duty fan clutch and fan. I did this on my 69' Dart with a 383 as there wasn't much room for the clutch fan....worked great and I have 1/2-5/8 clearance from the clutch to the core.

2947 short hd clutch Hayden, 5718 Flex a lite fan blade, should fit.

Last edited:
I would like to see a picture of a fan sticking threw the hood!

Thanks people for all the replies.

I'm returning the Flex-a-lite. I was considering the light weight and added cooling that you get with them but really didn't add in the risk of the blades breaking. I remember hearing about that years ago too. With any fan, they need to be inspected periodically. I even remember replacing a couple factory ones back in the day.

Read this thread when you get the chance. It happened with a old blade that should have been replaced years ago but still an eye opener!

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...r-be-very-careful-working-on-old-cars.347235/
Good Lord, the stories on that thread!
In my case, it was the Flex-a-lite on a '73 Cutlass I had at the time. Sucker took out the fan belt, then shish-ke-bobbed my radiator while I was going down the road one day. I was lucky in comparison to some of those folks in the stories in that thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back