• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

A thin layer of foam...then a treated 2x6...then your standard 2x6...

Time to roll...

16  8-7-16.jpg

Maybe I missed something...how are you integrating the new addition to the existing shop?

It's not going to tie in . . .

This "part" will allow me to empty the existing shop, then dismantle the old shop, and finally build my bigger shop in its place . . .

That's the plan . . . At least . . .

Got this name cut out . . . finally . . .

sm_shop151.jpg

and now for the fine tuning and finishing work . . .

More later . . .

Weekend progress report . . .

Made some good progress this weekend on the shop . . .

Got the second panel built and ready to go in place . . . had it on top of the sill plate, trying to line up the bolts in the holes . . .

Confession - dumped the panel over the wall onto the grass . . . that's when I decided I need "another" way . . .

sm_shop152.jpg

So plan B - re-purposing the engine cherry picker, it's now a shop wall lifter ( and life saver )

sm_shop153.jpg

I honestly think that this saved my behind and allowed me to get all this done this weekend . . .

Panel two going into place . . .

sm_shop154.jpg

Panel 4 is in place - had I thought about it, would have the shop a facto of 4 - 48, 52 . . . not 50
this ended up being a 2' wall - put it in the middle so that the 2nd top plate will reinforce it.

sm_shop155.jpg

All of the panels in place on this wall - the shorter 50' wall section is now done . . .

sm_shop156.jpg

And I like the way it's looking . . . looks like I need to do some tree pruning too . . .

sm_shop157.jpg

This is site for these sore old eyes . . . glad to see it finally coming together . . .

More later . . .

Low and behold . . . my lumber piles are shrinking . . .

Before . . .

sm_lumber03-jpg.jpg

And after . . .

sm_shop158.jpg

Sign of progress . . . .

More later . . .

The Very Humid Night session . . .

The humidity was sweltering down here tonight . . . but I took the night before the rain hits to get something done . . .

Did a couple Sketchup drawings to help determine the board length on the angled walls . . . The front wall . . .

sm_shop159.jpg

And the back wall . . .

sm_shop160.jpg

My 10' length board stack is officially gone now . . the last 4 boards went into this wall section . . . I have Turned the corner now ! ! !

sm_shop161.jpg

Nice to see it . . . put a level on it and it needs a very little tweaking - it's reading 89.5 degrees . . . not too shabby !

sm_shop162.jpg

We've got rain predicted for the next 4-5 days . . . so I doubt that much will be able to get done on this . . . Dang it !

More later . . .

Last edited:
How are you planning on installing the header for the garage door in the end wall? It should bear on at least 1 of the 2x4's in the end wall. The header will take a small roof load and part of the weight of the garage door.

It's not going to tie in . . .

This "part" will allow me to empty the existing shop, then dismantle the old shop, and finally build my bigger shop in its place . . .

That's the plan . . . At least . . .

I had wondered the same thing, and now we know! Looks like a fun project.

How are you planning on installing the header for the garage door in the end wall? It should bear on at least 1 of the 2x4's in the end wall. The header will take a small roof load and part of the weight of the garage door.

Once I get my door and the height, I'll get it put in at the correct height . . . That's the purpose of the triples on both sides of the door . . . It's not in the drawing as I await the actual door height - looking for 8' height on the door - I hope

Since it's raining, and I can't work on the shop . . . looks like my granddaughter name tag gets some attention . . . .

If you compare this to the original cut out, you can see how several hours of sanding has rounded off all of the edges to soften them up . . .

Turns out for a very nice look . . .

sm_shop163.jpg

Next . . . couple coats of primer . . . sanding . . . and then a couple coats of paint . . .

More later . . .

Sunday Progress . . . Not weekend due to rain on Saturday . . .

Made some good progress for only 1 day . . .

Built the other half of the front wall . . .

sm_shop164.jpg

What happens when the plans state - 3/16 . . . and you cut it 3/8 . . . you get to "fix" it - DUMMY ! ! !

sm_shop165.jpg

Top plate installed on the front wall . . . just need my door to figure out the header location and finish this . . .

sm_shop166.jpg

Nice to see it coming together . . .

sm_shop167.jpg

Starting on the back wall . . . cutting and laying out the boards . . .

sm_shop168.jpg

Back wall completed, installed, bolted in place, and secured the to end wall . . . plus some Cedar tree pruning . . .

sm_shop169.jpg

Starting to look like something . . . now . . . uh, got a light that needs to be moved . . .

sm_shop170.jpg

Hope to make some more progress on the this during the week . . .

More later . . .

What happens when the plans state - 3/16 . . . and you cut it 3/8 . . . you get to "fix" it - DUMMY ! ! !
Honestly....youse guys need to get jiggy with the Metric system. :rofl:

It makes for much easier maths when calculating things.....and the decimal point actually means something of value. :D

Nice work on the shed too BTW. :thumbsup:

Honestly....youse guys need to get jiggy with the Metric system. :rofl:

It makes for much easier maths when calculating things.....and the decimal point actually means something of value. :D

Nice work on the shed too BTW. :thumbsup:

I agree, there was talk of doing exactly that back in the 70's.... Units of 10 instead of 16ths of an inch or 12 inches in a foot.... Our system is illogical... But on the other hand we've worked with it for so long we're use to it....

In the 80's Automakers kinda sorta half *** committed to metric.... That bolt is metric... But this bolt is SAE... What a clusterfuxx.... How many times do you shove a 5/16-18 bolt into a 8mm-1.25 hole before you realize WTH is causing the bolts to go in hard.....

Every old thing I have is SAE. My newer crap is all metric, of course. I like SAE. I can work metric quite well, but I can see if one is clueless about fractions, I get that.

Played Hooky from work today . . . Tuesday Progress

Made a BUNCH of progress to make up for missing Saturday due to the rain . . . and I'm sore . . .

First I started with adding this support brace in place to stiffen up this corner . . . and properly space the joists . . .

sm_shop171.jpg

Then . . . came one piece of the tall wall . . . this was a real paint to lift ( probably due to extra height )

sm_shop172.jpg

This corner is looking good . . .

sm_shop173.jpg

So . . . moved on to the next wall and got it ready to set in place . . . but did I have enough left in the tank to get it set . . .

sm_shop174.jpg

Could NOT let it get me . . . got the thing lifted and set in place . . .

sm_shop175.jpg

And from the end of the "shop" . . . this thing is coming together NICELY . . .

sm_shop176.jpg

Only a 16' wall to set in place - that's going to be FUN -
Good thing I have to go back to work tomorrow so I can rest a little . . .

More later . . .

Additional progress over the past couple days . . .

Been a bit bust here . . . FINALLY got to meet my newest granddaughter - after 6 weeks in the NICU . . .
To say the least . . . IT WAS AWESOME . . .

Now the shop build progress . . .

Last week - I got this diagonal bracing in place and the 16" on center spacing assured on the joists . . .

sm_shop177.jpg

Then Friday night, got everything cut and assembled to get the next wall in place . . .
BUT - the size, and weight, of the wall, and the night time . . . I opted to do it in the daylight for safety reasons . . .

sm_shop178.jpg

Worked on a couple different options . . .

Lifting it with a ratchet strap . . . WAY too slow
Using supports (cinder blocks seen below) worked pretty well . . . but slow . . .

sm_shop179.jpg

Could lift one side fairly easily - but needed a way to hold it in place once lifted . . . came up with this idea
And this worked great . . .

sm_shop180.jpg

The clamp and the rough surfaces of the rough cut lumber held it great . . .

sm_shop181.jpg

Just needed it high enough to be able the get my wall life (cherry picker) under the panel . . .
Got it there pretty quickly too . . .

sm_shop182.jpg

Then got it all set up for lifting the wall . . .

sm_shop183.jpg

Which it did with hardly any effort at all . . .
Had the swap the board from holding the wall up - to preventing the base from moving way from the wall
- this helped to "pull" the cherry picker toward the wall (the wheels are not very free wheeling) . . . it worked well

sm_shop184.jpg

Once it was gotten to upright at the base of the wall . . . getting it into place went fairly quickly
( due to past experience with that other wall that have set in place . . . )

Additionally - the whole thing, with this very heavy wall . . . got done By Myself - safely . . . WHEW ! ! !

sm_shop185.jpg

Just realized I missed a pic of the cross brace added in the corner . . . will get that pic tomorrow . . .
Got the whole upper corner tied all together - with the brace - and the first opening set up with the proper measurements . . .

sm_shop186.jpg

Was a great weekend . . . especially seeing my newest granddaughter . . . and progress on the shop too . . .

More later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back