• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

Apparently they made a few different sets!
https://m.ebay.com/itm/LIONEL-MOPAR...662867&hash=item544606a8a3:g:ID0AAOSwB-1Y7XKy

s-l400 (5).jpg
s-l400 (6).jpg
s-l400 (7).jpg

After a derailment jammed everything up on this rail bridge, momentum of a few thousand tons of rolling stock just kept on pushing and crushing...

One of my friends returned from cleaning up a derailment and described how one end of a rail car was driven nearly 30 feet underground.

This is my new lower level staging yard.
There are 6 tracks that can hold a 10-12 car train, and 4 more of smaller capacity.
To the left will be an engine storage area and a turntable, plus a switch lead.
To the right is an "empties in/loads out" area for the new coal mine.

Yes, those are hollow core doors. I bought 8 of them from Lowes @ $7 ea because they had splits on one side. 4 more at a thrift store for $10 ea and the dark ones I found beside the road at various times. All in good shape.

IMG_20171231_122635.jpg

This is the coal mine scene.
Here I'm testing the passing track capacity.
I pan on having 10-12 car max length through freights.
I'll also have mine runs of about 9 cars.
The locals can be any length up to 12 based on need but will likely be about 6-8.

The track with the 2 hoppers and the one behind it will go through to the staging area, hidden behind a stand of trees. That way the empties can keep coming in and loads can keep coming out.

I just installed those LED lights. You can't see them if you're standing.
Lower level height is 38" Upper is currently 56".

IMG_20171231_122501.jpg

Here's temporary yard I put together, basically to test my new turntable indexer.
2 classification tracks, and an inbound/outbound track with a runaround.
About the minimum to actually operate.
Plus the service tracks to test the TT.

IMG_20171231_122535.jpg
IMG_20171231_122547.jpg
IMG_20171231_122600.jpg
IMG_20171231_122607.jpg
IMG_20171231_122619.jpg

I just got done making the motor mount for the TT motor.

It's a stepper motor with a gear reduction head that has a final drive of .5 RPM and according to the MFG 65 ft/lbs of torque!

The breadboard with the push buttons selects the programmed track and the big button on the circuit board executes. The black box has the PROM with the control logic. I had to teach it where the tracks were.

Eventually that medium TT will come out, and a small pass station, maybe a small industry, and a passing siding for trains waiting on the helix will be constructed on those two doors. The TT will move to the top level, where the real permanent classification yard will be.

I'll likely just replicate what i had before I almost switched to N scale, as it worked pretty good but didn't have anywhere "off stage" for cars or trains to go.

Now I'll have a 70% longer run for some trains, plus a major industry, another passenger stop and a place to store cars and engines without handling them on and off the rails.

BTW post 11 is an M1 Mountain class 4-8-2.

There's a 1/87 version of one inside that engine house in the pic above.
That one set my pulling record at 68 cars...because I ran out!

The others are 2x H10 class 2-8-0 and L1 class 2-8-2. MUCH more suited to an environment the size of my layout.

They all have network cards (DCC decoders) with sound.

Last edited:
Ok I have to ask, I have a Tenshodo Sante Fe set w/o the power supply in its original box that was my cousin’s. Bought in Japan in late 50’s-early 60’s. I am no expert, not even close on HO gauge; so any comments? Pics are possible, Jeff.

Auto Transport Service
Back