• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiberglass tips or tricks

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I will be removing the brackets eventually. I am just using them for all of the mock up stages for now to make sure everything works , lines up & how it looks more than anything.
I kinda thought that might be the case:thumbsup:

You've probably looked into it enough to know but if not.. It's much easier and cleaner to lay each layer of mat or fabric in place then saturate it with a paint brush. Can't wait to see it, I love projects like this where if it doesn't quite please you you chop it up and make it work for you lol.

I may try to channel one side of the nostrils for air to the rear carb & the other side to the front carb within the bubble.

Worked on project Super Shaker a little more this weekend. Time to start fiberglassing it all back together next. Stretched the Nostril openings down slightly to see how it will looking from 2-1/2" tall openings to 4" tall openings. Not pictured but I made some aluminum stanchions that also joined the lower base to the upper bubble to keep the needed spacing & distant correct & everything center to the hood opening. What is my easiest way to continue from here?

20180504_210549.jpg 20180504_210538.jpg 20180504_205810.jpg 20180504_205758.jpg

You guys doing a great job. Need some help looking for fenders,hood and bumpers for my 1964 440. Aar has bumpers and glasstek show a hood its the fenders having real hard time with.would also like to buy all from same place any help would be great.

Worked on project Super Shaker a little more this weekend. Time to start fiberglassing it all back together next. Stretched the Nostril openings down slightly to see how it will looking from 2-1/2" tall openings to 4" tall openings. Not pictured but I made some aluminum stanchions that also joined the lower base to the upper bubble to keep the needed spacing & distant correct & everything center to the hood opening. What is my easiest way to continue from here?

View attachment 603678 View attachment 603679 View attachment 603680 View attachment 603681
Hmmm, might try spray foam? If you have it pretty secure just fill that puppy with spray foam then cut and sand the foam that bulges out to shape, glass it all in then remove the foam? The foam could be quickly removed with a wire wheel on an die grinder once the bulk of it is cut out?

Experiment on the foam first, the resin may eat it. If it does eat it then just paint it with latex paint prior to glassing it.

Polyester resin might eat it but epoxy resin which costs more but bonds far stronger shouldn't dissolve it.

Okay, thanks for the tips. I will have to check to see what type of resin they sent me next time I go out in the garage. I don't remember?

It's pretty simple - if your resin needs a few drops of hardener, it's polyester. Epoxy resin is usually mixed as two equal parts of liquid.

Polyester resin might eat it but epoxy resin which costs more but bonds far stronger shouldn't dissolve it.
My dad built a KR2 airplane and used nothing but Epoxy, tuff stuff. To bad life and health kept him from ever getting it off the ground. At any rate that's where I learned how to work fiberglass.

Auto Transport Service
Back