• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Alignment with new Suspension-Epic Fail!!!

You can buy camber plates for about $75 for a decent set so you don't have to mess with greased sheet metal.

I also prefer a toe gauge that measures on the insides of the wheels and can lock at the measurement instead of those flat plates you put on the outside and use a tape measure.

Did a partial alignment. To get the car on the road. String from back tires to front tires. Use bubble level too check canter and camber. The guy at my alignment shop said I was not far off. When doing alignment at our station had a weight to put on steering wheel so it was straight or centered. I did remind him that I wanted the steering wheel centered. I just had a popping noise. Coming from the passenger side of the car. Have my radiator out right now and found my QA1 struts needed to be torqued down again. Things work loose after first install. The noise was when turning the wheels. To make a turn left or right.

I knew it was going to happen. Just had that bad feeling. Took it to a reputable (supposedly) alignment guy. Told him to get me as much Caster as possible, 1/8 toe in and .50-.75 camber if possible and I told him to stick his final alignment numbers in the car. Well when I got back home there was no alignment sheet to see the final numbers. The car drove awful, pulled
To the right and it wouldn’t return to center because there was no center I’m telling you, you can’t make this crap up. I called the guy and told him I wanted my money back, said I was crazy and the car drove good I asked for my alignment sheet and he couldn’t provide one. I talked to Peter Bergman and he suspects the guy probably messed with my Qa1 adjustable strut rods after I told the alignment guy they’re for not getting any caster and gave him instructions from Qa1 explaining what they are meant for. Well let’s try another alignment guy. It never ends.

hard to find some one to line old cars nowadays...

I knew it was going to happen. Just had that bad feeling. Took it to a reputable (supposedly) alignment guy. Told him to get me as much Caster as possible, 1/8 toe in and .50-.75 camber if possible and I told him to stick his final alignment numbers in the car. Well when I got back home there was no alignment sheet to see the final numbers. The car drove awful, pulled to the right and it wouldn’t return to center because there was no center
First off, I feel your pain!
I have become like my career LEO dad in some ways, I am vigilant regarding my surroundings and who is doing what, but moreso, I have a very difficult time not discussing DETAILS that "should" be assumed, I just can't bring myself to "assume" ANYTHING except that if I don't review my expectations AND the route to get there, well I always regret not having gone over what any professional should know and do...
I usually apologize in advance, and then I go over the details of my expectations and what I believe it will take to get there.
I have always brought my 70 Roadrunner to the "old guy" Mr. Jerry down the road from my house. Accurate Alignment is the shop name, and I met him through a friend who was rebuilding classic cars, he used Mr. Jerry for all the alignments.
The first time I brought my car there, with all stock front suspension parts, he was the ONLY one who noticed my passenger side UCA was bent!! Not having my car very long, I wasn't aware of my options, like a pair of QA1 tubular UCAs that would have swapped in w/the rest being factory parts, so I spent too much w/Stephen's Performance for a nice, used factory UCA. Mr Jerry was VERY thorough, but he said he didn't have enough adjustment capability w/the factory setup to get the alignment "perfect" but he got it as good as he could, and I believe him.
When I had a LOT of what's in my signature installed, I replaced EVERYTHING in the front suspension, ALL QA1 except for the UCAs, which are SPC, because the "dual turnbuckle" design makes for a LOT of adjustability, and I swore I'd never hear "Your parts don't allow enough adjustment"
I just got my 2nd ever alignment with the all new front suspension, but I went to a local Goodyear shop. The MAIN reason is my best friend just bought a 71 Duster race car, but literally feared that it would kill him over 60 MPH or so, because the front suspension was that WHACKED OUT. He got Pat at Goodyear to do the alignment, and he goes WFO now at the track, and highly recommended him. The store manager and my friend and I all go back to our teenage years, so I went for it.
He did a GREAT job, and I'm happy to have a couple of options now that I can TRUST!

First off, I feel your pain!
I have become like my career LEO dad in some ways, I am vigilant regarding my surroundings and who is doing what, but moreso, I have a very difficult time not discussing DETAILS that "should" be assumed, I just can't bring myself to "assume" ANYTHING except that if I don't review my expectations AND the route to get there, well I always regret not having gone over what any professional should know and do...
I usually apologize in advance, and then I go over the details of my expectations and what I believe it will take to get there.
I have always brought my 70 Roadrunner to the "old guy" Mr. Jerry down the road from my house. Accurate Alignment is the shop name, and I met him through a friend who was rebuilding classic cars, he used Mr. Jerry for all the alignments.
The first time I brought my car there, with all stock front suspension parts, he was the ONLY one who noticed my passenger side UCA was bent!! Not having my car very long, I wasn't aware of my options, like a pair of QA1 tubular UCAs that would have swapped in w/the rest being factory parts, so I spent too much w/Stephen's Performance for a nice, used factory UCA. Mr Jerry was VERY thorough, but he said he didn't have enough adjustment capability w/the factory setup to get the alignment "perfect" but he got it as good as he could, and I believe him.
When I had a LOT of what's in my signature installed, I replaced EVERYTHING in the front suspension, ALL QA1 except for the UCAs, which are SPC, because the "dual turnbuckle" design makes for a LOT of adjustability, and I swore I'd never hear "Your parts don't allow enough adjustment"
I just got my 2nd ever alignment with the all new front suspension, but I went to a local Goodyear shop. The MAIN reason is my best friend just bought a 71 Duster race car, but literally feared that it would kill him over 60 MPH or so, because the front suspension was that WHACKED OUT. He got Pat at Goodyear to do the alignment, and he goes WFO now at the track, and highly recommended him. The store manager and my friend and I all go back to our teenage years, so I went for it.
He did a GREAT job, and I'm happy to have a couple of options now that I can TRUST!
Got snake bit today taking the 71 roadrunner to “a good alignment guy” 30 year professional. Bull shat. Took two days and when they handed me the print out I alerted them to the clear out of spec caster.
Tech said it’s as good as he can get it and it drives fine. Well I’m pissed at this point and I just decide to pay and leave. Car is dangerous to drive. Incredibly difficult darting around. Not sure what’s next other than getting my 173 dollars back tomorrow and finding someone else. Totally rebuilt factory style suspension. Do I need adjustable uppers and strut rods to be able to find an alignment guy to make the car usable.
Sorry to high jack someones thread. Venting

71806620949__0849F235-03AB-4158-A5C9-DFB159C8342C.jpeg

Got snake bit today taking the 71 roadrunner to “a good alignment guy” 30 year professional. Bull shat. Took two days and when they handed me the print out I alerted them to the clear out of spec caster.
Tech said it’s as good as he can get it and it drives fine. Well I’m pissed at this point and I just decide to pay and leave. Car is dangerous to drive. Incredibly difficult darting around. Not sure what’s next other than getting my 173 dollars back tomorrow and finding someone else. Totally rebuilt factory style suspension. Do I need adjustable uppers and strut rods to be able to find an alignment guy to make the car usable.
Sorry to high jack someones thread. Venting

View attachment 1534384
Its not the alignment shops fault. Its your car. They can only adjust it within the range of adjustment. With that much negative caster you have something wrong parts wise. My bets are you have the upper control arms on the wrong sides.

Its not the alignment shops fault. Its your car. They can only adjust it within the range of adjustment. With that much negative caster you have something wrong parts wise. My bets are you have the upper control arms on the wrong sides.
Thanks. This is what I am hoping for ideas.

It’s not the alignment shops fault. It’s your car. They can only adjust it within the range of adjustment. With that much negative caster you have something wrong parts wise. My bets are you have the upper control arms on the wrong sides.
This is the passenger rear upper control arm bolt. Seems there is still plenty of movement to the left which would I think pull the upper ball joint to the rear for postive caster. Going to check the upper to make sure they are on right side tomorrow. Sure I have them right. But I will take the advice and double check. Thanks.

IMG_5646.png

This is the passenger rear upper control arm bolt. Seems there is still plenty of movement to the left which would I think pull the upper ball joint to the rear for postive caster. Going to check the upper to make sure they are on right side tomorrow. Sure I have them right. But I will take the advice and double check. Thanks.

View attachment 1534468
With the numbers that far off something is really wrong and the only quick logic is the upper arms. Post a pic of your arms.

About the carpet bomb this problem.

View attachment 1534484
Those SPC UCAs are the ONLY non-QA1 part in my front suspension.
Why? Because ONE TIME hearing "You don't have enough adjustment capability in your factory UCAs" was enough for me. I will only add that I was unaware of offset bushings.
I just got my front suspension alignment (only the 2nd ever, the first was right out of the shop that installed the majority of components in my signature). The alignment came out great, and then my block got ventilated...

They look right. Did you install off set upper bushings?
No, this does not look right.

1696395161761.png

There is no eccentric washer and the hardware is not correct in the slightest. The bolt is dead center in the range of adjustment with no way to adjust. A smart alignment guy would have seen this and immediately stopped work since there is no adjustment with this piece of junk bolt, nut and washer combination.

No, this does not look right.

View attachment 1534505

There is no eccentric washer and the hardware is not correct in the slightest. The bolt is dead center in the range of adjustment with no way to adjust. A smart alignment guy would have seen this and immediately stopped work since there is no adjustment with this piece of junk bolt, nut and washer combination.
Good point! It should look more like this...

1696397438863.png

Auto Transport Service
Back