• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Had another pic that would not load . . . so here it with another great picture . . .

Here's a picture of my hand and my newest granddaughter's hand . . . she was a premie . . .
She's so tiny . . . she's currently still under 5 pounds but doing GREAT ! ! !

sm_shop188.jpg

And I got the back opening measured out - and secured in place . . . the wall length - is spot on - top and bottom . . .

sm_shop187.jpg

Bought the 2 x 12's to be able to get the headers in place . . . that's next on the agenda . . .
Plus filling in the areas above the headers . . .then the 2nd top plates on top of that . . . and the . . .
I'll be adding the 2 x 6 roof trusses in place . . . with the 1 x 6 purlins to support the roofing . . .

Things are moving along . . .

More later . . .

I'm curious - are you going to notch out the uprights at the garage door, to make room for the header? It needs to sit on not just one, but three, on each side...and your uprights seem to go from footer-to-roof?

Nice looking progress!

I'm curious - are you going to notch out the uprights at the garage door, to make room for the header? It needs to sit on not just one, but three, on each side...and your uprights seem to go from footer-to-roof?

Nice looking progress!

Actually . . . it's a triple - and I'll cut out two to install the headers . . . will be working on that tomorrow ( playing hooky again from work )

The reason I didn't do it already is I'm waiting to see what the height of my door . . . so it was easiest to run them full length . . .

Update . . . and tonight's short session . . .

Here's the picture of the cross brace that I added and forgot to get a picture . . .

sm_shop189.jpg

Then tonight I had only about an hour and worked on the fire stops ( and additional bracing ) . . .
MAN does that stiffen up the supports ! ! !

sm_shop190.jpg

Will be working on this tomorrow . . . installing 2 headers . . . and more on the fire stops . . .

More later . . .

Tuesday Hooky Progress . . .

Had a good day, nice weather, and great progress on the shop . . .

Building one of the headers . . .

sm_shop191.jpg

Now the uprights need to be notched properly to fit the header . . .
Another reason that it was not built into the wall was weight - and being able to pick it up . . .

sm_shop192.jpg

Got both sides notched to accept the header that was built . . .

sm_shop193.jpg

Now for the "fun" part . . . getting that thing up into place ? ! ? ! ?

sm_shop194.jpg

Got 'er done . . .

sm_shop195.jpg

Then the section of wall to go above the header was built - and ready to set in place . . .

sm_shop196.jpg

One of the doors has been framed . . .

sm_shop197.jpg

Header in place for the other doorway . . .

sm_shop198.jpg

And the framing above the header in place . . .

sm_shop199.jpg

Also worked some more on the fire stops for this wall - they are not needed but I like the way they help stiffen up the wall.

sm_shop200.jpg

All in all, it was a good day, and lots was accomplished . . .

More later . . .

Good rest of the week and Saturday progress . . .

Had a really good week on progress for the shop build . . .

Started by adding a cross brace to the back right wall . . . but had fun with this warped board . . .

sm_shop201.jpg

And here's proof that I was not joking . . . both ends of the string . . .

sm_shop202.jpg

Also added one to the back wall . . . that thing is now ROCK SOLID . . . it does not MOVE.
And you can see that I've got the firestops done in this wall too . . .

sm_shop203.jpg

Actually - got all of the firestops done in all the walls on the shop . . . was a good day . . .

sm_shop204.jpg

The right wall . . .

sm_shop205.jpg

The front of that wall . . .

sm_shop206.jpg

And the remainder of the left wall . . . feels good to have that done . . .

sm_shop207.jpg

Here's my favorite board in the shop . . . actually there are 2 of them . . . Thanks Devin @747mopar for your help ! ! !

sm_shop208.jpg

Now that the walls are done . . . rafter are the next project . . . and that begins tomorrow . . .
BUT . . . I also know that I'm going to be short on my lumber . . . about 10 boards . . .
So I'll get what I can done . . . and I'm making another order for more lumber . . . Dang It ! ! !

More later . . .

Wow . . . what a day . . . Good day, but slow in progress . . .

Guess climbing up and down ladders on each side of the rafters . . . slows one down a bit . . .

Built this to go on the end and better support the overhang on the back . . . got it at 16" . . .
Now . . . just need to get it up there and in place . . . OH BOY . . .

sm_shop209.jpg

First thing, wrestled it up onto the wall . . . that was no simple task . . .

sm_shop210.jpg

Then literally climbed the other ladder while carrying it up with me . . .
Clamped it down . . . moved it into position . . . aligned it . . . the screwed it down into place . . .

sm_shop211.jpg

After getting that into place . . . the rafters started to go into place a lot quicker . . .
Spent a lot of time on the first one, because all the rest will be referenced off of it . . .wanted it done "right" . . .

sm_shop212.jpg

A closer look at how that went into place . . .

sm_shop213.jpg

The overhang on the back of the shop . . .

sm_shop214.jpg

And the side overhang on the shop . . .

sm_shop215.jpg

The ladder climbing added a large slow down, and my progress was greatly reduced, but did make good progress.
My hope was to get all the rest of the lumber up on the shop - that did not happen ( got about half of it )

Predictions for rain all week here . . . not sure I'll be able to get much of anything done here after work . . .

More later . . .

For those of you who have never built anything using sawmill (full dimension) lumber, know
one thing:
That shiyat is HEAVY. Dense, heavy as hell and chock full of splinter opportunities to boot. :)

What this young man is accomplishing mostly on his own with it is pretty damn impressive. :thumbsup:

Tonight's progress . . .

Tried to get "something" don with the little bit of light that's available to me after work . . .
And I made some progress . . .

Got 10 more roof rafters in place before I lost daylight ( I know use lights . . . )
I'm climbing ladders - I'd like to be able to see what I'm doing and be safe since I'm working alone . . .

sm_shop216.jpg

Looks like I'm going to be about 12 16' boards short of this roof completion . . . bummer . . .

But, in the meantime, go this name hanging all sanded and painted for my "newest" granddaughter . . .

sm_shop217.jpg

Then I realized . . . that the first wall piece was raised this month, so the entire wood building was completed this month !
I'm pretty impressed with that as I only got 1-2 days a week to really work on this thing do to "life" stuff getting in the way . . .
Got 11 more boards, but 2 are not useable - so 9 left to get the building done with what I have - and rain the next two days.

Should be able to wrap this up on Saturday . . .

More later . . .

Today's progress . . . and Milestone . . .

Today's progress was good and it allowed me to reach a Milestone . . .
ALL the lumber I got for my build is now installed in my building . . . but I'm short and need more ( it's ordered )

The location of what "used to be" my lumber stacks . . .

sm_shop218.jpg

Spaced out the last of the roof rafters - will fill in the gaps with the newer (wet) lumber . . . figured it would be better
to inter-mingle them then have them all together - since they will shrink as they dry . . .

sm_shop219.jpg

Had 2 boards that were pretty badly warped . . . in opposite directions . . . which helps . . .
These (2) boards that are sistered together are them - clamped them to get them straight - then screwed them together
Now as they sit there and further dry, they'll "assist" to remove the warp form their sister board - then I'll split that and install them

sm_shop220.jpg

One more item that I'll have to address . . . is what to do here . . . ( not too good on the planning side . . . )

sm_shop221.jpg

Starting to actually start looking like it's a "shop" . . . .

sm_shop222.jpg

After getting this all done - I noticed . . .

- the string I set up to align the rafter ends, was not even, it tapered in as it went to the front (good thing I noticed before getting all of them installed)
- - went back and had to re-adjust about 8-10 rafters - but they're all good now (at least I'm happy with the results now)
- the measurement at the top of the wall did not match the bottom of the wall . . . so I did some adjustments on that too
- - every rafter top was unscrewed on the "high side" as I worked through the measurements
- - got them moved both in and out in a couple spots and got them as close as I could ( I'm happy with the results )

Now just wishing . . . I had more lumber to continue with this tomorrow . . .

More later . . .

I too found out the hard way that using strings is the best way to put everything together...

I left the ones on my bulkheads up for a while...maybe 3 weeks and could actually go back and re-adjust a couple after everything started to dry out...

Well . . . my miscalculations on my supplies has slowed down my progress on the shop,
and the cold weather and early darkness have not done much either to assist in the shop progress . . .

Ordered, and should be picking up my metal roofing this week, and I got word that the mill might be cutting poplar again this week . . . so I might be making (2) trips to pick up some much needed supplies and just in time for a long Thanksgiving holiday weekend ! ! !

In the meantime . . . here's what I've been up to . . .

Got the names done for my newest granddaughter . . . and got them delivered to my daughter in Roanoke Virginia . . .

sm_shop223.jpg

Then I got some new, nifty, mulching blades for the mower, to assist with the leaves . . . but (of course )
They were listed to "fit" . . . but I had to do a little fabrication to make them work . . .

sm_shop224.jpg

Had to cut off 1/2" from each end on all three of the blades . . .

sm_shop225.jpg

And, I'm really happy with the new blades as they do a great job with mulching the leaves . . . as you can see below . . .

sm_shop226.jpg

And, the colder weather, caused me to finally break down and install the top on my Jeep . . .
Was thinking of trying to go all winter with no top . . . but they're calling for temps in the teens tomorrow morning . . .
Top has been put on ! !

sm_shop227.jpg

Still working on the shop, as I've got a lot of hurricane straps that will be installed to all to the rafters . . .
we don't usually get them here, but Hugo did hit Charlotte pretty bad,
and we do get some tornados - from time to time - so I'll put these on and play it safe . . .

This is the side rafter - that sticks out the back overhang . . .

sm_shop228.jpg

And the short wall hurricane straps . . .

sm_shop229.jpg

This will be a better picture for you to see the difference between the overhang, and the short wall . . .

sm_shop230.jpg

Hoping that my supplies might be ready and show up this week . . . so I can get back on this soon . . .

More later . . .

Just got back from a trip from hell . . . I'm going to bed, I'll provide the report tomorrow . . . ZZZZzzzz....

The wait is over . . . and it's time to get back to this building . . . ( I think ) . . .

Sorry for the lack of reporting . . . but more supplies were needed, and they just got here.

Friday, took a half day off work and ran to pick up the metal roofing . . .

sm_shop231.jpg

The evening sky was perfect for watching the eclipse . . . but I had to be up at 4AM, so I was sleeping . . .

sm_shop232.jpg

And, my load of lumber is sitting, still on the trailer, waiting be be unloaded, and for the work to begin . . .
Literally got home at 8PM last night . . . "the trip from Hell" . . . coming soon to a post in this thread . . . soon . . .

sm_shop233.jpg

The other controlling factor . . . since the last time I was building and sweating my arse off . . .
This is what I've got this morning to work with for temps . . . OH BOY . . .

sm_shop234.jpg

Guess I'll be giving the day a little bit of time to warm up and I'll be back at it . . .

More later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back