• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Drummers

Vinnie Caliuta; Omar Hakim; Terry Bozio (spelling may be a bit off) - 3 amazing drummers. Also the drumer for Dave Matthews Carter Buford. And my brother in phoenix AZ - Karl Unger. Could play Moby Dick by Zeppelin when he was 13 perfect. And self taught. Amazing ear = great musician.

Lars is pretty much the laughing stock of rock drummers. Dude can't keep time to save his life.
On the other hand, you have the Master:
neil-peart-drummer-rush-performance-playing-music-large.jpg

Neil Peart - the one every other drummer wishes they were like and I'll add, one of the most intelligent yet humble guys
you'd ever meet. On top of his absolute mastery of the instrument, the guy was a BEAST and had the reputation of being one
of the hardest hitters to have ever played.
He literally wore himself out to the point of physical exhaustion, injury and pain.
Damn shame.

Second, I'd put Mike Portnoy. Like Peart, he can play anything and play it with intensity.
He also is a huge Rush fan and acknowledges Peart as being the best to have ever done it:
Mike-Portnoy.jpg

Also like Neil, the dude is a historian of rock and a big fan, too. Very affable, seems well adjusted and easy to get on with.

I can toss in a lot of others, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread (and I agree with BTW), but as of right
now, these two gentlemen are head and shoulders above the rest in technical prowess, POWER and mastery of the instrument.

Now, how about Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)? Both acknowledged by their peers.
Wild Mick Brown (Dokken)? You can always tell when Mick is playing. Huge power and he's got a natural "swing" to his technique.

Lastly, a personal favorite of mine was the late Nick Menza (Megadeth). His father was a big Latin swing band leader, so he had
a natural rhythm to everything he played and being in that band, Nick had a ridiculously strong groove going on that was only
accelerated and amplified by the music they played.
Powerful, powerful drummer with impeccable technique.
RIP.

I nominate Kirk Arington- Metal Church

You may remember this from the early days of MTV-

All around great musicianship (and writing) from every member.

Too bad they were overshadowed by other acts of the time.
So much so, that even though they were featured in "the other" rejoin to Head Banger's Ball, no studio videos exist for these great songs.

One of my favorite bands from the 80's.

If I had to pick a winner-

Peart

The reason the Bassist that posted earlier digs drummers is that-

It's his job, and the sign of a very good bass player.

If the bass and drums are not tight, it's hard for anything else to get done and the audience can tell.

Plus the bass player gets to keep the peace musically between the drums and the guitar.

Back in '87 our Bassist- Tim Brennaman (cousin of both Cincy Reds game caller Marty Brennaman and current broadcaster Thom Brennaman) was great at that, as was our drummer, Kevin Berry.

Having that working for us made us sound like a much better band than we actually were.

Another vote for John Bonham. I always liked Ginger Baker too from Cream, Ginger Bakers Air Force, etc.

Blink 182 Travis barker song called "always" another favorites from blink 182 is "I miss you"

So much so, that even though they were featured in "the other" rejoin to Head Banger's Ball, no studio videos exist for these great songs.

I remember when the speed metal had come out of the shadows from traditional hard rock/heavy metal in this area.
Metallica,, Slayer,MegaDeath,Helstar and so on blended the punk and heavy metal creating a new genre that skaters and heads really dug. The key component I think was the double bass kick and one of the best I ever heard was Lars. that guy was like the energized bunny, he never stopped
I was never a huge speed meta fan, l and glad Metallica evolved.
I've seen Dokken, Crue,Ozzy,Sabbath,Dio,VH, Metallica, AC/DC Twisted Sister,Iron Maiden ,Rush, Journey and to be perfectly homestead and everyone of their drummers were pretty awsome!

In my late speed metal/early industrial days, my favorite drummer-
tr-505.jpg

Never flaked on showing for practice, either.

These are hard to find and kinda pricey now.

A few years ago I realized they have a somewhat distinctive sound, and you can pick them out in a LOT of 80's and early 90's songs.

At one time I had two of these and can't find either one now.

I've got a couple of tracks where this is played backwards through a Marshall on "11".-
Very "Nine Inch Nails"-y sound

Nigel Olsen....Elton John band. Not as "flashy" as some, but solid. As noted before, I, being a bass player, need a solid drummer

Where's Northwood?

I grew up in Dayton/Mad River.

One of the best drummers around is under the radar and is in the house band on NBC's "The Voice". His name is Nate Morton. Next time you watch " The Voice" tv show listen to him, he's a monster !! He has talent across many different music types styles.

Last edited:
..Plus the bass player gets to keep the peace all the time between the singer and the guitar...

Had to change your quote a little bit because that brought back lots of memories, for me... Oooh the drama between guitar players and singers hahahahaha primadonnas!!:rofl:

Nigel Olsen....Elton John band. Not as "flashy" as some, but solid. As noted before, I, being a bass player, need a solid drummer

Olsen was another solid one, thanks! I was into drummers before I even played an instrument, I think that maybe precipitated my move from guitar to bass in my early days and I never looked back! (Except around the house I play my acoustic guitar much more than the bass, now that I'm a has-been:D)

Auto Transport Service
Back