• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Octane Booster?

Toluene and the other potent solvent, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) are known carcinogenic chemicals that can diffuse thru the skin as well as being absorbed in the vapor state into the blood, and can cause liver failure and other problems. Is their use as an octane "booster" worth it? Personally, l think not, but it's up to the individual's own determination. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Bob was hoping you'd comment on my Race Gas post. Mentioned in earlier posts that cute game they play with octane points. RG chart seems to address that.

Toluene and the other potent solvent, MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) are known carcinogenic chemicals that can diffuse thru the skin as well as being absorbed in the vapor state into the blood, and can cause liver failure and other problems. Is their use as an octane "booster" worth it? Personally, l think not, but it's up to the individual's own determination. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Of course, dousing yourself with solvents should be avoided. Gasoline itself is a possible carcinogen as well, not to mention problems with skin irritation, breathing, heart problems... As for Toluene, taking the same care with use as you'd apply to gasoline should mean that using it to boost octane would be worth it. It is a pure hydrocarbon, more pure than gasoline itself. The government epa site in fact lists the primary use of toluene as an octane booster, all other commercial uses such as paint thinner, cleaning agent etc. come after that.
"The major use of toluene is as a mixture added to gasoline to improve octane ratings. "
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/toluene.pdf

Toluene, with its 114 octane has been used as high as 85% in Formula One cars.

Blending of "Race Gas" octane booster, note wording 40 points of octane. Comments.View attachment 922809
Fran,
Just curious as to the source of the Race Gas Calculator? Looking at the posting, it appears that the program came from "The Race Gas" company which may be slightly "biased". I would think that its not simply a volumetric or octane averaging calculation, but may (or should) factor in the heating value, in BTU/gallon of the components as well as, possibly, other factors, like specific gravity, Reid Vapor Index (measures volitility) or simply the octane average. But not knowing how it, the program, was derived or the overall objective (to sell their product?), it's difficult to predict (or accept) the results. I'm skeptical..... Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Bob,

What ratio do you blend to? I apologize if you already mentioned and I missed it.

Mike

Bob,

What ratio do you blend to? I apologize if you already mentioned and I missed it.

Mike
I generally use ~ 3.5 gallons of the Sunoco Race Fuels Standard 110 octane leaded to approximately 1/2 tank of 93 octane pump gas. This works for me with 35° total spark advance, all in by 2400 RPM, no vacuum advance. The determination of the "correct" blend is detonation (or lack of) at top of 3rd gear....
Try the Sunoco Race Fuels website to see which fuel is best for you.
BOB RENTON

For those of you who require more octane than can be found at the pump, are there any products that you've tried and found that it worked as advertised? I can easily get ethanol free gas where I'm located but it's mostly 89 octane.
One of the advertisers on here "BOOSTANE" IS GREAT I USE 93 OCTANE at the pump and still get spark knock. I add boostane and no spark knock. I only add enough to bring it up to 95-97 octane but it works

Auto Transport Service
Back