• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Anchor Bolt "jig" adaptation . . . and reasoning . . .

So . . . the "jig" was a "good" idea, but the threads on the bolts were snagging on the wood as it was pulled off
- and, as a result, pulling on the anchor bolt and changing the height, and angle . . . NOT GOOD . . .

So I needed a way to set the anchor bolt . . . and remove the "jig" while leaving the bolt "untouched" . . .

RIGHT . . . easier said than done . . . MAYBE NOT . . .

So I made a "minor" adjustment to the "jig" ( as seen below ) and the ability to remove the "jig" and not move the bolt was accomplished.

Now I've got this set up for the middle of a 2 x 6 - and vertical to make putting the boards on top of them easier ( I hope ).

sm_shop123.jpg

So ( not ) looking to lugging MORE 80 pound bags of concrete mix and wet concrete around . . .

But . . . someone's gotta do it . . .

More later . . .

Night session . . .

sm_shop124.jpg

Well . . . I took a page from my friend @747mopar and tried to do some work in the "cooler" night air . . .
Problem is . . . it might be a little cooler, but it's STILL humid as all get out here . . . Still ! !

Forgot . . . my carnage from the days work . . . 20 more bags . . .

sm_shop125.jpg

But, I wanted to get (2) blocks cut and set so they can be filled with concrete and set anchor bolts tomorrow . . .

Needed ( ok, wanted ) to get this block set in place . . .

sm_shop126.jpg

Needed ( ok, wanted ) to also get this block set in place . . .

sm_shop127.jpg

Had a little bit more mortar left and set one of the blocks behind these and heading toward the back wall . . .

More later . . .

Morning session . . .

Note to self: working in the morning is NO better than at night when it's stink'n humid . . . Oh well . . .

So the mortaring of the blocks last night allowed for me to do this . . .

Was able to get both of the front walls done . . . side one . . . ( my inspector checking out my work )

sm_shop128.jpg

And the other side . . .

sm_shop129.jpg

Got a bunch more cinder blocks filled with concrete too . . .
Laying out my wall plans, to figure out where to place my anchor bolts . . .

My afternoon session . . . will be replace with seeing my granddaughter . . .

Should be back for my evening session . . . I hope . . . maybe . . . will see how I feel . . .

Making progress ! ! !

More later . . .

Saw this on a You Tube video & thought it belonged in your thread...

No real reason, just seems to fit.... :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 9.43.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 9.43.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 9.42.32 PM.png

After Work Session . . .

So we have rain blowing in and I had 5 bags of concrete mix in the back of my truck - NOT GOOD.

So I got them mixed up and in the block walls . . . the 50' wall, from the corner . . .

sm_shop130.jpg

Now the color difference you can tell where the new pour was started . . .

sm_shop131.jpg

All the way to the corner . . . so this 50' wall is now DONE . . .

sm_shop132.jpg

And "all" I've got left is this one last 50' wall that will have 2 doorways through it . . . size is to be determined . . .

sm_shop133.jpg

REALLY want to get back out there and lay some blocks . . . and make some progress on this last wall . . .

But . . . dang it . . . it's already DARK . . .

More later . . .

Finally some more progress . . . kinda . . .

Last night had to do some fighting with the heatpump . . . and that was also my

Morning session:

This is what I needed to work on . . . my outside fan was not starting - at times ( = NO Cooling )

sm_hp01.jpg

This is what I found when I opened it . . . what a cluster . . .
- a 5 mf taped to the 45/5 mf ( with it's 5 mf not in use . . . DUH ! )
- and a "booster" added to the 45 mf capacitor

sm_hp02.jpg

Another view of the original "mess" . . .

sm_hp03.jpg

Got enough connections to this common lead . . . even had a cheater on it to allow an additional connection . . .
GAWD ! ! !

sm_hp04.jpg

Now - if the HVAC people replace this for you - they charge you $300 for this . . . bought it for $30 . . .

sm_hp05.jpg

Motor cost me $175 . . . don't even want to know what they'd charge . . .
Only "trouble" that I thought I had . . . these nuts would not fit - so on the lathe, drilled and tapped out to 10-32
These are VERY large - with a 1/2" socket head on them . . .

sm_hp06.jpg

Here's my finished wiring job - showing some pride in my work . . .

sm_hp07.jpg

Including adding grommets through the metal to protect the wires . . .

sm_hp08.jpg

Everything worked great after getting it ALL put back together . . . EXCEPT . . .

The motor spins in the wrong direction ! ! !

Thought it was a direct replacement - never checked that direction . . . till it was all installed ! !

MY bad . . . morning session done . . .More later . . .

Afternoon Session:

Now The block is finally getting done . . . Life keeps getting in the way . . .

Made some good progress this afternoon . . . on my last wall of blocks . . .

sm_shop134.jpg

Only 4 1/2 blocks left to do in this wall . . .

sm_shop135.jpg

Need the second course on this wall . . . and filled with concrete . . .

sm_shop136.jpg

Only a single 1/2 block needed in this wall . . .

sm_shop137.jpg

Getting there . . . two 6' doors . . .

sm_shop138.jpg

Evening Session:

Filled all the 2nd course in the front blocks, and added 2 anchor bolts . . .
Filled all the 2nd course in the back wall, and added 3-4 anchor bolts . . .
Filled a couple more it the back corner with the left over concrete . . .

Will fill more of the tomorrow when I can see what I'm doing . . .
and hopefully the remainder of the blocks . . .

More later . . .

Spent the day with my Grandpa responsibilities . . . and loving it ! !

After getting home I had maybe an hour of daylight left . . . so I got this done . . .

sm_shop139.jpg

More later . . ..

My after work . . . pre night time session . . .

trying to continue to make progress on this build, So I'm trying to knock things out as I can find a little time . . .
Great weather, cooler temps, lower humidity . . . so I'm trying to take advantage of it . . .

Happy that I made good progress and got the second course on this whole wall done . . .thought I mostly done with them
- then dumped the remainder of the mortar . . . and started mixing concrete to fill the holes . . . 1/2 the wall done !

sm_shop140.jpg

Then I turn around and realized that I forgot about these 4 remaining blocks in this part of the wall . . .
- and I had the mortar to be able to get it done to boot . . . argh ! !

sm_shop141.jpg

Tomorrow is another day . . .

More later . . .

Night light's working over time I see. Do you get double pay for night work. LOL. Look's good wish ya the best their. You know once the slab is down then the work start's. Hey have fun and when your done you can have a beer and celebrate. Like your feathered sight inspector's. Had three jakes in my field a few month's back. Cool. :thumbsup:

Maybe I missed something...how are you integrating the new addition to the existing shop?

Last night I had to go buy 4 more blocks to get the last 4 1/2 blocks cut out of them and get them installed on the corners . . . also needed another bag of masonry cement.

Got the 1/2 blocks all cut and was ready for tonight . . .

The after work session:

Got out and worked on the blocks again - and here's my progress . . .

The block work is done . . .

sm_shop142.jpg

The front portion - just a few that need to be filled - and most of them need anchor bolts in them too

sm_shop143.jpg

The center section . . . only a few more . . .

sm_shop144.jpg

The back section . . . same here . . .

sm_shop145.jpg

Now it's time to get started on the framework . . .

And now, for a little side project - for my newest granddaughter . . . here it is sketched out on wood . . .

Will show you the progress on this as it develops further . . .

sm_shop146.jpg

Block work done . . . need 2 - 3 more bags, and they'll be completed . . .

More later . . .

So is the rest of the building a steel building or wood frame. Guess will have to keep watching to see. Cement is a back braking job for sure. :thumbsup:

So is the rest of the building a steel building or wood frame. Guess will have to keep watching to see. Cement is a back braking job for sure. :thumbsup:

You must have missed, over looked, or forgot (because I post so many updates) the post on page 3 - post 57 . . .

sm_lumber01-jpg.jpg

. . . or this stack of lumber . . .

sm_lumber03-jpg.jpg

No need to wait . . .

More later . . .

My after work / night session . . .

And a little drama . . . kinda . . .

Picked up some needed supplies form the local Lowes store . . .
Including my 2 x 8 sill plates and my last 2 - 80 pound bags of concrete mix . . .

sm_shop147.jpg

Get home, mix up the concrete . . . start pouring it in the holes . . . go to grab the last bag of anchor bolts . . .
I've got only 1 left . . . thought I had another bag of 10 in there . . . NOPE . . .
pour the concrete, rush to Lowes ( again ) and find the "last" bag of 10 anchor bolts hidden in the back of a bin . . . . WHEW !
Get back, and the concrete is firm, but the bolts set nicely . . . crisis averted . . .

sm_shop148.jpg

Guess what this means . . . now . . .

sm_shop149.jpg

ALL of the block work is now done . . . and the framing can start . . . YAY ! ! !

sm_shop150.jpg

Go back out in a few and double check the bolts and make sure that they didn't shift on me . . .

then . . . framing can comence . . .

more later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back