• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally Installed my 2 post lift...

Thrashingcows

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
Well I finally got my 2 post lift installed in the shop...well that was about a month ago now! ;) It's a 9000lbs off shore unit but I only paid $1100 for it I think...that was almost 5 years ago now. Bought it before I even built the shop and was tarped up outside for several years, then once the shop was built it was moved inside.

So once I got it dug out from it's hiding spot I had to figure out how to disassemble it from it's packing cradle...after some pondering I figured the new engine picker, that I bought over a year ago when on sale and have not used as of yet....would be the ticket!

a3icY0Fh.jpg

Hooked up the picker and it turned out the hydraulic cylinder was shot and would drop as soon as I stopped pumping...but through frantic pumping and sketchy maneuvers I managed to get the columns apart.

2phJsRXh.jpg

When I had the shop built I had already planned on the 2 post lift so I had extra concrete and rebar installed where the lift would be positioned. I had enough forethought to take pictures and measurements of where the rebar was positioned before they poured the slab. So I was able to mark out the approx location of the rebar in the floor so I wouldn't run into it when drilling the holes for the anchors. You can see the lines on the floor for where the rebar was located. Then I stood up the columns and positioned them and spent several hours measuring, marking, checking and rechecking until I had everything set up.

Once they were marked out it was time to drill the holes...Then set the anchors....I don't like the stud style anchors so I went with the drop in and set style.

MtPpCWwh.jpg

Then due to the drill bit walking a bit I had to massage the openings in the base to align with the anchors.

ZtDLRKnh.jpg

All bolted down...I went with grade 5 bolts and hardened washers since the shear for grade 5 and grad 8 are pretty close, but a grade 5 will stretch before it snaps unlike the grade * that just goes Ka-Ting and it broken!

V2DA3Qah.jpg

Then run the cables and hydraulic lines....Had to get the hydraulic line between the column shortened since it was about 2" to long and would have been rubbed by the cables under the plate.

28ED8oih.jpg

And again since I knew where the lift was going to be positioned I installed an outlet in the ceiling, so I just had to run some armored cable down to the pump and then drill and tap a couple locations on the column to secure it.

SNc6pIZh.jpg

Pretty much all done and ready to go....

RvZH6Qmh.jpg

Y4K23aXh.jpg

Now I knew what I was getting when I bought the off shore unit, and the construction and welds are what I expected....no perfect but serviceable. I will be diligent about inspecting it regularly to make sure there is no stress or cracking showing in the assembly and welds. But over all it seems like a pretty decent unit!

I've had my cummins crewcab up on the lift...not very high though due to it being a bit unstable due to it's length, but it's just shy of 7000lbs and the lift did not seem to have any issue getting it up off the ground.

lSfCfB6h.jpg

That a twist lock in the ceiling or just straight pronged plug that you can easily pull by yanking the cable???

..for the day the pump controller locks on on you!
jukebox2 054.jpg

220v electric motor ? Looks good, you'll probably be wondering how you made it this long without a lift.

It's a 220V motor...Already it has come in handy!

That a twist lock in the ceiling or just straight pronged plug that you can easily pull by yanking the cable???

..for the day the pump controller locks on on you!
View attachment 1275838

It's a hard mechanical 90* in a metal plate, then armored cable down to the pump...I had not thought of that as a potential problem!:eek: I might just wire in an ON/OFF switch between the pump and the ceiling connection as an emergency power shut off. Thanks for the heads up and suggestion!:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back