• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First start for the 67 this weekend

I love the high compression high lift sound! got a real good crisp pop to the idle. If you listen close enough you can here it from the behind shot..... Once again, cell phones dont get the best audio...

UT OH.....
I put the timing light on it and found it to be way high! The base timing is etting at 25deg for it to even run decent! I try to back it down to something reasonable and it slows way to far down,,, chuggs, runs rough, has no throttle responce.... AWFULL! It doesn't even start at that point... just turns over like a too retard ignition would act like? I even had in cough through the intake once when trying to dial it back to a lower value around 15deg. I have no vac adv on this, just weights "mechanical". The module is dead on my Mallory so this dist is an old points type with the vac adv removed, just to get it started up. I just don't get it why it starts and runs good with it advanced this far? I would think that if it were 25deg adv base line, it would buck and crank hard when starting. It does not do this at all...... Starts great and has throttle responce with it set high.
I didnt have a piston stop at home, but did feel the piston rise to the TDC "give or take" and the 0 line on the balancer appeared to line up with the timing tab too?? This is an SFI rated aftermarket balancer, thats why I double checked physical timing marks. Without a degree wheel bolted on and a piston stop, I can't be accurate to the degree, but this is close enough I would think to say yep it's at least close to being lined up at TDC.
When the RPM is brought up, I dont notice any weird tendancies with the engines performance,,,, Just seems to feel strong and revs quickly.
I did notice that the new carb base gasket seemed to leak just a touch when doing the carb cleaner spray test checking for leaks. I flipped it over and tightened back down,,, didn't seem to leak like it did before, but no change in running.
Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?

Im pulling the timing cover tomorrow. I know i lined things up correctly with the 2 deg offset bushing installed but it doesnt hurt to check.

Hope to hear stories of a tire-killin' machine soon.............love 67's.

UT OH.....
I put the timing light on it and found it to be way high! The base timing is etting at 25deg for it to even run decent! I try to back it down to something reasonable and it slows way to far down,,, chuggs, runs rough, has no throttle responce.... AWFULL! It doesn't even start at that point... just turns over like a too retard ignition would act like? I even had in cough through the intake once when trying to dial it back to a lower value around 15deg. I have no vac adv on this, just weights "mechanical". The module is dead on my Mallory so this dist is an old points type with the vac adv removed, just to get it started up. I just don't get it why it starts and runs good with it advanced this far? I would think that if it were 25deg adv base line, it would buck and crank hard when starting. It does not do this at all...... Starts great and has throttle responce with it set high.
I didnt have a piston stop at home, but did feel the piston rise to the TDC "give or take" and the 0 line on the balancer appeared to line up with the timing tab too?? This is an SFI rated aftermarket balancer, thats why I double checked physical timing marks. Without a degree wheel bolted on and a piston stop, I can't be accurate to the degree, but this is close enough I would think to say yep it's at least close to being lined up at TDC.
When the RPM is brought up, I dont notice any weird tendancies with the engines performance,,,, Just seems to feel strong and revs quickly.
I did notice that the new carb base gasket seemed to leak just a touch when doing the carb cleaner spray test checking for leaks. I flipped it over and tightened back down,,, didn't seem to leak like it did before, but no change in running.
Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?
Why not just lock the timing out at the full amount? My set up is locked at 33 or so and with an MSD start retard it lights up instantly. Your set up won't like less timing.

Auto Transport Service
Back