• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fix It Again Tony!

Seen it yesterday. Makes one wonder just how safe new cars are.
For some reason I have a big problem with total electronic control.
Could that be because I have worked with computers since 1985 and seen way to many system failures, hacks and program flaws?

IT industry since 91

Everyone fawns all over electronic "i" everything in one breath, and in the next frets over hacks and manipulation...

...never seemingly able to connect the two...

Just think of how many times your computer or other techno device has failed. Now, think of that while in your autonomous car.

Just think of how many times your computer or other techno device has failed. Now, think of that while in your autonomous car.
Autonomous or semi-autonomous is being used in aircraft. The makings of a disaster, literally. I've got plenty of stories of computers doing stupid stuff and causing accidents.
The USair Hudson river ditching being one of them.

One of my favorites is the testing of a new light business jet. The pilot made a hard landing and his hands were on the throttles (where they should be) and this caused the control quadrant to deform (yes, it was inadequately designed). Anyway, the deformed quadrant caused the sensors to read 'funny'. The computer put both engines to full power. The plane began flying again (pilot had no choice). To fix the problem, the pilot would be required to toggle to a menu page, scroll down, select, reset config. and manually tell the computer what to do. All while racing through the skies at full power. The pilot elected to shut the fuel off on one engine. He then made his approach with one engine at full power and when within gliding distance he shut off fuel to the other engine.
Computers can do amazing things. Just because they can do something doesn't mean they should.

My '15 Renegade has those same CC controls, but curiously, isn't named in the recall.

I purposefully sought out a manual transmission in part to avoid all of the issues with late model gear selectors, and the complexity, high failure rate, and service expense of late model automatic transmissions.

The only problem now is to get a PU with manual you have to go 1 ton
So now I have 2018 Ram 1500 auto that is on the recall
Should have kept my V10 5 spd

My '15 Renegade has those same CC controls, but curiously, isn't named in the recall.

I purposefully sought out a manual transmission in part to avoid all of the issues with late model gear selectors, and the complexity, high failure rate, and service expense of late model automatic transmissions.
I sure wanted a manual transmission in my '03 Intrepid. The electronic shift solenoids are inside the transmission. Yeh, I've had to replace them.

The only problem now is to get a PU with manual you have to go 1 ton
So now I have 2018 Ram 1500 auto that is on the recall
Should have kept my V10 5 spd
That manual isn't tied to the computer?

I'm sure parts of it are, but you know for sure what gear you're in, unlike a shift by wire auto.

I am a little scared of the electronic parking brake, though.

Good luck using that as an emergency brake- it's either "off" or "on". Not much in between.

Auto Transport Service
Back