• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender tag colour different from original colour.

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi recently purchased a 66 dodge coronet that is ww1 white,
Car is totally original but what is strange is it has its original and correct fender tag but is red.
So the question I have is anybody experienced this before.
Richard.

I have seen cars that were repainted right from New..
Pics of the tag??

I have seen cars that were repainted right from New..
Pics of the tag??
Here’s a pic of the tag.

D25DB3A3-3D66-40A5-842F-FCF89EC32D6B.jpeg

It's over 50 years old, anything could have happened.

Hi
Well you have the tag off the car? So what color is it under the hood? How about a picture of the whole car including under the hood??

good luck take care be safe
tim

Sure has some patina.

WoW Must have been a brain fartttt... thought I saw the post date as 2014 My bad
getting old.. hate it..

tim

HI,
How about a picture of the whole car and under the hood not just a removed tag..

good luck take care be safe
tim

Probably what @toolmanmike said - but still curious:
Do the body stampings match the order number on the tag? - I believe they had those in '66.
My info is rather sketchy here, but - What about the defined attributes on the tags vs what your car actually has?
H4B = Blue Vinyl Bench interior?
A6B2 = 383-4
C5= Auto trans
E1 = Air Cleaner package (silenced, I think)
G1 = Basic Accessory Group (for Coronet=)
Music Master AM radio
Left remote outside mirror
Inside glare-proof (day/night?) mirror
Wheel covers
Power steering
R1 = Radio (redundant?)

There is probably a red car out there with a white tag. Someone caught the mistake and corrected it before the cars left the plant.
Best explanation if that's factory paint on the tag.
I would look under dash and behind rear seat for traces of factory color

I'd love to see the car.

Only 1679 1966 model 440 with 383-4 built.

To the OP-

I'm collecting info for a database on these cars, if you'd care to share.

There is probably a red car out there with a white tag. Someone caught the mistake and corrected it before the cars left the plant.

The purpose of metal tag is to be a traveling 'document' of a unique car as it goes through the assembly process. It's fixed/attached/hung to the Body in White after it has left the jigs and before the paint process.

The only plausible explanation for two tags being swapped is someone to do it intentionally after the car was painted but for what purpose? The numbers on the tag would no longer match the body numbers nor invoices or any other dealer or sales paperwork.
Do the body stampings match the order number on the tag? - I believe they had those in '66.

^^^ This.
When confronted with situations like the OP, always start with confirming the tag goes with the body.

Occam's Razor.

If the VIN on the OP's car is WH23G.....

Then at least it's a factory 383-4 car.

...at least if the VIN tag hasn't been swapped.

Swapping the tag by it's self would be an odd move since the engine code wouldn't match the VIN letter.

Still doesn't explain why a tag that calls for WW1 paint is red (and old).

I’ve decoded the tag and it’s 100% correct,it also has its certicard which is correct too.The vin tag on the A pillar matches also.There is no trace of red anywhere on the car.The only thing I haven’t checked are the body stampings and did they have them in 1966,if so where would they be? Core support and trunk lip?
Very greatfull for your comments as I’m a long time mopar owner in the uk and never come across this before.
YY1 sure I don’t mind sending some details, what would you require.
Richard.

Hi recently purchased a 66 dodge coronet that is ww1 white,
Car is totally original but what is strange is it has its original and correct fender tag but is red.
So the question I have is anybody experienced this before.
Richard.
It has happened before it looks like. Someone on Moparts asked about it on their 74 Challenger. Fender Tag - Different color than car?

Could be red primer... the white paint may have worn off. Just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back