• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

One Solid week of rain here - slowing down my progress . . . but still trying to move forward . . .

Had an entire week of rain, and the plastic on the shop held up very well and did good keeping it dry.
Had to fight with a couple areas leaking, but they were on the other lean-to and not a big deal
( not a big deal because it had concrete under it and not much that it could damage . . . )

This was actually done during a light rain, as I was under cover and could get the work done . . .
Added the needed blocking above the walls for the upstairs . . . ( ooops, missed one . . . duh ! )

sm_shop1236.jpg

This was quite disconcerting . . . after weeks of trying to keep plastic covering the building, started to remove it . . .
Time to start adding purlins and "hopefully" get some metal roofing installed this weekend . . .

sm_shop1237.jpg

Had this section for the overhang that was missing the rafter extensions . . . and needed to get it corrected . . .

sm_shop1238.jpg

There . . . much better . . . time to continue with the addition of the purlins . . .

sm_shop1239.jpg

Still feels "odd" removing this plastic . . . but that's the only way to make this work . . .

sm_shop1240.jpg

Got a couple days in a row with no rain in the forecast and temps no too bad . . . so the plan is to try and get
some of the metal roofing in place this weekend . . .

Hopefully . . . things go well this weekend . . .

More Later . . .

It's amazing amount of pre-work required to get the work done . . .sheeesh ! ! !

Wow . . . thought that most of this roof could get done this weekend . . . but . . .
All of the stuff that needs to get done before the metal can go up is staggering . . .
- all of the plastic need to be removed ( did it a section at a time . . . ugh ! )
- all of the purlins need to get installed - assure 16" on center for the rafters . . .
- blocking needs to be filled in between the purlins on the front ( and back ) walls . . .
- get the radiant barrier set in place . . .
- then . . . the metal can go up ! ! !

And all this while climbing up and down ladders and balancing on purlins and joists . . .
( doesn't get much "funner" that that . . . )

Getting a section of the purlins in place . . .

sm_shop1241.jpg

Getting the radiant barrier set in place and secured . . .

sm_shop1242.jpg

The first piece of metal is the hardest part . . . getting it right is so important to having it all line up straight . . .

sm_shop1243.jpg

Then they go up a bit faster . . . until you run out of installed purlins to attach them to . . . and have to add more . . .

sm_shop1244.jpg

The end of the weekend . . . got 8 of 18 panels installed ( the last 2 will not be able to be done yet )
so . . . we're just about the half way point now . . .

sm_shop1245.jpg

Like I needed another project to work on and tinker with . . .

Been wanting to check out solar for quite a while . . . Finally pulled the trigger . . .

Found a solar setup for sale on CL and finally got this to allow me to tinker and figure this thing out . . .
- was told both batteries were fully charged ( wrong )
- one battery would not give a reading
- one battery would only show 11.6 volts ( this is NOT good )
- was told it's fully functional ( wrong )

Got it all set up and starting diving into it . . .

sm_shop1246.jpg

The battery that would not show any charge . . . hooked it up to a smart trickle charger for 3 days . . .
and . . . the battery came back and registered 13 volts . . . ( call that a "win" . . . )

sm_shop1247.jpg

So then what I did next was pretty interesting . . .

Hooked the "good" 13 volt battery up to the panels and it was holding at 13 volts . . .
- then plugged the smart trickle charger into the inverter that was tied to the good battery . . .
- charging the "questionable" battery with the smart charger using the solar collected energy ! ! !

While this was going on the good battery was holding a 12.5 volt charge while charging the other battery

sm_shop1248.jpg

Later in the day I shut down the trickle charger, and the battery charged back to 12.7 volts . . .
- guess I needed to shut it off a little bit sooner - but the sun tomorrow should get it back to 13 volts ( I hope )

sm_shop1249.jpg

Rough weekend for the inspector . . . wore him OUT ! ! !

sm_shop1250.jpg

He had a load of fun running around the property . . .

Another forecast with rain Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday . . . UGH ! ! !

More Later . . .

It's amazing amount of pre-work required to get the work done . . .sheeesh ! ! !

Wow . . . thought that most of this roof could get done this weekend . . . but . . .
All of the stuff that needs to get done before the metal can go up is staggering . . .
- all of the plastic need to be removed ( did it a section at a time . . . ugh ! )
- all of the purlins need to get installed - assure 16" on center for the rafters . . .
- blocking needs to be filled in between the purlins on the front ( and back ) walls . . .
- get the radiant barrier set in place . . .
- then . . . the metal can go up ! ! !

And all this while climbing up and down ladders and balancing on purlins and joists . . .
( doesn't get much "funner" that that . . . )

Getting a section of the purlins in place . . .

View attachment 1603942

Getting the radiant barrier set in place and secured . . .

View attachment 1603924

The first piece of metal is the hardest part . . . getting it right is so important to having it all line up tight . . .

View attachment 1603925

Then they go up a bit faster . . . until you run out of installed purlins to attach them to . . . and have to add more . . .

View attachment 1603929

The end of the weekend . . . got 8 of 18 panels installed ( the last 2 will not be able to be done yet )
so . . . we're just about the half way point now . . .

View attachment 1603930

Like I needed another project to work on and tinker with . . .

Been wanting to check out solar for quite a while . . . Finally pulled the trigger . . .

Found a solar setup for sale on CL and finally got this to allow me to tinker and figure this thing out . . .
- was told both batteries were fully charged ( wrong )
- one battery would not give a reading
- one battery would only show 11.6 volts ( this is NOT good )
- was told it's fully functional ( wrong )

Got it all set up and starting diving into it . . .

View attachment 1603931

The battery that would not show any charge . . . hooked it up to a smart trickle charger for 3 days . . .
and . . . the battery came back and registered 13 volts . . . ( call that a "win" . . . )

View attachment 1603932

So then what I did next was pretty interesting . . .

Hooked the "good" 13 volt battery up to the panels and it was holding at 13 volts . . .
- then plugged the smart trickle charger into the inverter that was tied to the good battery . . .
- charging the "questionable" battery with the smart charger using the solar collected energy ! ! !

While this was going on the good battery was holding a 12.5 volt charge while charging the other battery

View attachment 1603933

Later in the day I shut down the trickle charger, and the battery charged back to 12.7 volts . . .
- guess I needed to shut it off a little bit sooner - but the sun tomorrow should get it back to 13 volts ( I hope )

View attachment 1603947

Rough weekend for the inspector . . . wore him OUT ! ! !

View attachment 1603941

He had a load of fun running around the property . . .

Another forecast with rain Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday . . . UGH ! ! !

More Later . . .
Looking great so far. I'm picking up tips for my project as I read along on yours

Alright . . . Thanks for checking . . . I'm back . . . kinda . . . ( been a bad 2 weeks )

Whew . . . SO nice to have people that wonder and ask about you . . . been a bad 2 weeks.
Got a head cold, that went to a nasty sinus infection . . . Urgent Care prescribed sub par antibiotics.
Needless to say, my Primary Care PA was NOT HAPPY - after 10 days, I'm back on another 10 days !

UGH ! ! !

2 weeks ago I got to this point . . . and have been unable to post . . . so time to get caught up . . .
Got started working on the other side metal roofing . . . peeling off the plastic I work so hard to keep ON !

sm_shop1251.jpg

That night, was able to get 12' of radiant barrier and 12' of metal roofing panels installed . . . yup, it's dark !

sm_shop1252.jpg

OSHA approved . . . had to fix up some plastic that did not want to stay put . . . but the 12' ladder didn't reach
So . . . bring in the big guns . . . ( ok a little lift ) . . . and I was able to get the job done . . .

sm_shop1253.jpg

Don't think I've ever got nor shared a picture like this . . . so it was time to share it . . .

sm_shop1254.jpg

Last weekend, while still getting "better" and not being able to work on the shop for 2 weeks, was going CRAZY !
So, busted out the mixer, mixed up some masonry cement an got started on this rear wall . . . it needs to get done.

sm_shop1255.jpg

Then, this past Monday, come home to work to find this . . . 1/4 of the building plastic was blown off . . . ARGH !

sm_shop1256.jpg

Then this morning, after the rain finally cleared out . . . guess what . . . was taking all the stuff that was blown off
and reinstalled - back off the roof to get started on it . . . ( GO FIGURE )

sm_shop1257.jpg

Getting the first 12' section of radiant barrier up and in place . . . after removing the plastic . . .
Oh . . . and getting the transitions in place too . . . ( can't forget that step )

sm_shop1258.jpg

Fill in that 12' of radiant barrier with 12' of metal roofing . . . rinse and repeat . . . .

sm_shop1259.jpg

The next 12' section of radiant barrier is now in place . . . for tomorrow . . . That'll be another day . . .
First day in 2 weeks I even felt like working, and still not 100% . . . so it wore my arse out . . . but feels good !

sm_shop1260.jpg

On top of that . . . been working on my computer for that past 2 days . . . the SSD Hard Drive that I had for my C-drive
( the one that the computer boots from ) decided to bite the bullet . . . and THAT does NOT happen very often !

So right now, I've got a "temporary" SATA drive in the C-drive slot so I can make this update . . . tomorrow, it will
be replaced with another SSD Hard drive . . . and it'll be back to "normal" . . . and fully functional !

Still got 2-3 days of antibiotics to run through . . . but finally feeling like I'm not drowning . . .

More Later . . .

Feeling better- trying to keep progress moving - and fighting with rain ( as always )

Finally starting to feel better and get BACK into working on the shop - slowly . . . getting there . . .
2 weeks being sick sucks - Sure did not need it now.

Where this was left off, needed to get the next 12' of metal roofing installed on this side of the shop . . . Done.

sm_shop1261.jpg

Finally got around to making the LAST truss that is needed for the upstairs - because I messed up and was short.

sm_shop1262.jpg

Getting the truss upstairs . . . not that difficult . . . just climb it up the ladder . . .

sm_shop1263.jpg

So I'm checking on the inspector . . . and he's plumb wore out already and relaxing . . . LOL

sm_shop1264.jpg

Got a bit of a mess upstairs, and it really needed a bit of cleanup . . . so that got taken care of.

sm_shop1265.jpg

You think Obie is smart . . . he's actually very smart ! Well this lizard was upstairs in the shop . . . why . . .
Because Obie can't get up here and find him ! ! !

sm_shop1266.jpg

Trying to build up my stamina and get back into the swing of things . . . and with rain the next day, did NOT want
to pull plastic off and have to put it back on . . . so I decided to tackle the end wall . . . all but the last 1/2 sheet
is now done . . . but the yellow is so ugly . . .

sm_shop1267.jpg

There you go . . . so much better . . .

sm_shop1268.jpg

With the rain slated for all day, not much going to get done outside on the shop . . . so what about inside out of
the rain ? ? ? You can see in this picture that I'm working on priming all the studs ( some have mold, and this will
encapsulate the mold and protect the wood too ) And getting the hurricane brackets on the lower side of the walls.
You can see how ugly the weather is that I dealt with all day - nice to be inside and dry !

sm_shop1269.jpg

Had my youngest daughter show up today and help with the staining while I was installing Hurricane brackets.
Made some good progress from my initial start . . . and both of our efforts got us to the 2/3 done region ! !
Boy - does that look really nice ! ! ! ( just saw 1 top board was missed - need to fix that )

sm_shop1270.jpg

No rain in the forecast for tomorrow . . . or for a couple days, plus daylight saving time starts, so I'll have an
extra hour of daylight to get some stuff done . . . not sure what's on the schedule for tomorrow yet, but will be
getting something done . . .

More Later . . .

Accomplished on Sunday and so far this week . . . and plans for the rest of the week . . .

Got some stuff done on Sunday, but the weather was still quite cool . . . Here's the update . . .

First of all - the priming of the wall . . . got most of it done, the not done ones need some work on the walls.
The edges of the concrete board is right at the edge of the studs ( bad layout on guess who's part ) . . .
Everything can be fixed . . . just takes a little longer this way . . . ( sigh )
The end block wall needs some block added to it . . . yet . . .

sm_shop1271.jpg

Perfect day to work on that and get it completed . . . and filled with concrete - of course I was short ! ! !
Had to get 2 more 80# bags to get it completed . . . on Monday . . .

sm_shop1272.jpg

Here I thought he was hunting lizards . . . he caught this big ole mouse and was "playing" with it . . .

sm_shop1273.jpg

Installation of the hurricane brackets on the top side of this lean-to is getting done . . .

sm_shop1274.jpg

Got the rest of the wall completed and the missing holes filled with concrete ( and anchor bolts if needed )

sm_shop1275.jpg

Like to periodically check how this thing is doing as far as level . . . guess I can't complain too much . . .

sm_shop1276.jpg

Get the pressure treated sill plate installed on the wall and temporarily bolted in place to capture the foam . . .

sm_shop1277.jpg

New recent purchase of the shop . . . a stomp shear - been looking for one of these and stumbled on this one
Believe it or not - it was only 10 minutes from my house right here in Concord ! ! ! Can't beat that ! ! !

sm_shop1278.jpg

And also this bender . . . guy was retiring and selling his equipment, but this can only bend to 1 1/4 . . .
But it can bend bar and straps . . . could still be very useful in the shop . . . time will tell . . .
The machine is stout, build like a brick sh*t house, and heavy . . . looking forward to learning what it can do !

sm_shop1279.jpg

Added a 12V LED light into the "moved" shop . . . and was amazed at how well just 1 light worked in the shop
Got 8 of these to put in here . . . might not need them all . . . but I've got them just in case . . . work great ! !

sm_shop1280.jpg

That does it for where the project currently stands . . . so now what is in store for the rest of the week . . .

Of course, forecast is for RAIN on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ( the days that I can work on the shop . . . sheesh)
SO . . . I'm taking the next (2) days off, the temps will be in the 70's, and I think even 80 on Thursday . . . so that
I can work on getting some metal roofing installed on the top roof of the shop . . . will NOT cover up the open shop
until Thursday night or maybe Friday morning . . . depending on the weather and how far I get . . .

HOPE is that I might be able to get at least 1/2 of this roof completed and protected from the rain coming this weekend !

Should be a very busy and interesting 2 days . . . maybe 3 . . . rain is for Friday night . . . keeping an eye on it.

More Later . . .

Man that bender is robust ! Is that a DiAcro brand ? Any tags on it ? I remember something like that made right here in Cleveland Oh. back in the day ! Nice score and great looking shop !

Wellness check on Larry

Posts often and I follow this thread intently...

Wow . . . sure was nice to see that people are following and concerned on my health . . . that's awesome !

Get well soon!

Thanks 5.7 Hemi . . . I'm doing just that and right in the middle of a "big" push . . . let's see how I do . . .

Glad you're feeling better - love to follow this thread

So cool that you're following the thread . . . nice to know that people are interested in this build . . .

Man that bender is robust ! Is that a DiAcro brand ? Any tags on it ? I remember something like that made right here in Cleveland Oh. back in the day ! Nice score and great looking shop !

Yes it is a DiAcro bender . . . problem is that it'll only bend ( so they say ) up to 1 1/4 tube . . .
Anything for a car - Jeep would probably be 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 . . . but it should help in other areas too.

There’s probably a half dozen people on here that would be helping you on your building if you lived closer. Me included. Good luck, stay healthy. I lost a couple of weeks last summer on a remodel project due to a ruptured disc problem. Really sucks, you try to make up for lost time, HA!

Yes, the DiAcro bender is not really for tubing like for roll cage but for everything else ! That is a great piece of tooling, where did you get it ? They also made a punch & die that looks similar that we had at work.

Big push before the rain - as always, a load of prep work needs to get done first . . .

As always, the amount of prep-work that needs to get done first is always amazing . . . here we go . . .

Really odd . . . to be removing the plastic cover from the shop that I fought so hard to keep it on and dry !
But . . . it's a necessary evil to get to the next part . . .

sm_shop1281.jpg

Have to share this with you - it's been up for a while ( had a leak between 2 sheets that I could not fix )
So my alternative was . . . to build a plastic "catch basin" that was then drained into a "trough" . . .
The trough was set up to be angled downhill and make the water exit the front of the shop - removing it . . .

sm_shop1282.jpg

The next REALLY big obstacle was that all of the materials for the roof - were ( guess where ) - downstairs ! !
That would have been NO FUN having to climb up the ladder for each panel ( like I've done in the past )
BUT . . . this is the first time working on the upstairs . . . so this had to be remedied . . .

sm_shop1283.jpg

The 1x6 poplar boards were not too big of a deal . . . got them up to the upstairs pretty quickly . . .

sm_shop1284.jpg

The metal panels were a complete other story . . . but they were gotten upstairs - FINALLY !
This will make the job go a whole lot faster and hopefully save my knees a bit more too !

sm_shop1285.jpg

Next on the agenda, was getting all of the purlins in place . . . well . . . not all of them . . . had to do guesswork
Remove "enough" plastic to get the purlins down, but not too much that would be out of reach . . .
But with 16' boards - it meant having to remove a whole bunch of the plastic anyways . . . but not ALL of it.

sm_shop1286.jpg

As the purlins are installed, it was a pretty cool picture to see it finally moving toward getting a roof ! ! !
But then I noticed that the fronts of the top boards, added after the first stain, were not done ! ! ! Argh ! ! !

sm_shop1287.jpg

That was a really easy fix . . . and got that knocked out pretty quickly . . .

sm_shop1288.jpg

This is the radar for Friday . . . Concord is right in the middle of the big yellow dot to the left of the N.C. on the map
( sucks having to cover it all back up - but 3 days of rain . . . didn't want the flooring getting all that water )

sm_shop1289.jpg

Passing the radiant barrier and the metal panel up to the top side were dine similar to the walls - but through the roof

sm_shop1290.jpg

So now is the BIG question . . . How far did I get in this project . . . Guesses ! ! !

seems like every time I thought I was making good time, I hit a little snag . . .
- needed another 10' section of transition installed
- the next panel could not go in because more purlins were needed to be installed ( they were staggered for strength )
- plastic was in the way for the next 16' purlin . . . it needed to be moved . . .

This was the Wednesday work ( or pre-work ) how far did the roofing install get on Thursday - before covering it up again

More Later . . .

Weathermen . . . How can they still have a job . . . is beyond me . . .

WOW . . . the forecast for rain Friday, Saturday, and Sunday . . . has now been changed . . .
To only rain on Friday . . . REALLY . . . Good news, more time to work on the roof ! ! !

So Thursdays efforts were not pre-work, but actually getting some roof panels up on the building . . .
( and some more pre-work to boot ) . . . This is the first panel going up on one side of the building . . .
Whoooohooo ! ! ! !

sm_shop1291.jpg

A view from the top with the first (2) panels in place . . .
Note the green metal in the lower right, to the right of the wood purlin . . . that is a transition . . .

sm_shop1292.jpg

This appears to be the bottom side view of the shop with probably 3-4 panels in place . . .

sm_shop1293.jpg

Time to move the focus to the other side of the building and attempt to get some of them installed too . . .

sm_shop1294.jpg

Near the end of the day . . . had 6 panels on the first side that was started . . . With 18 total, that's 1/3 of the way . . .
Got as far as possible with the purlins that were in place, and the transitions that were installed . . .
Pretty happy with the 1/3 progress - although I was actually hoping for 1/2 way . . .

sm_shop1295.jpg

The second side was falling a bit behind in the panel installation . . . at the end of the day it only had 3 panels . . .

sm_shop1296.jpg

With the 3 panels in place, it was "close" enough to add the ridge-cap - and it was needed to keep rain out ! ! !
It currently has only 4 screws in it because all of the closures still need to be installed for the ridge cap . . .

Then a BIG problem was discovered . . . Did not have enough closures to get this project done ! ! Had I not seen
this, would not have been able to get any more roofing done - so a trip to the metal roofing place to get MORE ! ! !

Took a big gamble . . . the rain was not supposed to start until 11 - 12 . . . so part of the roof was left uncovered . . .

sm_shop1297.jpg

Got up Friday morning and got the other (3) panels installed so that BOTH sides were now at 6 panels ! ! !
Got the last of the panels up, got the remainder of the top all sealed - and shortly after the rain started . . .
It came down pretty good and steady for most of the day - that's when I went to the metal roof place . . .
( and after the re-cover had a little bit of tweaking for several tiny leaks . . . but it was really very sound )

sm_shop1298.jpg

Both sides - upstairs are now 1/3 completed . . . and the top is covered for the rain . . . Bring it on ! ! !

sm_shop1299.jpg

Since the weather for the weekend has now changed . . . ( for the better for me ) . . . got 2 more days of work ! !

Of course . . . that means pulling all the plastic ( that was just reinstalled ) back off the roof again . . . ARGH ! ! !

More Later . . .

Weathermen . . . How can they still have a job . . . is beyond me . . .

WOW . . . the forecast for rain Friday, Saturday, and Sunday . . . has now been changed . . .
To only rain on Friday . . . REALLY . . . Good news, more time to work on the roof ! ! !

So Thursdays efforts were not pre-work, but actually getting some roof panels up on the building . . .
( and some more pre-work to boot ) . . . This is the first panel going up on one side of the building . . .
Whoooohooo ! ! ! !

View attachment 1629301

A view from the top with the first (2) panels in place . . .
Note the green metal in the lower right, to the right of the wood purlin . . . that is a transition . . .

View attachment 1629302

This appears to be the bottom side view of the shop with probably 3-4 panels in place . . .

View attachment 1629303

Time to move the focus to the other side of the building and attempt to get some of them installed too . . .

View attachment 1629304

Near the end of the day . . . had 6 panels on the first side that was started . . . With 18 total, that's 1/3 of the way . . .
Got as far as possible with the purlins that were in place, and the transitions that were installed . . .
Pretty happy with the 1/3 progress - although I was actually hoping for 1/2 way . . .

View attachment 1629305

The second side was falling a bit behind in the panel installation . . . at the end of the day it only had 3 panels . . .

View attachment 1629306

With the 3 panels in place, it was "close" enough to add the ridge-cap - and it was needed to keep rain out ! ! !
It currently has only 4 screws in it because all of the closures still need to be installed for the ridge cap . . .

Then a BIG problem was discovered . . . Did not have enough closures to get this project done ! ! Had I not seen
this, would not have been able to get any more roofing done - so a trip to the metal roofing place to get MORE ! ! !

Took a big gamble . . . the rain was not supposed to start until 11 - 12 . . . so part of the roof was left uncovered . . .

View attachment 1629307

Got up Friday morning and got the other (3) panels installed so that BOTH sides were now at 6 panels ! ! !
Got the last of the panels up, got the remainder of the top all sealed - and shortly after the rain started . . .
It came down pretty good and steady for most of the day - that's when I went to the metal roof place . . .
( and after the re-cover had a little bit of tweaking for several tiny leaks . . . but it was really very sound )

View attachment 1629308

Both sides - upstairs are now 1/3 completed . . . and the top is covered for the rain . . . Bring it on ! ! !

View attachment 1629309

Since the weather for the weekend has now changed . . . ( for the better for me ) . . . got 2 more days of work ! !

Of course . . . that means pulling all the plastic ( that was just reinstalled ) back off the roof again . . . ARGH ! ! !

More Later . . .
You knew there would be leaks!!!! Just the way it always happens. Jeff

No rain in the forecast for Saturday and Sunday . . . Rigggggght . . . . Sheeeesh . . .

Luckily, the rain for the whole weekend changed to only rain on Friday . . .

Which gives me (2) more days of work on the shop ! ! ! Here's the results . . .

Not too sure whos most excited about the new shop, me or the geckos . . . this little guy has found his way to the TOP !

sm_shop1300.jpg

Wanted to be able to work on both top parts of the shop - which means this side needed another transition . . .
Here's what needed to be done to allow me to get to adding that transition on the top section . . .

sm_shop1301.jpg

First - you may not believe this . . . but follow along with me on this process . . .
Needed to add another section of board to the double top beam - so that I could get the "last" truss installed
- got this picture after adding the double 2x6 and getting the last truss installed . . .

Side note - as I got started on this . . . is started to rain, and I had to race to get things covered up. It rained for
about 2-3 hours and then cleared up . . . no rain for Saturday and Sunday . . . ARGH ! ! !
Messed up my WHOLE Sunday morning progress on this roofing . . . back to your original story now . . .

sm_shop1302.jpg

So after that got done - the last truss got installed . . . why was this needed . . .
Because it had to have purlins added to it to add the bottom transition . . . so the side panels could be installed . . .
Keep following along . . . this has not gotten sidetracked yet . . .

sm_shop1303.jpg

Now that the truss is in place, the remainder of the purlins can now be added to the side of the building . . .

sm_shop1304.jpg

After that - adding the radiant barrier, and the bottom transition - so that the side panels could be added . . .

sm_shop1305.jpg

Finally, got all of the side panels ( that could be added ) installed on the building . . .

sm_shop1306.jpg

That's a whole lot more roofing that just got completed . . . and guess what . . . \

NOW I can add the top transition so that the top panels can be added . . . told you it didn't get sidetracked . . .

sm_shop1307.jpg

Got some additional roof panels on the other side of the building - and it now only has about 12' left needing panels . . .

sm_shop1308.jpg

Got a new visitor on the property . . . this is an Eastern Box Turtle . . . and yes he is that bright orange ! ! !
He's been hanging out around the shop now for a couple days . . . pretty cool ! ! !

sm_shop1309.jpg

So how did the progress fair for this whole weekend . . .
- one side has almost 40' done
- the other side has about 30' done
- the last roof truss is now in place
- the side of the building got more completed - too

All in all - even fighting with the rain - it was a pretty successful weekend . . . I'm wore slam out . . .

More Later . . .

Yer gittin it done Larry! What are you using to seal between the transitions and your roof panels?

Project Mad Scientist - Roofing status . . . and dealing with the rain . . . Oh boy ! ! !

This was a pretty good week as far as progress goes . . . sure can't complain . . .

Once again . . . removing the plastic was not easy as there was always a possibility of more rain in the next day or two

But, it's the only way to get to the end goal . . . here the end of the shop is mostly stripped . . .
- 4 bays on the left - 8 bays on the right - remaining . . .

sm_shop1310.jpg

At the end of my effort . . . there is only 1 bay left on the left - plus it's overhang . . .

sm_shop1311.jpg

And only 2 bays left on the right - plus it's overhang - finished up 2 sheets Friday morning before the rain hit.
And the top ridge cap was not put in place - but covered with strips of tarps to keep the rain out ( kinda )

sm_shop1312.jpg

During the rain, the primer was pulled out and the process of priming the trusses has begun - to protect the wood.

sm_shop1313.jpg

Today was the first day ( in a very long time ) where I did not climb up in the loft and work on roofing
Every panel that can be put in place is now in place - got to get the back wall done now to get it all completed.

So - time to start on the back wall . . . ( feel s so odd not working on roofing ) . . .

sm_shop1314.jpg

By the end of the day . . . look at the sky outside . . . got the wall lifted into place and bolted down . . .
Got the tarp on the outside put back in place to help with the winds . . . wasn't sure I could get this far
But . . . it's now in place and I've got some work to get this and the overhang above it finished up . . .
Then . . . back on the roof - pull the last 2 metal panels - finish up the trim stuff - and put the panels back in place.

sm_shop1315.jpg

@PRND21 - you asked about what was being used to seal between the transitions and roof panels . . .
The roofing company sells these "closures" to put in the gaps and keep the critters out . . .
These are the "vented" form . . . but they also sell non-vented and they are cheaper . . .

sm_shop1316.jpg

They are stuck in place on the roof panels before you put the transitions in place - about 1" back from the edge
- Hope that answers your question ( they also have them for the small holes too )

sm_shop1317.jpg

Got the roofing all done Friday morning - and the remainder of the roof sealed with plastic . . . again . . .
The ridge vent is covered with strips of tarp to try and keep the water out . . .

The way it was placed up there, it allowed for the tarps to allow the water to pool in the tarp - and leak
( depending on how bad the tarp was in that location ) Had the floor covered with plastic and it helped hold the water.

Had (3) spots where it happened . . . from the bottom pushed up on the pool area and drained the water.
Then stuck a piece of wood on the ridge beam pushing up on the tarp to make it higher in the center - no more pools.

Next step - finish the end wall, the overhang above it, and get this part of the roof DONE.

Got a cool little "trip" planned for tomorrow . . . checking out something . . .

More Later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back