• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fires!

BLK 68 R/T

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
We have a pretty large fire burning currently in the mountains and grasslands not to far from me as the crow flies. Prayers to all those affected by the wildfires this summer.

As of yesterday it was 25,000 acres and spreading fast. Few pictures from my work today and one from my deck. Can smell the smoke in the air here now.
https://www.khq.com/fires/dry-gulch...cle_8cce0590-e02d-11eb-8bbf-1f5a0b98566e.html

FFB58DC5-A882-47E3-9798-2A9B009AD4A8.jpeg 0E7D47A5-28F1-425B-92F8-213384124088.jpeg 112FA408-6970-437F-9D4B-55EFE5BA1AB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Good news for you, your property looks completely defensible.... Sorry for anyone who's been effected... I love trees & my house is surrounded by them but if a forest fire were to get close my chainsaw would be working overtime...

I see on this mornings news a town in CA has flat run out of water. Serious conditions out West. I wish you well.
Mike

We can run, but, we can't hide. Be safe!!

yep always a concern this time of year

stay safe

one of my biggest fears living up here

it's a far better life, even still

then living in the inner-shitty's

yep always a concern this time of year

stay safe

one of my biggest fears living up here

it's a far better life, even still

then living in the inner-shitty's
Ain’t that the truth! No matter where you live though there is always a unique set of challenges that may or may not have to be dealt with.

We got hit with a fire in the fall of 07. Had to evacuate with an hours notice. The fun part is what do you take, what do you leave. You can't take it all. We grabbed important documents, computer, guns, some clothes, meds, pet food for 4 critters. My wife finished buttoning up the house after I left. Lucky for me Hwy 78 was still open at that time, it closed about an hour after I left. The only other way out was Hwy 67 which went to the west which is the route she took as she went to work[ 911 dispatcher for Cal Fire]. She was able to get back in a day or so later to see the damage by flashing her badge so I had a pretty good idea what it looked like up there. When I was able to get back a week later, I put the critters back in our house the went exploring. War zone. We lived in a Modular Home park, think high digit mobile's, that was on 80 acres. Our existing house was fine other than debris being blown in due to very high winds from the fire. I went up to the old Turkey barn that I used for my shop and where my 70 Challenger was stored and it was all toast. There were 54 other residences there that burned down. Many evacuated too but there were some who just happened to be out of town at that time. I was very bummed about losing my car and all the pieces/parts I'd acquired over 30 years at that time but I felt very lucky as we still had a house to live in unlike many of our neighbors. We had lived in the section that burned down about 18 months before when we traded our old one in for a new one that was in an open field, so it could have been worse for us. I kept dragging my feet on moving the car and stuff out of the barn down to the new house and garage. Had plenty of room for it but some of the "treasures" were going to re-homed into the dumpster on the way. Shoulda woulda coulda. Since then I don't hoard parts beyond what I truly need. Since then we are always mindful of the winds, especially the Santa Ana ones which come in from the east and have very little humidity.

Ain’t that the truth! No matter where you live though there is always a unique set of challenges that may or may not have to be dealt with.
edited;
I have a decent firebreak 20' min. between property lines
& gravel all around my house, asphalt & gavel up-to about 60' in some areas
still lots of trees beside me in an easement & open land behind me
that can go up fast & jump...

I did the best with what I have

I get a A+ rating from the local FD at the end of street

Sonora Back property #1.JPG

Sonora Blue Spruce tree.JPG

Sonora Back property #4 Car Port RV & Boat.JPG

Last edited:
It would be a good idea to increase your fire break to at least 100', from those low hanging trees and keep the low fuel minimized plus remove any fuel from around the house. One of the houses that went up was not under the trees but they had bark around the house for landscaping. Very bad idea. One of the problems where we were the park rarely kept up on fire damage reduction, they mostly concentrated on the appearance to the entrance and around the pool/rec/office area. When they did mow in the back areas, it was just a small strip by the perimeter paved road. A couple of times I asked the owner if I could do the mowing and was allowed. I hit all the back areas plus cleared a couple of rutted dirt roads that people like us could walk the dogs or just humans. Most of the houses that went up were under the Oak trees down through the center of the park, lots of debris for fuel. When we lived in that section we took it upon ourselves to get the trees on our lot trimmed and opened up. We were worried about limbs breaking and causing damage to our house. The one year we neglected not to do it, two big ones broke when we were away for the weekend. Punched holes in the garage and house roofs. We were very happy to get out of that section and into the new one which was in an open field. When we moved up here, a new company had bought the park. I've been back a couple of times to visit my friend who still lives there. The new company has done even less fire prevention maintenance than the previous owner in the back areas plus the open fields. Their only concern is getting the permitted areas of the park filled in with new units and getting revenue generated. I'm so glad we aren't there anymore. Pretty area but from start of summer till it rains, you have to be vigilant about the dry high winds and watch the sky plus keep an ear open to the news.

Up to 46,000 acres now and still going strong...

this was taken from my parents house a few hours ago.

233468F6-A758-42CA-8BCF-9C395F27ED63.jpeg

Stay safe out there my friend.. Fires are horrible and seem to take aim in all directions and leave nothing untouched..

Stay safe out there my friend.. Fires are horrible and seem to take aim in all directions and leave nothing untouched..
Will do. It’s got a ways to go before it starts threatening homes. But there are mountain cabins definitely in danger for some folks.

Auto Transport Service
Back