• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Bought My Dream Car. 1969 Roadrunner Project

Pretty good stuff I like it so far. A little of both actually. :glasses9: Will do on the scuff up part. What did you use to scuff it up? just a couple light go overs with some 80 grit?

80 is a bit overkill Stevo... Around 220 or even the Maroon 3M metal scuff pads will do the trick. Scuff it till there is absolutely no sheen left to the surface. Meaning the paint has a flat appearance.

Steve, I was 18 years old and in high school when I bought my 1970 GTX and now I am 51 and still
enjoy it as much as I did back then, I have had a lot of other cars and still do but this one has always been my favorite (included a pic from 1979 the day I bought it, looks allot better now).
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as we all do.

440+6

View attachment 89026

80 is a bit overkill Stevo... Around 220 or even the Maroon 3M metal scuff pads will do the trick. Scuff it till there is absolutely no sheen left to the surface. Meaning the paint has a flat appearance.
Will do. I'll remember that for when I get to it

Nice ride 440+6...Well worked OT yesterday at work so didn't get a chance to work on the car til this morning. Prepped another section of roof and got it painted in rust bullet. Gonna wait for it to cure up then get started on the prepping of the rest of the roof. Overhead work is pretty tiring so I find doing it in sections a little easier.
photo1nktc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also I tried getting as much as I could down into the seams where the outer panel goes past and into the bracing. But anybody got any tips on how to get it real deep down in there. I'm guessing to spray it in? Anybody got anything better?

what did you use to clean the inside of your roof. that is something i have to do on mine.

I don't know if you have anyway to get into it from the rear, but if you do eastwood has a rust proofing kit that has a long nozzle with a special tip for spraying the inside stuff like the rocker panels. You could possibly put a flexible hose on it to get into tighter spots. Keep plugging away.

what did you use to clean the inside of your roof. that is something i have to do on mine.
I used my grinder with a wire wheel. Then when I was all done I cleaned it real good with some mineral spirits. After that I applied 2 coats of rust bullet.

Put in a good nights worth of work.
Took a picture about half way through the prep work
photo2adr.jpg
Finished with the rust bullet lastnight. Phone died cause I was listening to music working on the car forever. So went out this morning and snapped a couple pictures before covering her up for the rest of the weekend.
photo3st.jpg
photo4nl.jpg
photo5kp.jpg
Nothing like being cooped up in a car wearing a respirator filled with rust dust for awhile. So finished my goal of getting the whole roof done in rust bullet. Was worth the hours of work.

Looks like it was worth it to me. That looks like brand new metal. Helluvajob.

Looks like it was worth it to me. That looks like brand new metal. Helluvajob.
Thanks. I wanted to quit half way through and just do the back portion then finish off the rest today. But figured I'd be more satisfied if I just got it all done in one shot. Was definitely worth it.

I agree, That does look like brand new metal, real good job it looks great!

Nice work Stevo. You have a great car there. Best of luck on your resto. I look foward to watching the progress.

Brian

Pulled all the Dash stuff out yesterday.
55dd.jpg

photo68il.jpg

photo78t.jpg

photo75.jpg

photo71bg.jpg

photo69wy.jpg

Am I missing any pieces to my brake/clutch assembly?
photo73u.jpg

photo72z.jpg

photo70fu.jpg

photo66n.jpg

Put the window back in when I was done just so the interior of the car isn't out in the open. No cancer or any real pitting in the whole firewall area. So just gotta clean it all up and give it the same treatment as the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

Was looking at my inner fenders and radiator support and pretty much have come to the conclusion that there going to have to get replaced. Anybody have any tips on inner fender replacement. I'm thinking of taking the car to a frame alignment shop when I get some of the sheetmetal off to double check to see if everything's alright. Or I'll measure it myself

Pulled all the Dash stuff out yesterday.
55dd.jpg

photo68il.jpg

photo78t.jpg

photo75.jpg

photo71bg.jpg

photo69wy.jpg

Am I missing any pieces to my brake/clutch assembly?
photo73u.jpg

photo72z.jpg

photo70fu.jpg

photo66n.jpg

Put the window back in when I was done just so the interior of the car isn't out in the open. No cancer or any real pitting in the whole firewall area. So just gotta clean it all up and give it the same treatment as the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

Was looking at my inner fenders and radiator support and pretty much have come to the conclusion that there going to have to get replaced. Anybody have any tips on inner fender replacement. I'm thinking of taking the car to a frame alignment shop when I get some of the sheetmetal off to double check to see if everything's alright. Or I'll measure it myself

This may help on the measuring.

View attachment 90014

photo85n.jpg
Pulled the engine and tranny today. Both for $100.. more or less just wanted it gone and out of the car. Guy said it was going in his challenger after he bores it out to a 390.

Hey Steve, any luck on finding the previous owners? I, like you, grew up with a 68 Road Runner and have been obsessed with them ever since. I actually found my dads old Road Runner. I am really glad the car is getting saved. I actually bought the car for my 1 year old son but I got stuck with a really clean N96 69 Runner and figured I would give that to him instead and your car was sold to the Alpine guy.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?3855-The-Runner-that-started-it-all

Hey Steve, any luck on finding the previous owners? I, like you, grew up with a red Chevelle with the ultra rare hood stripes and have been obsessed with them ever since. I actually found my dads old Road Runner. I am really glad the car is getting saved. I actually bought the car for my 1 year old son but I got stuck with a really clean N96 69 Runner and figured I would give that to him instead and your car was sold to the Alpine guy.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?3855-The-Runner-that-started-it-all
.:toothy4:

Auto Transport Service
Back