• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

favorite oil filters?

favorite oil filter?

• Wix

Votes: 137 51.3%
  • Mopar Performance

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Fram

Votes: 52 19.5%
  • Purolator

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 16.9%

• Total voters
Interesting poll for me. Have used Fram for years (convenient) but for the past five years or so have been using Mopar restoration HP filters for my Mopars and Wix for a few GM I have.

MOROSO makes a great one too, K&n is also excellant choices. mopar performance is frams hp version.

When I got into Pinks All Out at Maple Grove, I got into the 16 car field and WIX gave all of us a $550.00 gift certificate. Needless to say I bought 550. worth of the 51515R oil filters. Funny thing their retail price in their catalog is twice the price where I get mine all the time si I got 1/2 the value.

I have been using Motorcraft on all my Mopars for the last 20 years & have no complaints. I have also used WIX, but mostly Motorcraft.

I have to use the MoPar filters on my V-10, anything else squeels like a v belt slipping.

Used to Wix on my Challlenger. Now i got a small stock of MP filters only because i happended to see them at the local wal-mart for 4 and change a piece.

Ac-delco's on the GM's.

I've been using Fram HP racing filters in my hot rod. Never used Wix but have heard lots of good things about them. I have one more HP left and maybe after that I will try a Wix and cut both open to compare the inside.

I have been using Motorcraft on all my Mopars for the last 20 years & have no complaints. I have also used WIX, but mostly Motorcraft.

It's Wix or purolator for me.

Actually wix or motorcraft but I say purolator because I think they make the motorcraft filters?

Anybody using a Filtermag along with your filter? I have, and I'm amazed at the microscopic particles held to the inside wall of the filter.

Last edited:
I use a Milodon dual line oil system with a dual remote oil filters.The Milodon pump flows a minimum of 19 GPM and increases with RPM.Years back I always used the fram hp oil filters untill a roller lifter failed,chewed up the cam sending contamination throughout the entire engine.I was f'n pissed to say the least:eusa_boohoo:I wanted to know how all that metal made it through the oil filter:icon_scratch::read2::thinker:Turn out when 19 GPM hits 2 filters that can only flow 10 GPM EACH,the bypass opens up and your not filtering DOODELY SQUAT:confused2::thatswck::mumum:So I now use the Moroso filter that can flow 16 GPM each and these filters have NO BYPASS!!Also use the Earls prefilter in the oil pick up lines coming off the oil pan:idea1:

Problem solved:bootyshake:I'm sure Wix makes one without the bypass,just stuck with the Moroso:munky2:

Attachments

• garage 4 053.jpg
    garage 4 053.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 270
  • garage 4 056.jpg
    garage 4 056.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 267
  • GARAGE 2 021.jpg
    GARAGE 2 021.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 261
My all time favorite filter is Baldwin. I am not a big fan of Fram. Being a Dodge Mechanic for the last 15 years I have seen several cummins motors fail due to Fram filters. It may not matter on gas engines or muscle car era v8s. On the cummins diesel motors they use an oil spray jet aimed at the bottom of each cylinder to cool and lubricate the the cylinders. The Fram filters were coming apart and filter material was plugging up the jets and causing the cylinders to score requiring engine replacement.

In college we cut apart several filters and stretched out the filter material. I know there are other things such as the quality of the material but the Baldwin had the most filter material by far. The Fram had the least. Purolater was the second best.

I dont know if they make the filters for our aplications but I know fleetguard has a good reputation also.

So for just quality my pics are Baldwin and Fleetguard. Normal parts house filters, I like Napa Gold, Pulolater, and Mopar in no particular order.

The Mopar Performance race filter is nice due to its higher burst pressure which is required on some cold engines with high performance oil systems.

When I got into Pinks All Out at Maple Grove, I got into the 16 car field and WIX gave all of us a $550.00 gift certificate. Needless to say I bought 550. worth of the 51515R oil filters. Funny thing their retail price in their catalog is twice the price where I get mine all the time si I got 1/2 the value.

When were ya there at Maple Grove? Ron

Oil filter cutaways

Check out this site you will see major differences in oil filters. Go to you tube type in fram oil filters you will change your mind on oil filters.

Auto Transport Service
Back