• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix-A-Flat Product

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Still hunting for a spare for my Dakota that fits. I have Ram 1500 wheels on it - inch over the stock wheels. Truck is AWD so using my original wheels isn't an option. I'm getting new tires on it in a couple weeks, there's still probably a few thousand miles left on them, but don't prefer to run them down to the wear-bars before replacing them. A few nasty experiences with well-worn rubber over the decades makes me more wary.

Meantime I need to make a 400 mile trek and thinking to have a can of the fix-flat as a go to if I get a flat tire. Many various stories about this stuff from crap to having the stuff in a tire for years w/o a problem. Since the tires are going to be replaced soon anyway, does anyone have any advice pro-con on this stuff?
Thanks

Buy the SLIME brand, fix a flat can be hit or miss. 440'

Make sure to tell your tire guy you used it before he breaks it down. He'll :thankyou:
Yeah - tire isn't the hassle since replacing; but not sure what mess is left on the wheel.

I've experienced no issues when this stuff is left in the wheel for a few years, in my experience. Even in the ATV and lawn tractor when used. But I too can attest to the mess inside when you remove the tire.

Last edited:
Original fix a flat was flammable. Stories of people smoking being ignited when changing tire. They either changed the formula or propellant or both. Check the can. Makes a mess but better than a tow in the middle of nowhere.

Original fix a flat was flammable. Stories of people smoking being ignited when changing tire. They either changed the formula or propellant or both. Check the can. Makes a mess but better than a tow in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks, did catch that looking up products on the web, got the non-flammable stuff.

What size wheels are you looking for.

I hung on to a set of styled steel Ram wheels because my very knowledgeable Mopar parts guy friend said- "people like to use these for a full size spare".

...but so fay I have sold none of them at swap meets.

IIRC they are 17x9, but I will need to measure for sure, and they are stamped Mopar and made somewhere in South America.

For several decades-

AWD typically refers to a vehicle that is normally FWD

4WD typically refers to a vehicle that is normally RWD.

The usage has been blurred my the MFG the past few years.

I think you meant 4WD.
It's a full-optioned Laramie Dakota - yep has AWD. Was surprised when I flew out to pick it up, advertised as a 4WD. Best truck I ever had driving in slippery weather. Restored it two years ago expecting to keep it long as I'm around. Despite the schmuck ruining some of the resto crashing into the rear a month ago. Grrr. All repairable glad to say.

Dak resto 15.jpg

AWD Dak.jpg

IIRC they are 17x9
They're 17" and looking for 7" or so wide for the tires I have on it. P265/70's. 6.5" I've found to buy look a bit too narrow for this rubber...

I will dig one out and measure it.

...but shipping...

I will dig one out and measure it.

...but shipping...
Greatly appreciate it YY1, yeah shipping it could be too much of a hassle. Don't see many under 70-75 bucks, but more are higher. One I had my eye on a Dorman wheel was around that; but was a 6.5" so passed. Well, if you happen to measure it you could PM on what you want for it and I can check out shipping costs to see what that'd be.

Greatly appreciate it YY1, yeah shipping it could be too much of a hassle. Don't see many under 70-75 bucks, but more are higher. One I had my eye on a Dorman wheel was around that; but was a 6.5" so passed. Well, if you happen to measure it you could PM on what you want for it and I can check out shipping costs to see what that'd be.

Don't you have a "You Pull It" yard around there?

Don't you have a "You Pull It" yard around there?
Checked bone yards around here...I'm sure they have wheels given how many Dodge trucks have been around but they tell me nope we have none. Don't know if it's not worth their time to pull 'em out or something. Only U picks around here (well about 40-50 miles out) are OLD yards I've been to years past picking myself for my Ply. Doubt one will be around much longer. Owner died. Good Lord, that one has many from the 40's-60's too, many BURIED in mud and trees growing through some. Others, need a chainsaw to get to them. Sad.

It's a full-optioned Laramie Dakota - yep has AWD. Was surprised when I flew out to pick it up, advertised as a 4WD. Best truck I ever had driving in slippery weather. Restored it two years ago expecting to keep it long as I'm around. Despite the schmuck ruining some of the resto crashing into the rear a month ago. Grrr. All repairable glad to say.

View attachment 1486563

View attachment 1486564

Maybe check FB Market Place or Craigslist.

My 03 is 4WD. I didn't realize they went to AWD. That makes it crucial to have all four tires exactly the same. Even same wear condition.

Mine...
20230629_170414.jpg

didn't realize they went to AWD
I had no clue AWD was available, was surprised when I went to check out the 4W. Dealer didn't know it either. With all the options it has doesn't have the rear window that opens, miss that.

Auto Transport Service
Back