• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding vacuum advance car for Chrysler Electronic Distributor

The hole you marked down is to pry up the pickup coil with an screwdriver for the gap adjustment. It will allow you to not loosening completelly the adjusting screw, but keep it a bit tight while adjusting the gap with the screwdriver into that hole.

Last edited:
you need to align the advance plate notch with the roll pin on housing ( now on yellow circles ).... yes definitelly the grommet was moved and needs to be slipped back to get more wiring into the distributor and allow the free play of the advance plate.

vacuum pickup.jpg

I can see is shorter than should be

on this pic you can see how long is the wiring between grommet and pickup coil, into the dist.

61p4kea2QAL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Ok - I think I have figured it out and it will hook up to the inner hole. It appears the prior owner of the car drilled a hole (circled in red) to lock down the vacuum advance plate movement.
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/EXQBzZEDTrSb8QSpBkSarg.h4DN4nAZloySqan28osoI6

ordPksyeSFKF79ifURnwPw

Until I removed that screw to free up the pickup plate the arm would not reach the hole and I couldn't get the arm between the the plates. With it removed it will go into the hole and position OK. It changes the position of where the advance plate rests with the vacuum advance installed versus where the prior owner had it locked down to, but I guess that will take care of itself with setting the timing. It sort of looks like now this thing can use either type of advance unit. So looks like Nacho RT74 had it right - I didn't think about that screw needing to be removed.

Thanks for the help.

Here is what I have. Used $45, Rebuilt new diaphram 87. You can see the difference between the arms here and a pile that will get rebuilt one day.
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00072.JPG
DSC00073.JPG
DSC00074.JPG

It appears either arm/vacuum can will work on this particular distributor after all. I assume the ones that connect to the inner hole do not stroke as long as the ones with an arm fitting the outer hole - otherwise it would pull in a lot more advance.

I was just going to post that. You might have to lift the reluctor up a bit on the advance cam to get the arm in that hole on the inside of the pickup.

Yes - that was one of the issues I was having with the additional screw the prior owner put in to lock the advance plate down when he removed the vacuum advance. Until I removed it I couldn’t even see that inner hole from the top.

Actually pretty common way to lock it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back