• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Gen flow thru ventilation

G.V.Charger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:41 PM
Reaction score
The first gen flow thru trunk ventilation system. Is it, or could it be considered part of the aero design for racing, or just designed, to keep the back window from popping out. If anyone here has some, HVAC, sheet metal, or duct work designer, just looking at the lay out, will raise eye brows.... I have an idea, anyone else?

IMO it is simply designed to increase air flow through the car
They have an incredible amount of air moving through the open air vents under the dash
Those vents reduce air pressure in the cab and even make closing the doors easier

Geez, everyone know what those vents are for. At 100 mph, you open the fresh air vent and that blast of air goes through the cabin, through the two trunk flaps into the trunk. If the trunk lid gasket seals properly, the air can only exit the trunk through the drain holes at the bottom of the rear quarter panels behind the tires. That blast of air toward the ground lifts the rear end improving air flow across the fastback. It worked so well lifting the rear end they had to make the first ever spoiler for a car to keep it down. lol

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I believe there is sale's brochure info show air passing out the edge of the trunk lid.

Checked some measurements the other day,the four vent holes with the flaps equal 25.5 in. and the six holes that feed it are larger than that,(did not have time to check exact measurement, will today)

If you follow the path around the outer trunk seal down to the edge of the tail light, the path whittles down to to 3/4 by 3/4 openings. That is a major dam, from a ventilation stand point, something else is going on. The first gen Charger had a very low pressure spot in the fast back area, that according to history, would be 180 mile an hour issue. The more I look at it the more it makes sense, they were force feeding the low pressure area, with high pressure air thru the gaps on the trunk lid, far fetched, hmmm.. 48 inches across he top, 25 down each side, equal's 98 in of 1/4 gap. Then if you check out old race photo's you will notice first gens seem to run races with the windows down?

Drain holes????

NOT... pretty funny.....

Although my story of the high speed air flow was made up, there are indeed drains at the bottom of the rear quarter panels behind the rear wheels. The rubber drain plugs have drains built in. These two plugs are unlike any others on the car (with a drain built in).

Post # 4. Having the vent outlets in a low pressure area would help suck the air through the vent thru system. I really don't see how it could counteract the fastback's natural tendency to lift. And, if the vents aren't in a low pressure area wouldn't the system be useless? Now, of course, I could be wrong.
Question is, would a NASCAR racer retain the vent thru system?
David Pearson described driving a 1st Gen Charger at racing speeds as "like dancing with a fat girl on roller skates."
Another question, what is the wind noise like with the windows rolled up? I think a vent thru system should reduce wind noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back