• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Alignment with new Suspension-Epic Fail!!!

The bolts have the eccentric washers that allow the control arm to move laterally out or in the slotted hole. The eccentric washers keep the control arm in place once they are tight.

UCA Z5.jpg

The edges of the eccentric washers rest against the ridges at the end of the orange arrows shown here:

UCA Z8.png

That round washer under the nut is worthless. The bolt can still shift around, changing alignment.

No, this does not look right.

View attachment 1534505

There is no eccentric washer and the hardware is not correct in the slightest. The bolt is dead center in the range of adjustment with no way to adjust. A smart alignment guy would have seen this and immediately stopped work since there is no adjustment with this piece of junk bolt, nut and washer combination.
The eccentric washer is the first in the stack. Then the lock washer and now a flat washer that the alignment guy said he had to add to “get the adjustment to hold”.

View attachment 1534505

There is no eccentric washer and the hardware is not correct in the slightest. The bolt is dead center in the range of adjustment with no way to adjust. A smart alignment guy would have seen this and immediately stopped work since there is no adjustment with this piece of junk bolt, nut and washer combination.
I agree that it is in the center of the adjustment. Not saying this would solve the problem but I feel like the alignment guy has more to work with. I did not rush them at all. Kept the car for two solid work days.

The bolts have the eccentric washers that allow the control arm to move laterally out or in the slotted hole. The eccentric washers keep the control arm in place once they are tight.

View attachment 1534512

The edges of the eccentric washers rest against the ridges at the end of the orange arrows shown here:

View attachment 1534518

That round washer under the nut is worthless. The bolt can still shift around, changing alignment.
Here is a pic from the other side but the front upper control arm showing the eccentric.

IMG_5652.png

View attachment 1534505

My comment was on the arms being on the right sides. Nothing to do with the cams or hardware.

View attachment 1534505

My comment was on the arms being on the right sides. Nothing to do with the cams and hardware. Looks to me like the cam might be pointed down and no lock washer.

There IS some "eccentricity" to that washer but I agree it does not look right.

I agree that it is in the center of the adjustment. Not saying this would solve the problem but I feel like the alignment guy has more to work with. I did not rush them at all. Kept the car for two solid work days.
If it took them two days to align a car, they are idiots.
You deserve better.

I have a custom 1983 dodge van with triple rear axels. The alignment tech. Said he couldn't do it because of the extra axles. And the shop owner yelled at him to do a regular alignment and ignore those rear extra axles. Worked perfectly drove it to Alaska and back to Florida With no odd wear patterns on all 8 wheels! LOL! Find a better alignment shop or watch some you tube videos and align it yourself. It's not that crazy difficult.
20200709_182217.jpg

Got snake bit today taking the 71 roadrunner to “a good alignment guy” 30 year professional. Bull shat. Took two days and when they handed me the print out I alerted them to the clear out of spec caster.
Tech said it’s as good as he can get it and it drives fine. Well I’m pissed at this point and I just decide to pay and leave. Car is dangerous to drive. Incredibly difficult darting around. Not sure what’s next other than getting my 173 dollars back tomorrow and finding someone else. Totally rebuilt factory style suspension. Do I need adjustable uppers and strut rods to be able to find an alignment guy to make the car usable.
Sorry to high jack someones thread. Venting

View attachment 1534384
Your rear axle could use some alignment shims also.

Maybe I have been lucky. I've never needed anything like those axle/spring shims to get my cars to track straight.
People will try to sell you things like this that may not be needed.
You just need a decent mechanic. The Mopar suspension isn't wild or exotic but since our cars were not as common as GM, there are not as many still around and the mechanics that are familiar with them are fewer in numbers.

Set the toe and let it go, the clock is ticking. This is the mantra for many places. Keep looking.

For 4 wheel "thrust angle" alignments?

I's been so long since I've done a ford, I don't even remember what they use.

...but for most folks, if it ain't got shims, they freak out and their brains seize up.

Maybe I have been lucky. I've never needed anything like those axle/spring shims to get my cars to track straight.
People will try to sell you things like this that may not be needed.
You just need a decent mechanic. The Mopar suspension isn't wild or exotic but since our cars were not as common as GM, there are not as many still around and the mechanics that are familiar with them are fewer in numbers.
I have my fingers crossed. Talk to an old shop owner moments ago. Seems like a one man show. The conversation with him is what got me wanting to give him a try. Told him the numbers from the first guys print out. He said “oh no. Son negative castor is for shopping carts. Bring your damn car over here and I’ll get your happy after I dig the old mopar wrenches out the bottom of the tool box and knock the dust off them”
Got an appointment for next Wednesday.

Auto Transport Service
Back