• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Been working on this for a couple days . . .

Thought it would be done and down by now . . .
Got this big old cedar that in the way and need to come down . . . started on it on Saturday . . .
Of course, it decided to rain all day on Sunday . . .
Today after work . . . work continued . . .

Tied a strap up near the top of the tree, and pulling the tree the direction I need it to go . . .
Letting the weight of the tree "assist" me with the root removal . . .
The cracks in the ground are indications of the movement . . .

sm_shop351.jpg

They're getting bigger and longer . . .

sm_shop352.jpg

You can see the gap in the root that was cut - even got a 2x4 in there . . . just in case . . .

sm_shop353.jpg

Getting quite a bit of lean to the tree . . . going pretty well . . .

sm_shop354.jpg

As I ran out of daylight . . . it was leaning even further . . .
even heard popping under ground from the roots snapping . . . thought it would be be down already . . .
it's GOT to be close . . .

sm_shop355.jpg

Look at the movement that I've got here . . .

sm_shop356.jpg

Well sports fans . . .

it a night under the lights for this one ! ! !

Really think this thing is ready to drop already . . . so . . . thought I'd give it another shot . . .

sm_shop357.jpg

No such luck . . . gave up on it for tonight . . . tomorrow is another day . . .
Maybe "gravity" will be my friend and I'll wake up to this thing being on the ground . . . probably not . . .

More later

Well . . . she's down now . . .

Took a bit more than I expected . . . but the cedar is now down on the ground . . .
Was a bit worried leaving it leaning like it was all night . . .

When I got home form work, it looked like gravity helped a bit . . . but not completely . . . Dang it ! !

sm_shop358.jpg

after a couple more pulls . . . I was wondering what was holding it . . .

sm_shop359.jpg

Even the hole under the tree was huge . . . what was holding it in place . . . beats me . . .

sm_shop360.jpg

not even 5 minutes after the last picture . . . it came down . . . what's funny is . . .
Was videoing the tree - but had to do another re-grip . . . and 5 minutes later it was down . . .
Ad I didn't restart the video . . . ARGH ! ! !

sm_shop361.jpg

Just an FYI . . . this is what was used to get in down on the ground . . . cut the roots and pull with a come-a-long
( that I've owned for years . . . needs some repairs now . . . too . . . )

sm_shop362.jpg

Glad to have it on the ground, now to get it cleaned up . . . thinking of maybe planking out this tree . . . it's BIG

This weekends will be moving stuff to the new shop and "maybe" disassembly of the old shop and moving it . . .

More later . . .

Finally had the opportunity to stop by Larry's place and check it out, what a beautiful plot and neighborhood! Garage progress is looking great along with the 67. Seeing his old shop in person put things into perspective, holy cow.. I don't know how he got anything done! Cramped doesn't even begin to describe it, basically you had access to 1 side and that's it! This new garage will be paradise!
So, let me get this right. Forgot about “the build”, so just went thru 2 months of it and I keep thinking “where’s Devon at”?
Got my answer, “after it’s done”; lol!! Great job,Larry; better man than me. Jeff

So, let me get this right. Forgot about “the build”, so just went thru 2 months of it and I keep thinking “where’s Devon at”?
Got my answer, “after it’s done”; lol!! Great job,Larry; better man than me. Jeff
I know, pretty pathetic huh? I would have loved to have come down and helped out but 4 kids, 2 in sports and a wife that works makes escaping pretty tough. I managed to sneak off this time but only because I took the kids with me.

Still at it . . . Just been busy . . .

Been getting stuff done, just not enough time to get these pics posted . . .

So - here's what' been happening . . . This was the power panel in the old shop . . .

sm_shop363.jpg

Got it pulled back through the wall . . .

sm_shop364.jpg

Down to the bare panel . . . this is in the old shop . . .

sm_shop365.jpg

Got it moved all over to the new shop, got it temporarily wired for now . . .
And got power in the NEW shop now . . . until I get the rest built and my real panel in place . . .

sm_shop366.jpg

Now to figure out what I'm going to do with the old shop and where I want to move it.

Of course, Spring is here . . . so plenty of Spring Cleaning tasks are in line for taking up my time - too . . .

More Later . . . .

I know, pretty pathetic huh? I would have loved to have come down and helped out but 4 kids, 2 in sports and a wife that works makes escaping pretty tough. I managed to sneak off this time but only because I took the kids with me.

Had a great visit with Devin when he passed through . . . and was happy that he had a chance to stop by and see my place ( and my small shop ) . . . as he said, it puts it ALL into perspective . . .

I'm having an absolute blast building this thing on my own . . . it's a bucket list item that I've had for a long time, and I'm making it a reality now . . .

Last edited:
Cedar tree clean-up . . . and a let down . . .

Got to cleaning up the cedar tree, as stated, was hoping to get it planked out . . .

But after getting it cleaned up, and cut into (3) 10' lengths . . . this is the result . . .
( and I thought Cedar was supposed to be bug resistent)

sm_shop367.jpg

This is the cut 10' up the tree . . . still bugs ( carpenter ants )

sm_shop368.jpg

Not too sure if this is going to end up to be fire wood yet . . .

More Later . . .

Outdoor fire pit?

I wouldn't be keen on dragging any of those ants inside the house.

NEVER . . . wood only comes in the house, and goes directly into the fireplace . . . usually hot and burning too . . .

Wow I just read through this thread and am amazed that you did all of this by yourself. Except for the pouring which was a smart move to farm that out to professionals. I had a friend that poured his own driveway and it was junk within 2 years. He had to have the whole thing redone.

Good week . . . good day . . . great progress . . .

Well, trying to stay on this project and make some headway . . . and it's working . . .

Got these to install with the roof . . . after the roof was installed . . . UGH !
But . . . I've got an idea . . .

sm_shop369.jpg

Besides, the wasps and dirt daubers are terrible in these parts . . . so I need to close up some openings . . .
Cutting them into the parts that I can install . . . to seal up the openings . . .

sm_shop370.jpg

I can only imagine what would be built in these area if they aren't closed up . . .

sm_shop371.jpg

Get one of them installed from the outside edge . . .

sm_shop372.jpg

And . . . the roof has 1 x 6 purlins . . . so . . .

sm_shop373.jpg

Installing another on on the back side as well . . .

sm_shop374.jpg

Finally made my decision on where to relocate the old shop (finally) . . . and got all the brush cleaned up . . .

sm_shop375.jpg

The stakes mark the hopeful location of the shop when relocated . . .and started on the footers . . .

sm_shop376.jpg

Working on the front footer first . . .

sm_shop377.jpg

Getting the planks in place to hold the concrete . . . it's been a long and tiring day . . . but great progress . . .

sm_shop378.jpg

Tomorrow . . .

Make the rebar cage that will go into this footer . . . get some 80 pound bags of concrete . . . and get started . . .
Should have this one about wrapped up tomorrow . . . then onto one of the sides . . .

More later . . .

One more pic . . .

would only let me upload 10 . . . here's the last one . . . showing the perspective . . .

sm_shop379.jpg

Tomorrow will be a busy day . . .

More later . . .

You'd best add some caulking to those roof panel fillers, as when they start to deteriorate and shrink they'll blow out. Even when they're installed as they're supposed to be, in one piece, this happens.

One done . . . ( mostly ) . . . and only three to go . . .

So, time for the footings . . . so guess what's on the list of things that are needed . . .

sm_shop380.jpg

Work in progress on getting the concrete in the forms . . .

sm_shop381.jpg

Just the ends are in need of being filled to tie them into the sides . . .

sm_shop382.jpg

Where the "old shop" will be relocated in relation to the new shop . . . the back of the property . . . .

sm_shop383.jpg

Need to get this done to move the old shop, and get started on building the middle section of my new shop . . .

More later . . .

Getting ready for the next round of concrete . . .

Worked on setting up the forms for the corner, and down one of the sides.

After looking at the topography of the land, decided that dropping it one block in height would help out.
So I got to building the corner . . . and building in the drop . . .

sm_shop384.jpg

Wore my old buddy out yesterday, so he's resting but ready to do his inspection when the time comes . . .

sm_shop385.jpg

Got the forms in place to the corner and up the side . . . almost to the back corner . . .
and I do the same process all over again . . . wash . . . rinse . . . repeat . . .

sm_shop386.jpg

From the other side view . . . things are moving along nicely . . .

sm_shop387.jpg

Got the rebar bent up today to tie into the front cage . . . and build the side cage . . .

sm_shop388.jpg

This was a whole lotta fun . . . but It's done and now it's ready for concrete . . .

sm_shop389.jpg

and the cage down the side . . . in the form trough . . . Maybe . . . concrete tomorrow . . .

sm_shop390.jpg

over to the corner . . . dropping down one block in height . . . and back down the side . . .

sm_shop391.jpg

Glad that it's ready . . . and maybe . . . concrete will be poured tomorrow . . . think rain is in the schedule for Wednesday.

Will keep chipping away at this thing . . .

More later . . .

Turning the corner on this footer pour . . .

Bought a pallet of concrete 80 pound bags - that's 42 bags.
Used 34 on the front section, and was hoping that the remaining 8 would get me around the corner . . .

And . . . luckily . . . it did . . .

sm_shop392.jpg

And it was stepped to allow pouring and blending it into the rest of the side footer . . .

sm_shop393.jpg

Pretty happy with the results and the progress . . . .

sm_shop394.jpg

Time to get another pallet of concrete . . . and work on getting the side completed . . .

More later . . .

Corner completed . . .

Got the corner completed and it's looking great . . . one step atta time . . .

Got some more work to get these footers in place . . . then move the shop . . .
But the footers are working out great . . . Happy with the progress . . . weekend should be productive . . .

sm_shop395.jpg

Nice . . .

sm_shop396.jpg

Got to make a trip up to see my daughter, and my granddaughters . . . they're moving and I need to help them get some house things done, more like completed, so that they can get their house on the market . . . They'll be moving from 3 hours away, to 8+ hours away . . . but it's great potential for them and I'm happy for them ! ! !

Here's shop the plan . . .

Hope to have the old shop dismantled and moved by the end of the month . . . (April, not March)

Setting a goal to strive for . . .

More later . . .

Nice work as usual Larry. :thumbsup:

In case you didn't know about this trick......a length of transparent garden hose partially filled with water makes a great level over long distances.......for checking "corner to corner". :)

Nice work as usual Larry. :thumbsup:

In case you didn't know about this trick......a length of transparent garden hose partially filled with water makes a great level over long distances.......for checking "corner to corner". :)
OR one of these:

DeWalt 1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back