• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender tag colour different from original colour.

There is no trace of red anywhere on the car.
Richard.

HHHHMMMM I don't know I'm not buying it... So they covered the crappy red paint on the vin tag and painted it a different color??? I've asked a couple of time for picture of the whole car So we can see what it really going on... and nothing.. and asking for where other ID's would be located sounds like someone looking to change ID's and piecing something together that it is not..
I don't know I'm out..

good luck take care be safe
tim

Why is the tag not attached to the car?

is the red paint actually red oxide primer that I find on so many mopars? and built at a plant that didnt attach tags permanently until after paint?

HHHHMMMM I don't know I'm not buying it... So they covered the crappy red paint on the vin tag and painted it a different color??? I've asked a couple of time for picture of the whole car So we can see what it really going on... and nothing.. and asking for where other ID's would be located sounds like someone looking to change ID's and piecing something together that it is not..
I don't know I'm out..

tim
Tim there’s nothing dodgy going on with this car and to prove it here are some photos as you asked.
The tag was screwed on to the inner fender and no it’s diff not red primer.
I’ve added the core support number too.
Also after cleaning the underside of the tag there is trace of white paint.
As you can see from the pics under the hood has been painted Matt black, but I will be returning it to white.

1774923A-1DAE-46CF-AF56-E0A039D20F3E.jpeg

4277D75D-5F44-4050-BE35-E185540F90BB.jpeg

3364D3DB-12CD-433F-BC20-A12433DBD14A.jpeg

9225E188-59B9-4D8F-9260-AA59E09D04B6.jpeg

045109A0-D759-4EAA-A46D-092D02C6D3FF.jpeg

EFC4F148-9DC2-4767-A453-18A457C9681E.jpeg

1E5E3D6A-6DE3-4FCD-9729-88191A3BFFD7.jpeg

B18F32C5-0098-457F-9F9C-0C287C8F8B38.jpeg

22EE44AD-BC8C-41E5-9A88-B5FA30E5E55C.jpeg

Thanks,..
Nice car..
Does the Vin tag give interior color?? maybe it came with Red interior that would explain the vin tag being red most of the time (I think) the under hood color matches interior color? Maybe someone/time during its refurbish the interior was changed?

tim

HI,
i took this picture an enlarged it to 340 enlargement and I think I see hints of Red bleeding thru the black on the fender by where the tag came from and on the front around the latch.. Might just be an optical illusion?? someone else try it and what do you see. It also might just be reflection off the wall??
good luck take care besafe
tim
1668651679681.png

Under the hood should be white just like the car, so someone painted it red, then black.. or someting like that...

After painting the engine compartment black they might have just painted the tag red to highlight it. No big deal, looks original.

Nice looking ride :thumbsup:

Way back in the 70's, I took my fender tag (purple paint) and stripped it then painted it black to make it stand out more. Silly kid thing, don't ask me why I thought it was a good idea. But maybe somebody else had similar thoughts.

Car is coded for blue interior on the tag- which it has.

Great colors on that body style.

One of the perplexing things about the tag color is that it looks old and OEM, with just the right amount of patina.

Also- if someone painted it on purpose....why wouldn't they have done a better job?
It would have been easy to do a MUCH better job.

Car is coded for blue interior on the tag- which it has.
HI,
Blue?? its Black with just blue door panel inserts? Is that what they call blue? i would have though blue meant seats and carpet and doors?

tim

I see a 2 tone blue interior in the pics above.

A factory black and blue interior would be really odd.

Technically "upper door panels" is a separate option line item and they could have been ordered black.

The most common tri-color interior treatment via UDP color I've seen is gold.

Interestingly 66 Coronet 440's had mostly 2 tone interiors while 500's had monotone.

My first Mopar was a 66 Coronet 440, white with 2 tone blue int, just like the OP's car.

The Blue is deceptively dark for the model year. Pic attached from Ham. Hist. Blue and Black are right next to each other - give a look.

I think OP will have to tell us if we're seeing blue or not in the pics as it is, indeed, quite difficult to differentiate.

66_Coronet_Charger0013.jpg

HI
Well if you look close you can see white paint under where he pulled the tag from.. So It was white under the hood... as far as the red tag only the painter knows..

tim

I can confirm the interior is blue vinyl.
I’ve scrapped some of the black paint of the rad cowl and yes there is trace of red paint.
So my guess is maybe someone made a mistake at the factory and started painting it red along with the tag then realised and stopped.
Either way we will never know and I will be pulling the motor and putting it back white.
Thanks for all your comments guys.
Richard.

@uk 68 roadrunner

Thanks.

I finally got around to adding your pics and info to my data.

I now have 11 of the 1679.

Auto Transport Service
Back