• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers?

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score
Anyone running the FlowFX mufflers.?? And are you happy with the sound and it's level? Gotta do something with this noisy brown turd before we go deaf, with it's no name copies of I suspect Flowmaster 40's at the noisy end of Holley's decibel scale.

Anyone running the FlowFX mufflers.?? And are you happy with the sound and it's level? Gotta do something with this noisy brown turd before we go deaf, with it's no name copies of I suspect Flowmaster 40's at the noisy end of Holley's decibel scale.

Sounds like you might be better off with a turbo muffler. Both Dynomax and Pypes make a very nice turbo muffler. Here are some sound clips-
https://www.classicmusclecarexhaust...y/2-5-Dynomax-Super-Turbo-Mufflers-p231638939

I have FM 50's on mine (3", X, and headers) that sound cool; but too noisy with some droning. Depends on how much sound one prefers; but after a long study, I ordered the Hemi mufflers from Accurate Exhaust. Several forum members recommended them. Searching for mufflers is like reading a menu at a Greek restaurant. I had some others in mind that sounded good; but didn't want to end up with too much sound after going through the hassle of changing them out. Waiting for them to arrive. Now I wonder what other noises my ride has been making that I've been unable to hear, lol.

Not gonna get those big Hemi cans under the Dart. I also don't want to change the pipes, or hangers, so stuck with similar dimensions to what's under the car. 2.5" in and out.
1969dartswinger240milecheckup 048.JPG

im using the flowFx’s

switched from the FM 40’s

sounds very punchy without any drone or large metal sound

i liked the 40’s but i just needed to fab up an entire exhaust when the tko went in

watermelon

BD9C7AB1-5591-4901-AB45-4B3820B89F05.jpeg B95F53DA-F03B-47EA-9AB5-1588006DABFA.jpeg 0E26CA1A-AD60-41BA-B029-A7C58BE171CE.jpeg

If you want it quieter, and you dont have room, or dont want to go to a bigger longer muffler, i think you are stuck with a turbo style triple pass. I think a same-size straight-thru wont be any quieter, and if you dont have room for a three chamber flowmaster in place of the two chamber knockoff you have now, a chambered muffler wont make much difference.
I gotta agree with CMCE, i think you need a quality turbo, with 2 1/2 tubes all through, no neck down. If you have room forward of where your mufflers are now, longer is quieter.

I'm just going by Flowmasters own chart.. same size and they show the 40 the loudest, then Super 44, then Super 40 a bunch of others and then the FlowFX midway in their LOUD to Quiet chart.

The way the front pipes were bent I can't cut them to get them in a straight on muffler line up if I go longer.. and I'm not doing a full system, unless it includes going back to HP stock manifolds..

I’ve got Dynomaxs on the Belvedere, pretty quiet, no droning, almost too quiet. 2 1/2” offset in, center out, looks to be about the same dimensions as yours.

Tell us about that patch on the rear axle. Is there a funny/sad story attached?
Mike

Tell us about that patch on the rear axle. Is there a funny/sad story attached?
Mike
Covered it in my cleanup thread. Was convinced to leave it for posterity vs fixing the pot. Someone grenaded the OE 3.23 at some point in time not long ago, as it has a brand new Yukon 3.55 pumpkin in it.
1969dartcleanupweek10 023.JPG

I’ve got Dynomaxs on the Belvedere, pretty quiet, no droning, almost too quiet. 2 1/2” offset in, center out, looks to be about the same dimensions as yours.
Thanks! The 14" Dynomax Super Turbo?? #DYN17734 ???

Is adding resonators an option? Would be much cheaper than buying two new mufflers and would quiet down your exhaust note considerably, if that's what you want.

I got some put on after the mufflers on my 64 Newport and they are amazing! Still has a mean tone but it is not what I would call loud. No drone at all in the cabin.

VibrantPerformanceUniversalResonator.jpg

When a person is concern with noise level the name flowmaster doesn’t fit into that equation whatsoever!

Is adding resonators an option? Would be much cheaper than buying two new mufflers and would quiet down your exhaust note considerably, if that's what you want.

I got some put on after the mufflers on my 64 Newport and they are amazing! Still has a mean tone but it is not what I would call loud. No drone at all in the cabin.

View attachment 1115532
Not sure I could get those in on the passenger side..
1969dartcleanupweek17 137.JPG

Ordered a pair of Dynomax 17733 Super Turbo's off of Amazon for $120 all in. Free shipping to boot vs $52 shipping if I wanted them a day earlier! LOL. I'll see how they work out when I get time to install them.
dynomax17733.jpg

Flowmasters suck.
Have them on my pro street challenger, and they are always scraping even though the ride height is close to stock.

I am going to completely redo the exhaust (except the headers, Hooker super comps!) because the previous owner was stupid and put the most restrictive exhaust ever on a 900hp blown big block, must kill 150hp... I guess he was thinking velocity? He put 3in to 2.5in adapters on the header flange, put giant restrictive Flowmasters on, and then necked it down again past the mufflers to a 2in tailpipe. No x or h pipe, no cutouts.

I am going to put a full 3in exhaust with cutouts and glasspacks before Carlisle.

I'm not even going to deal with it on the Charger. I'm just going to put 3in Purple Hornies right on the back of the headers with no tailpipe.

Last edited:
Let us know how the super turbos work out.

The FlowFX mufflers look similar to the Dynomax welded ultraflow I had on a 1968 440 Dart. 2 1/2" Pypes brand full exhaust with X pipe. They were too loud and had a drone. I thought about adding glasspacks as resonators in the tail pipe like @Garngie suggested but never did.

My problem with super turbos besides being restrictive, is one good backfire could destroy them.

I have used a few sets on Dynomax Super Turbo 2.5" mufflers, and like them. Fairly quiet, but that seems to be what I prefer as I age. I used a set of them in 3" on my Bee and they are noticeably louder than the 2.5" versions. I used to run Flowmasters years ago, but the noise and drone drove me nuts after awhile. Tried their 50 series once, I think it is listed as a RV application. That was much better than the 40 series, but still kind of obnoxious.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back