• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Drummers

Ahh...Sandy Nelson. I think I still have a copy of his album, Let There Be Drums.
And who can forget Gene Krupa.
And then the key developer of electronic drums, Grahame Edge. He has a distinctive style.

Ginger Baker .. and Springsteen's Max Weinberg. Different styles for sure, but great at what they do.

CreamAndGB.jpg

Last edited:
I like Ginger Baker too. And his recent jazzy stuff, like 'why?'. I'd hate to have been the guy doing this interview though! https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-rolling-stones-are-not-good-musicians-86521/
View attachment 676884

lol, it's like a typical conversation with my 75 year old father.
I never used to like the stones much but I've been listening to their music more and more the last few years. I like Charlie's drumming and I think he is a good time keeper for them.

Playboy used to rate drummers back in the day and for some reason Ringo used to be up there. McCartney said he never knew how long a song would last with Ringo, whether it was 3:04 or 3:10. I was always a big Beatles fan but Ringo was ok at best.

Not only was Neil Peart a top notch technical drummer, he also had the uncanny knack of being able to change up a drum line to play it different every single time. More than just a drummer tho, he was a percussionist that added so many different sounds and insturments to a song, always just where it needed to be. Oh, and did I mention that he also wrote most of the songs and lyrics for the band?

I’ve always been drawn to a 3 piece band, especially ones that can replicate their songs onstage. It shows that the song is t just overdub after overdub. Bands like ZZ Top stayed within their groove, even when a 2nd guitar track was added in the studio, it was still a song that could be played more than just successfully onstage.

If I may, my favorite musician of Al time is Rik Emmet, his guitar playing is off the charts, and nobody can cover the vocal range of his singing, although my 2nd favorite singer, Steve Marriott is very close, and had more soul!

Last edited:
Favorite drummer (guitarists and vocalists too) polls show up on Facebook all the time. I think most that make these lists are based on popular (top selling artists) where they transfer the popularity of the band to individual musicians. The drummer of the most popular band is assumed to be one of the best drummers. That is the best explanation for why mediocre drummers show up on polls for "best of" lists.

I have also noted that age has a lot to do with how people respond to polls. If you were a teen in the 80's you would probably be biased toward musicians from that era.

Auto Transport Service
Back